Quantcast
For all of you pink floyd and peter gabriel lovers - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
For all of you pink floyd and peter gabriel lovers
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Great sound dude.

I have never come close to that level of perfection, and ive been at it a lot longer than you. I would be extremely proud of that record if I did it.

I know how it is when you make something, you really dont know how people will take it. You think its really good and you spent hard hours on every detail and making practically insignifigant changes.

Then you listen to someone elses stuff (who probably spent just as much time and effort) and you cant even finish listening to it. its depressing to know people cant make it through your record even once. When you've heard it like a thousand times.

I reconize the hard work put in to records, no critizism here great job !

PS sounds like a "record" to me, isnt that what we are all trying to do?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaellus ➡️
Right i can hear it AT is killing the song....i dont find it one bit organic , sounds plastic to me. lifeless. although the recordings are good no where near floyd status...now those albums where a sonic pleasure to listen to.
Sonically the music is good but I agree, contrived, not one bit original and it seems like they are trying way to hard to sound like something thats already been done. Lots of vocal tuning!

I will say it's better than 98% I have listened to on gearslutz though so I applaud the engineer and mixer.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7+1 ➡️
well i guess its time for me to chime in... I've avoided gearslutz for many many years for
one reason... BS.. was on it 5 years ago and got nothing but ridiculous opinions... but got 10 myspace requests about this forum... im not saying im better as an engineer than anyone here.. i was paid a very healthy salary to do what i did for this album... something any engineer would dream of... I 've read all of the post regarding ID. and some may be good and some may be bad.. im not here to judge but after looking into the background of all its... its always that the negative people never have anything beter to do then to be one here... IM 27.. IVE WORKED IN THIS FEILD FOR OVER 9 YEARS STRAIGHT.. and in that nine years... NEVER had the time to spend my days t o really bash someone for doing his job. as for this quote above... Dark skys... ive seen your site.. what you do and such i think youre a bit far out of your element.. i've heard your mixes and still cant grasp why you bash this.. None of the autotune is for pitch value but for effect.. what you said above is like saying... why do they even record to good equipment.. the song is so good... why do they use cgi...when you can imagine a dinosaur... why doesn't that band play air guitar... they can just fake it.... Its just a music video..they ARENT PLAYING ANYWAYS... ITs called EFFECT.. YOU CANT MAKE A PERSON SOUND ARTIFICIAL.. IM REALLY SORRY BRO.. BEEN IN WAY TOO MANY SESSIONS IN MY LIFE... JST DOEST WORK LIKE THAT..

AS FOR Chaellus... I'VE LOOKED THROUGH YOUR POSTS... CAN YOU BE ANYMORE OPINIONATED? DO YOU EVER WORK? SERIOUSLY?

THANK YOU ALL FOR SPENDING THE TIME LISTENING TO THIS PIECE THAT I SPENT MY YOUNGER YEARS CUTTING MY TEETH ON.. THANK YOU ALL FOR LISTENING TO THIS PIECE... THAT GOT ME INTO THE REAL INNER CIRCLE OF BILL SCHNEE AND DOUG SAX... AND THANK YOU ALL FOR LETTING ME LIVE A LIFE THAT I LOVE

TO ALL THAT BASH.. KEEP IT COMING... IT DOESNT FAZE ME A SECOND..

\P.S. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS WITH ANYTHING??? IM HERE.. I FEEL PEOPLE WILL NEED TO VENT AFTER READING THIS..
It is funny that most people that post all day long (mostly negative) are dudes that have no credentials at all and if they do post their work, your like...why is this dude commenting on my work when he should be out working on his skills.

It's very rare you see somebody on this site that states where they are at with posting work and then asking questions to help them perpetuate their skills. Instead, they start posting (after reading gearslutz for a while) and automatically assume a mentors position when they need to just listen and ask!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Thanks 7+1. I can't form enough opinion from short MP3 clips other than to know it was interesting enough to spend a few bucks and order the CD from CDBaby.

thumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
thnx
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I don't understand why so many engineers, mixers, etc. hate the sound of Auto Tune. I agree it's over used in R&B and Hip-Hop, but I would never decide if I liked or disliked a song based on whether or not you can hear the AT. I think Melodyne is great and if used properly on a good singer, most people can't tell it's being used. This is the AT that I like. Let's face it, most drum takes are edited to high hell, as are the vocals.
It sounds like you're talking about two different things...the "sound" of Auto Tune is when it's used for effect, or used wrong. If it can't be heard, then it's being used right...same goes for drum editing. I wouldn't go so far as to say that audioble tuning alone would make me dislike a song, but when I hear it or hear obvious drum edits they're certainly distracting at best.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod ➡️
Great! On The Edge would definitely be one I am interested in.
Snare sounds like Train ..you know, "Meet Virginia".
'
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox ➡️
Might I suggest, rather then worrying about "perfect pitch" and using computer programs to be "perfect" . . . spend more time checking out people like Paul Rogers, Aretha Franklin, Sinatra, Otis etc etc who stood in front of a mic (or held a SM58 in Rogers case) and did one or two takes . . . then left it alone. This whole AT thing for effect is going to sound very dated one day. One thing you can say about talent w/o computer effects is . . . . it will never be dated sounding. Actually, the way we are going, it might. Sad.

