Quantcast
Where to go in L.A.? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Where to go in L.A.?
Old 26th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Where to go in L.A.?

The good news is I'm going to California for a 3-week holiday at the end of this week (well this is the "good news" forum, right?)

We're starting in L.A. Does anyone have any suggestions of where to go in L.A.? I don't have a clue. Nice areas, clubs, good places to eat?.........cool places to stroll around?.......thanx!
Old 26th March 2003
Founder

What r u into?
Old 26th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
erm, i dunno, i'm just after suggestions of cool areas to visit........obviously i could find the tourist rubbish quite easily......i'm after some inside info
Old 27th March 2003
VIP

🎧 15 years
If you are into Sushi, you HAVE to go see the Sushi ****. The place is called "NOZAWA" and is on Eureka Street off Ventura Blvd in Studio City. IMNSHO the best Sushi in the world (no kiddn). You can't order, he just gives you the best and freshest fish he's got. No California rolls or Spicy Tuna rolls. I have seen him kick people out because they kept ordering California Rolls and he would throw a handful of salt over their seat after they were gone, uttering the words: Bad Karma". He's got a sign saying: Todays menu: TRUST ME. It's a small place (space for about 25 people) but it's absolutely worth the wait. When I go to LA I go to NOZAWA's straight from the airport.
Old 27th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
thanks, mwagener........will check that out.......

.........c'mon chaps, only 24 hours to go before i hit L.A. like a ****ing tsunami..........anymore suggestions?........i'm just looking for cool areas to bowl about!
Old 27th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Nozama, ha! A stones throw from Scream Studios.

I think you are going to be suprised how dead LA gets after 2 am. Hit up the Burgandy Room on Cahuenga. They light the bar on fire anytime they play a Motley Crue song on the jukebox. If you walk across the street and through the back alleyway, there's a 'secret' club that you'll see a bouncer standing at. This place is called "The Room" and was in the movie "Swingers". Hit up Saddle Ranch on Sunset and watch fake titted ladies ride the mechanical bull. Take a hike on Runyan (sp?) Canyon. There's 2 paths, one that takes about 15 minutes, and another longer one for the exercisers. It gives you a complete view of the Hollywood sign, LA, the Valley, Santa Monica...on a clear day anyway. Check out Citywalk in Universal City. It's a tourist trap, but BB King's club has some really good acts from time to time. The Yardhouse in Long Beach is pretty cool if you are down there. They have over 200 different beers on tap. Tuesdays at THE FUNKY BUDDHA LOUNGE, 728 W. Grand (Halsted and Milwaukee) is a pretty cool hip hop spot with some cool ass underground vibe. Thursdays as "Glow" are pretty cool. Lots of old school hip hop. The "Devil's Punchbowl" (just down from Larabee North on Lakershim) is a pretty cool rockabilly club, and they usually have some cool acts on Wednesdays, but it's hit or miss. The Temple Bar is Santa Monica has a nice vibe to it.

Goto the Ameoba record store. It's the biggest record store I've ever seen. Hit up Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles. Ask for your food "smothered n covered". I thought it sounded wierd the 1st time I tried it too. Late at night Jerry's Deli seems to have a lot of industry cats (which is why I avoid it...). Ribs USA in Burbank, just down from NBC, (yep, the Valley) has some awesome Bbq. I suggest either the "Shrimp the Pimp" or "Mary's Delight".

Check out "Black Market Music". There's a good chance you'll shoot your load over something there. I wish I was in town... What days you gonna be there?
Old 27th March 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
Tuesdays at THE FUNKY BUDDHA LOUNGE, 728 W. Grand (Halsted and Milwaukee) is a pretty cool hip hop spot with some cool ass underground vibe.
Hey E-Cue,

Unless, by some bizarre coincidence, there's an LA club with the same name and the same street address, the Funky Buddha's in Chicago, right?

It's not a bad place, really, depending on what night you go. So Jazzius, if you're ever out here in the Midwest...

Hell, if I were visiting the US, I'd go to California first, too.
Old 27th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
thanks e-cue..............tha's more like it!..........we'll be in L.A. friday and saturday night.......then we'll head out to Vegas (for my birthday - not my idea, my girlfriends)

i think we'll be back in L.A. the 16/17 april.....maybe we can sup a beer then if you're back in town?.......i'll email you closer to the time..........

right, will someone pick up where e-cue left off.........pleeease!!!
Old 27th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
If you walk across the street and through the back alleyway, there's a 'secret' club that you'll see a bouncer standing at. This place is called "The Room" and was in the movie "Swingers".
That's soo tight. I love that movie and to know that the club is real is freakin sweet. Next time I'm in LA, I'm gonna hit it up.
"You're money and you don't even know it..."

Ian
Old 27th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
have a safe trip ,

youΒ΄ll have F U N F U N F U N

take a look inside l.a weekly and worry bout what you cant see

Old 27th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by mdbeh
Hey E-Cue,

Unless, by some bizarre coincidence, there's an LA club with the same name and the same street address, the Funky Buddha's in Chicago, right?
Grrr. Sorry about that. I got caught up in a cut N paste gone wrong while trying to find the correct spelling of "Cahuenga".
Old 27th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by imacgreg
That's soo tight. I love that movie and to know that the club is real is freakin sweet. Next time I'm in LA, I'm gonna hit it up.
"You're money and you don't even know it..."

Ian
There's also "Jack of Clubs" which is a block down from Paramount Recording Studios, but I forgot the name on the building.
Old 28th March 2003
VIP

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Nozama, ha! A stones throw from Scream Studios...
That's how I found out about it. I used to work at Scream a lot, it was my home away from home, great studio and great people running it.
Old 28th March 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
They try and trick you into going to the gay bar next door too?
Old 29th March 2003
VIP

🎧 15 years
Quote:
They try and trick you into going to the gay bar next door too?
Not really, but the band I was working with had all kinds of fun visiting the *video and accessories* store next door.heh
Old 14th April 2003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Actually, the place around the corner from Paramount Recording is called 3 of Clubs and it's the place in the Swingers movie. It's under a sign that says "Bargain Clown Mart", across the street from a pretty cool Army surplus store.
Next to Paramount Recording is Coast Recording Equipment, which is always fun to walk thru because they have a showroom full of old tape machines and gear.

Go to the block on Sunset Blvd. where the Guitar Center is. There's some cool music stores around that area also.

Also you should check out the Silverlake Lounge and Spaceland if you want to get away from the Hollywood/Sunset Strip scene.
Old 22nd April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanx all.............just got back..........had a wicked time........LA, Vegas (vommit!), SF, San Diego, Death Valley, Yosemite, Mojave, Joshua Tree, Kelsoe Dunes, sunburn, Snow, almost got stabbed on a bus in SanFran (really).......mad time!
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…