Quantcast
Best material to get for monitor base? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best material to get for monitor base?
Old 3rd March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Question Best material to get for monitor base?

I don't have the space to put any monitor stands, I want to keep the monitors sitting directly on my desk. I have a pair of Rokit 6 G3's.

The problem is the monitors aren't at the correct position, they need to be 30cm higher. I'm using a pair of hollow wooden blocks for them to sit on at the moment which is obviously not ideal.

What sort of material should I source to make some cheap stands for my monitors to sit on so they are the correct height? Is high-density acoustic foam the way to go?

Or what should I look for?

Thanks
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I am not sure what you mean by "hollow wooden blocks"? However, if they are the right height would it be possible to fill them with dry sand and cap them off? Depending on the total volume they could be very heavy of course, which would be a good thing as long as the desktop could take the weight!! Alternatively you could use small concrete blocks or several bricks arranged in a stable configuration.

Once you have a stable, heavy base, the next consideration is to isolate the Loudspeakers from the "blocks". I recommend sorbothane hemispheres of the correct grade (probably 1.25", duro50, four per loudspeaker) to suit the loudspeaker weight (18.5 lbs?)
Old 3rd March 2014
JWL
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My favorite ghetto speaker stands are cinder blocks, because they have a lot of mass and don't resonate much. I'd use cinderblocks to the correct height, possibly with some decoupling material (sorbothane, fiberglass, etc) between the speaker and the cinderblocks.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Make sure the mass is equal or better at least twice that of the speaker cabinet. Sand works great, highly recommended.
📝 Reply