Blah, blah... You are old school. Don't say **** until you hear my recording. Then you can have an opinion
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
it ain't rocket science . . . .
this is you . . .right?
NewlyFormedMindset on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlyformedmind ➡️
Blah, blah... You are old school. Don't say **** until you hear my recording. Then you can have an opinion
7+1
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod ➡️
Great! On The Edge would definitely be one I am interested in.
lets see... if can remember... Brass snare... i do remember that.. deep as hell too..

57 and an original 414 on the top..through an api 3124.

and a 57 on the bottom.. through a 610.

glen johns overheads... two original 87s through an api again..

d112 on Kick inside and c12 outside about 2 feet away.. through 610s..

414s on toms to a vmp... which i love on toms... surprised?

an original km84 on hat through an api..

and two underheads.... ksm44 in omni... going through a drawmer 1960 with comp to death... thats what gave the kit a bottom booster..

thats it really..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
lets see... if can remember... Brass snare... i do remember that.. deep as hell too..

57 and an original 414 on the top..through an api 3124.

and a 57 on the bottom.. through a 610.

glen johns overheads... two original 87s through an api again..

d112 on Kick inside and c12 outside about 2 feet away.. through 610s..

414s on toms to a vmp... which i love on toms... surprised?

an original km84 on hat through an api..

and two underheads.... ksm44 in omni... going through a drawmer 1960 with comp to death... thats what gave the kit a bottom booster..

thats it really..
Cool. I'll have to try the C12 in front of the kick. Never did that before. And BTW take the criticism as a compliment. The fact that this record is mentioned in the same sentence with Pink Floyd tells me you guys did something right.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by camerondye ➡️
I heard autotune on both the male and female.

I just went to amazon and listened to as much as I could and I don't think I like the sound of anything on this album and I love Floyd/Gabriel type stuff as much or more than the next. I guess to each his own...
Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerondye ➡️
I personally didn't decide that I didn't care for it based on the Autotune, I just don't care for it at all. The reason Pink Floyd and Peter Gabriel are so amazing is because they mix in the down slow portions of music with angry violent heavy portions with everything in between and it's a roller coaster ride driven by a master. This album didn't do that for me, it seemed like it was mostly the downs and just not my cup of tea.

Also, the reason I don't like hearing Autotune is it sounds like fake BS. If you use it as an effect, then you use it on a portion not the whole album. I believe that stripping the talent out of things is not a good thing and it's a bad direction that we are heading. It's one thing to massage the voice back into pitch, it's another to get it back in tune with a sledghammer.

Does anybody else notice that there are fewer and fewer ugly singers than in the 60's-80's?...talent has taken a backseat to T&A because of technology. I know looks have always been important, don't get me wrong...it just seems everybody looks like a model...except amy winehouse.

Rap uses it because there are less options with production to make you sound different than everybody else. It's not like you have 4-5 people in your rap group doing there own style to add up to a certain sound like a band. I think that is one reason Dr. Dre's stuff ends up sounding so much better than everybody else, he uses great musicians and then beefs them up and it has a lot more of a human quality to it.

All of this is my opinion, and you don't have to agree with it but lets have a great day anyway.
cam

After 7+1's comments on the other page I did go back and read my posts and I want to clarify what I was saying in better terms because I can see how it could be misread. I know you didn't call me out by name so I assume you understood but I will clear it up just in case. When I refer to the sound of the album, I am referring to the songs on the album which I will reiterate that I don't care for. Even on "on the edge", the melody that the man is singing is not good. When I heard the girl come in I figured...awesome now the album kicks in and it went back to the same guy singing that melody with awful Autotune that I don't care for. Your client obviously wanted it that way and it's your job to provide your client with what he wants. But whatever...no more beating a dead horse.

The production/engineering of the album is obviously excellent but I thought that went without saying, it didn't seem like a post on check out my great production/engineering...it seemed like a buy this album because it's great. As stated in an earlier post in which I concur, it's of course way better than I could do on my best day. So with that, excellent job on production/enginerring and congrats which should have been part of my earlier post and I apologize for not being clearer.

BUT, check out the title of this thread and tell the class how they set this album up for failure on this forum? It sets almost anything up for failure short of PG/PF which has some of the best people at conveying raw emotion ever. Also, their are multiple threads named "For all of you pink floyd and peter gabriel lovers" which usually points to misuse and instantly sends people into flaming mode. I make an effort to be nice to others and hope this helped at least some...
Cam
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I dunno. It didn't speak to me, and I'm a huge PF fan. The lyrical content seemed pretty simplistic to me, not in a good way I mean. Sometimes simplicity is great. The first tune was almost painfully so.

