Stairs in an L shaped room - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stairs in an L shaped room
Old 28th February 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Stairs in an L shaped room

Forum wizzards!

I've spent the last month browsing every single topic hours on end in the acoustics section but I can't seem to find my way around tackling my room. So I hope you guys can help me out. I'm dealing with a dilemma on what to do, my options are: build an entire new studio in a section of my double garage (which means building 2 brick/concrete walls and use the walls of a corner. OR use an existing room which used to hold 2 drum kits (budget wise appealing).

However, the existing room is not ideal to say the least. The dimensions are as follows in meters: l x b x h = 3.98 x 2.92 x 2.54

which translates to a rough 13ft. 1"x 9ft. 7" x 8ft. 4".

This seems fine until I introduce the obstacles I'm facing. Right next to the door there's a straight staircase leading to the 1st floor, and in the far corner there's an old small bathroom which now serves as a storage area. To make matters worse, there are two large windows that need to be considered in the equation. One's in the long wall, centered where i've written the length (see picture). And one's located in the short wall right next to the door to the old bathroom.

(aaah, I'm not able to embed pictures yet… damn) (in cm's) http://imageshack.com/a/img571/8997/dkjk.jpg

Now I've been going over a couple of options and am not quite sure what's the best way to go.
- treat the place using acoustic curtains (any tips on which ones to use), and in doing so creating a rectangle and using the section between the stairs and old bathroom as listening position. And use a baffle to cover the window.

- place absorption panels (in the way that has been explained over and over in this section) around my listening position.

The reason why I'm so eager on treating the room is because I'm starting to struggle with low frequency playback. I've noticed that it feels as if sound seems to come from everywhere in the room except for where it's supposed to come from (the monitor). So especially in the low frequency region the sound pressure is more present than the actual tone coming from my monitor.

What is the best way to do, am I heading in the right direction, what are do's and don'ts. Please help me out !
Old 28th February 2014
JWL
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For a small room like that, bass trapping will be by far the most important strategy for you. The more traps you add, the better it will sound. You will also want to treat the early reflections.

Details here: RealTraps - Acoustic Basics
Old 6th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks jwl! I've been wandering around the forum and checking out several bass trap designs, so I'll definitely focus on that. The whole curtain idea seems a lot less appealing on 4th glance. So: corner bass traps 40x40cm and gradually build up trapping in the room. I really look forward to a hands on experience with acoustic treatment and diverting from all numbers and theory and actually hearing what happens when I move panels around.

Also I'm contemplating 2 bass chunks formed in the shape of a semi-circle, flat backside and about 90 cm high. Just for that extra low end trapping. I'll post some pictures along the way!
📝 Reply