Quantcast
Help me with my DIY control room project (small & asymmetric)! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help me with my DIY control room project (small & asymmetric)!
Old 2nd March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Help me with my DIY control room project (small & asymmetric)!

Hi fellow gearslutz,
This is my first post here, but I've been reading in these forums in the past few years.

Anyway, I am currently trying to improve my room acoustics.

Purpose: Control room - mainly producing itb and mixing.

I removed all the acoustic foam that killed my highs and deadened the room too much, and want a fresh start!

I've been reading about owen's corning 703 and similar rigid fiberglass material and decided that I'm going to build my own acoustic panels.

Can someone have a general idea where to begin with? Sweet spot positioning? Bass traping locations & acoustic panels locations?

I know that it's not 100% possible without proper recording and read about the room eq wizard, and I'll try to pick a proper mic for this job, but in the mean time, any general directions will do.

My monitors are Dynaudio BM6a mkii on floor stands

I've spent all day long to measure the room dimensions and creating a 3d room model. I hope the pictures I've attached will give enough input about my room.

Looking forward to your opinions!
Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Help me with my DIY control room project (small & asymmetric)!-top.jpg   Help me with my DIY control room project (small & asymmetric)!-back.jpg   Help me with my DIY control room project (small & asymmetric)!-angle.jpg   Help me with my DIY control room project (small & asymmetric)!-left.jpg   Help me with my DIY control room project (small & asymmetric)!-right.jpg  

Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Detail

Nice sketch. It would be useful to know what each boundary is made of, e.g. Concrete/Brick, or sheetrock on studs. And what is that curved alcove made of? Glass? Include the floor and ceiling?

You have a nice bit if ceiling height so I would take advantage of that. Big deep cloud or even a whole suspended acoustic tile ceiling with a foot of fluffy attic insulation above it.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studi...acoustics.html

Note Macintosh computers do not allow the UMIK-1 to work with REW.

DD
Old 2nd March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Re: Details

Hey DanDan,
thanks for your quick reply!

The materials are as follows.

Walls:
a: concrete block wall (10cm) -> acoustic foam -> drywall on metal studs (10cm) **this wall particularly resonates.
b: concrete block wall (10cm) -> bitumen isolation (5mm) -> drywall glued (12mm) -> drywall glued (9mm).
c: Autoclaved Aerated Concrete (22cm) -> drywall glued (12mm) -> dense foam (8mm) -> drywall glued (12mm).
d: concrete block wall (10cm) -> drywall on metal studs with low density fiberglass between the studs (10cm) **this wall particularly resonates. [[before\after shown on 2nd\3rd pic]]
e: Autoclaved Aerated Concrete (22cm) -> dense foam (8mm).
f: concrete block wall (10cm) -> dense foam (8mm) on one side (facing e).

Floors:
1: concrete floor -> foam (3mm) -> laminated plywood (8mm).
2 (floating floor): wooden foundation -> rockwool filling (10cm) -> gallery wood panels on rubber platforms -> thick carpet. [this stage was built to float in order to put a drumset \ bass amps over there]. [[shown in the 2nd picture]]

Ceilings:
(above) 1: Autoclaved Aerated Concrete (30cm) -> wooden panels (5cm lowering) with 1 meter spacing between each panel. there is also acoustic foam on all of the mentioned ceiling (egg shaped) that was painted and hardened (I don't know if it's still considered absorbent material).
(above) 2: solid concrete ceiling (12cm) -> drywall (10cm) on metal studs.

Hope that helps.
If more details are necessary just let me know.
Noam
Attached Thumbnails
Help me with my DIY control room project (small & asymmetric)!-top2.jpg   Help me with my DIY control room project (small & asymmetric)!-before-curve.jpg   Help me with my DIY control room project (small & asymmetric)!-after-curve.jpg   Help me with my DIY control room project (small & asymmetric)!-ceiling.jpg  
Old 10th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
*Bump*
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I would guess that facing wall a might give the best response.
Location is one of the, if not the, most powerful, factors. Acoustically measure with speakers at each of the likely locations. I would place them extremely close to the walls, almost touching. You may find that one location is way better than others, or way worse or whatever. In any case you will find out facts, rather than guesses.
DD
πŸ“ Reply