I hate to be so negative, and I seldom am (about someone's music I mean.) I can find something enjoyable in most music. But it just didn't work for me for some reason.
7+1
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I WANT TO MAKE THIS PERFECTLY CLEAR TO ALL THE READERS OF THIS...

i did not in anyway have a thing to do with this post..i only came on here because of some strange myspace adds... Ive read all from everyone and want to state.. that though i feel pretty confident in the making and production of this album... the music is NOT my cup of tea... Micgiver posted "for all of you floyd and peter gabriel fans"... i think he meant something like.. hey check this record out... it has a vibe like this.. something that hasn't really been out there lately.. I dont believe he did in a ploy to get viewers to open his post.... why would he? he has zero connection to me or david abshire.. And again im definitely not on here to view the bashing remarks to bash back.. opinions are everywhere... the world would be dull and boring with out them.. Im just here because people asked a few questions regarding the productions... i didnt write the record... i didnt give abshire his strange voice... i was paid to what i did.. Im a bit tired of the negative private messages ive received.. i wont share names but they would be gems to post here... for all to see... bashing my engineering skill... coolness.. p.s. to the negitive.. I must suck... since i drive a new landrover... i must suck since i havent stoped working in 7 years straight... i must suck.... because you said so..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Actually, I totally get the autotune thing. I use it that way myself sometimes--it makes the vocal part of a work of fiction, instead of just a performance in a room. I think the recording sounds excellent, although don't care for the material (and I am a huge Floyd and PG fan).

-R
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

AS FOR Chaellus... I'VE LOOKED THROUGH YOUR POSTS... CAN YOU BE ANYMORE OPINIONATED? DO YOU EVER WORK? SERIOUSLY?

yes i work every day all day, i just go on here to see and discuss on gearslutz while on break so i stay sane...heh, my comments were toward me disliking the audible autotune sound and that to me its a vibe killer nothing else nothing more than that and maybe the topics header of it sounding like PG or PF which i like the later but found that it didnt sound like it. nevertheless your engineering skills are pretty damn good and i was never stating that it wasnt, i was just noting that it doesnt sound like PF to me which the OP discribed, unfortunatly if the aritst told you to put more autotune or make it more audible, its your duty to do it and you were just being a good engineer so there shouldnt be any need to feel attacked or so.. by the way hope you have a good evening ill be up for awhile.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
7+1

Glad to have you here talking about how you engineered the album. I think a lot of people might be surprised about the use of the UA610's on drums (I own some of these pre's but have never used them on drums). Was the Pre selection based on what was available or do you use this combo(3124's and 610's) frequently on drums? What process was used to record the drums? i.e. in a separate room or same room with the band etc... Were the drums tracked isolated from the other instruments? Any info you would be interested in sharing would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim Cochran
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I'm not sure why Peter Gabriel was compared to Pink Floyd. He has a couple of decent songs, but come on..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just briefly listened through this - very nice engineering/production. As other mentioned, it sounds like a 'record'. Reminiscent of many, many classics of the past. Top notch sound, and assembled in a manner that seems lost in the modern age...

That said, my honest opinion is: I like everything but the fellow's voice. Maybe it's just a personal preference, but his voice lacks the emotion/vibe/grit of a believable front man. The delivery somehow feels empty. Again, this is just MY opinion - the quality of the material and recording is top drawer tho.

It's refreshing to hear something like this - esp. after what seems an eternity of music without the 'album' concept!
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I got my CD today and I am ready to give my review. I paid my money, so I guess I’m entitled. heh

First, the positive:

Wow, great sounding record! I am a huge vinyl fan, but once in a while I do get a CD that lets me know that this media really is capable of great sound when recording and mastering engineers get it right. This record is a great example. The sounds and production really do stand out. And I have not heard new music this different and interesting in a long time, definitely original. If I had to put my finger on it, I'd say that it most reminds me of the Alan Parsons Project, nothing wrong with that. This is a gearslutz dream, the use of quality instruments, vocal recording, and slutz-worthy recording techniques as good as I've heard. I disagree with complaints about the vocals, very well done, and very appropriate for the music. The vocal sound is not the problem.

On the downside:

This is a record, which is not really sure where it is going. Just kind of meandering along with no real direction. It comes off as a big collection of experiments, trying one unique sound after the next. I felt as if it just kept throwing stuff at me. Really good sounds, fantastic sounds, but without coherency, nothing to really sink your teeth into. I don’t find any of the melodies or choruses going through my head. And I can’t remember anything it was trying to say. The song order could be changed with no one the wiser for it. A concept album with no real concept. I like the opening and reprise idea, but it doesn’t seem to be attached to anything in between.

Ultimately I think this is a dream unfulfilled. I like this record, and it offers so much, but there is just something missing, something that could have made it a real stand out in this age of mindless pop nothingness.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…