Killing acoustic guitar atonal ring - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Killing acoustic guitar atonal ring
Old 19th February 2003
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Killing acoustic guitar atonal ring

I wasn't sure whether to post this on the Moan Zone or here, but since I resolved the problem...

I was getting this terrible, atonal ring everytime I used a steel-stringed acoustic guitar, which for me is either a CFox or a Collings. It was driving me crazy. If I hit a G chord hard, then muted it fast, I could hear the ring for at least 1.5 seconds. It was not a pretty overtone, either.

Anyway, I was telling my drummer about the problem then showed him an example. "Maybe it's coming from the vent in the ceiling?" he suggested. We covered the vent, but still got the ugly ring.

Then he said, "You know what it sounds like?" and he strummed the strings at the top of the neck above the nut. And that was the disturbing sound. Amazing. I wrapped a sock around that part of the strings, and now the ring is gone.

I will no longer make jokes about drummers. From now on, I rag on no one.

Jasper
Banging The Drum Softly
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…