Quantcast
Need help to acoustically treat a room with polyurethane foam. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need help to acoustically treat a room with polyurethane foam.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Need help to acoustically treat a room with polyurethane foam.

I tried posting this in the 'Bass traps, acoustic panels, foam etc' sub-forum, but got no answers, so I'm going to try and repost this here (I can't move it, I'll ask a mod to delete this) and maybe I'll get some answers/clarification.

Decided to (finally) treat the living room (acoustically speaking); started reading on the topic of DIY building traps and diffusers, especially the stuff that Ethan Winer wrote on his website, RealTraps site, and here on GS (and other forums). Kudos!

The room has the following size: 5,42 m (L) x 3,12 m (W) x 2,40 m (H) = 17.78' (L) x 10.23' (W) x 7.87' (H).

Due to space constraints (only bedroom and living room I can't dedicate a room to a listening space) I'll have to put the monitors on the long side of the room (not optimal, but that's that).

I looked everywhere for OC 703/705 and it's nowhere to be found; searched on their website and the official distributors here in RO don't have it; basically, the only options are rockwool or glasswool (the fluffy type) from Isover and Knauf, none of which are appealing to me, neither acoustically nor visually. I wrote this paragraph to avoid any suggestions of using 703 / 705 (since I can't find it) or rock/glass wool.

However, there is a place where I can buy acoustic polyurethane foam of several shapes and densities, the options being:
  1. Panels made of high density foam (90 kg/m^3 = 5.61 lbs/ft^3) with the following thickness options: 10 cm, 7 cm, 5 cm, 4 cm (= 3.93", 2.75", 1.96", 1.57")
  2. Rounded pyramid panels made of low density foam (either 28 kg/m^3 = 1.74 lbs/ft^3, or 21 kg/m^3 = 1.31 lbs/ft^3), with the following thickness options: 6 cm, 5 cm, 4 cm, 3 cm, 2 cm (= 2.36", 1.96", 1.57", 1.18", 0.78"); they also provide corner basstraps made of these types of foam.

Here are my questions:
  1. Should I just make panels out of the high density foam (10 cm) or combine high density with low density (e.g. 7 cm high density with 3 cm pyramids, or 5 cm high density with 5 cm pyramids)? I'd like to keep the thickness of the panels around 10 - 12 cm (~ 4.5").
  2. Should I simply put panels in the corners of the room (and leave air behind the panels as Ethan suggests), or fill the space behind with the low density bass trap (it's still not clear to me whether this will help or not)?
  3. Should I build some skyline diffusers for the rear wall, but lose the bass traps on the rear corners, or vice-versa? (bass traps on all four corners, but no diffusers)

Thanks in advance!!

PS: I've been giving it some thought after I found some really dense (145 kg/m^3 = 9.05 lbs/ft^3) rockwool and I'm considering using it for basstraps.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You may want to see our article on foam before you consider buying foam to tackle those low frequencies -

Comparing Foam to GIK 244 Bass Traps
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for pointing this out; however, now it's even less clear to me than it was before. Does density matter? Or does the material matter more, rather than the density? Which is more important when considering acoustic treatment?
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For bass trapping you do not need density but rather depth and coverage. Here are some guides to help you out -
Bass Traps and Understanding Low Frequencies - GIK Acoustics
How Bass Traps Work - GIK Acoustics
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What about broadband absorption at first reflection points?
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anyone?

Anyway, what about the second question? I know about diffusion and I understand its purpose and effect, I'm just not sure if in a room this size diffusers would help, or if it's better to just focus on absorption (since diffusers would mean less absorption, or losing 2 corner bass traps).
Old 12th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susceptor ➑️
What about broadband absorption at first reflection points?
Yes you want to cover early reflection points. Generally 4" fiberglass or mineral wool.
Video: Early or First Reflection Points |
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ok so I'm convinced about the whole mineral rockwool thing; I found Knauf and Rockwool (semi)rigid rockwool panels at some not so obvious distributor here in Romania (they don't have Knauf Ecose glass wool panels, and I need to buy over 200 panels if I want to order them). I'm aiming for 4" (with 2" air) for the sidewalls and 6" (with 2" air) for the back. I'll treat the room corners (wall to wall) with corner traps (cca 15" depth) and put panels on the wall to ceilng corner (most likely 4" or 6").

So.... I ask again... in a room this size, should I try and put diffusers (and maybe lose some space for absorption) or not?
Old 17th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susceptor ➑️
I in a room this size, should I try and put diffusers (and maybe lose some space for absorption) or not?
Guys? Help? Diffusers? Yay or nay?
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Bump?
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ze bump.
πŸ“ Reply