Quantcast
Vocal Tracking Room Odd Shape - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vocal Tracking Room Odd Shape
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Vocal Tracking Room Odd Shape

It's very long and narrow. Maybe 10 feet wide, 7 feet tall, and 21 feet long.
Trying to get the vocal completely dead. So I place mic at one end of the room having the vocalist facing the other end of the room so the loudest reflections will be sent furthest away...

But if I had limited amount of bass traps, where are the most important places to place them? Like say, if I had 8 2'x4' bass traps where would be there best location, down at the end of the room away from the singer in direct line with their voice, or on the wall corners above and below the first reflection points on the side walls, or on the wall directly behind on the wall to wall and wall to ceiling corners catching the reflections that come back from the other end and whatever bleeds out of the singer directly to the back wall.

Or should I worry about bass trapping ceiling and wall first reflection points as well as corners?

Was just going to throw up some blankets to get the higher reflections, and some rugs on the floor, and panels for first reflection points of some kind...

Help!
Thanks.
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Guru

๐ŸŽง 15 years
The most damaging reflections are the ones that are around/near the person singing/mic area. That is the reason I like to treat near by walls and ceiling in that area, but I still want to spread out other treatment around the room to help with over all decay. Perhaps you could try taking 2 of the panels, make stands for them and put them in a V shape for the singer to sing into (mic inside the V) then place one or 2 on the ceiling and spread out the rest to taste.
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Ok I gotcha. Around the singer. Should I worry about making the reflection points thick enough to be bass traps?
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Guru

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Thicker is always better if possible.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…