Quantcast
Questions about clouds - which is better - (12) 2" absorbers, or (6) 4" abosrbers? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Questions about clouds - which is better - (12) 2" absorbers, or (6) 4" abosrbers?
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Questions about clouds - which is better - (12) 2" absorbers, or (6) 4" abosrbers?

My room is 14' x 12', and I'm deciding on what kind of cloud structure to build. The room is only 8' high, so there's not a lot of room to work with up top. What would be better, to build several 2" panels, or half the amount of 4" panels?

I have (36) OC703 2" Rigid, and (36) Roxul Mineral Wool. I figure I will probably use 10-20 of the 72 for the clouds / ceiling.

Is it better to have various sizes? Maybe some 2" and some 4"? Or would it be better to have them all the same size?

Is it okay to layer OC703 and Roxul?

How far down from my 8' ceiling should the clouds hang? 4" of absorption with a 4" air space would be enough?

Thank you for helping this rookie out.
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Guru

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I would make them all 4" thick. It is not going to matter if you make them 2x2 or 4x4, but as far as installing them, I would think 2x4 would be easier.
Old 5th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras โžก๏ธ
I would make them all 4" thick. It is not going to matter if you make them 2x2 or 4x4, but as far as installing them, I would think 2x4 would be easier.
Thanks, Glenn. Is there any disadvantage to coupling OC703 with a different material like Roxul? Is that frowned upon, or will 2" 703 + 2" of roxul make for an effective 4" cloud?

Is 4" from the ceiling far enough down? So the face of the bottom absorber would be ~8" from the ceiling. Is that enough?
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Guru

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I have never mixed products like that so sorry I really can't say. Though, My gut would say it would be ok.

4" is a good gap. If you can go further then do so.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
A lot of the top guys in the game match different insulation products in their traps. Typically using higher density insulation in the front and lighter in the back for deep traps (a big reason is cosmetic as well).

In a room your size I would make big traps. Not just thicker but covering more surface area. You will have to make a compromise so that your traps don't eat up too much real estate. 4" is a good starting point for broadband absorbers (especially if spaced from wall a few inches) But I would opt for much thicker traps in the corners and on the rear wall.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…