Monitors Stands - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Monitors Stands
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Monitors Stands

Hello Folks,

I am working on a new table "desk" for my studio on which I will put the screen and the monitors ... however I have an inquiry ....

How about if I ask the carpenter who is building my desk to build two built in stands on top of my desk made from wood each "same as the desk wood" ... would that be more useful than placing the monitors on separate normal steel stands behind my desk ?

Opinions are much appreciated ....

Cheers
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The problem with the built into desk system is that the monitors become immovable, not flexible for adjusting in the room to get the acoustics right, you;d have to move the whole desk to make adjustments. I'm in the middle of building a desk and monitor stands myself, and took this into consideration. I think having the monitors on moveable stands will make it easier to dial in the acoustics of the room, even though they are pretty much set and forget.
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
forget the rotation ... but regarding vibrations ?
Old 8th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Bechara ➑️
forget the rotation ... but regarding vibrations ?
The vibrations will be transferred easily to the desk surface (bad), and this is a main reason why not to use desk's "built in" stands.
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
what about if i place the isoacoustics stuff and take off the genelecs isopods and place them on those built in wood stands ?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
what about if i place the isoacoustics stuff and take off the genelecs isopods and place them on those built in wood stands ?
All vibration damping stud mounts have their own limits, it is better way to use right studs for your speaker, then heavy stands placed on floor. This way we additionally lowered vibration with stands weight and with floor weight. This is a way different from direct coupled desk "stands", because desk is light.

(click on image for more)

Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
So you recommend I build heavy floor stands from wood and place behind my desk ...

am I correct ??
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
So you recommend I build heavy floor stands from wood and place behind my desk ...

am I correct ??
yes, and use antivibration pods between stands and speakers too

Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I did conduct a google search and one thing I couldn't find an answer and hope someone would answer me is: knowing monitors are at ear level .... is there a minimum height that the monitors should be at from the floor ?
Old 9th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I did conduct a google search and one thing I couldn't find an answer and hope someone would answer me is: knowing monitors are at ear level .... is there a minimum height that the monitors should be at from the floor ?
Yes, and this is a part of monitor placement https://www.gearslutz.com/board/bass-...t-methods.html

Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
boggy ... I did read your tips ... very useful indeed .. but you did not mention anything related to the height of the stands ... would the speaker being at mid of room height cause frequency cancellation ?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
boggy ... I did read your tips ... very useful indeed .. but you did not mention anything related to the height of the stands ... would the speaker being at mid of room height cause frequency cancellation ?
it is room dependent, you need to find it by measurements....
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
my room height is 269 cm ... what measurements should I take more ?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
my room height is 269 cm ... what measurements should I take more ?
acoustical measurements, frequency response...
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…