Quantcast
Not happy with my small but treated room. Advices needed! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Not happy with my small but treated room. Advices needed!
Old 28th February 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Not happy with my small but treated room. Advices needed!

Hi slutz!

I have some issues in my small recording room...
The photos here shows my room, it's more or less a 5m x 3m x 3m (about 17ft x 10ft x 10ft i think), treated years ago as best as i could.
As you can see, it's almost entirely covered with polyuretane, quite dense, making the room really "dead" sounding.
I know, that was quite a mistake... after some years of recording and studying I'm more conscious of acoustics and now I'm aware of all the mistakes done and I'm trying to improve my room.
The question is: what to do?
My room is small. Plan an effective room correction it's quite difficult for me...
My goal is to obtain a little more "alive" room, very controlled but not completely dead as it is now.
But all my info discourages the use of diffusion in a room so small.
...at least that's what I understood!
I know that I can't obtain a very good sounding room, but maybe I can do something to improve it effectively and be quite happy with it!
Any opinion about it?
Thank you so much for any advice!

Kristal

Old 28th February 2014
JWL
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't know the details of the polyurethane absorbers you are using, but my guess is that you don't have enough bass trapping and you have too much high frequency absorption. Step 1 will be to add bass traps, your room will need as much as possible as all small rooms do. Because you have 2 dimensions that are the same (3m x 3m) that means even more bass issues to sort out.

Details here: RealTraps - Acoustic Basics
Old 28th February 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwl ➑️
I don't know the details of the polyurethane absorbers you are using, but my guess is that you don't have enough bass trapping and you have too much high frequency absorption. Step 1 will be to add bass traps, your room will need as much as possible as all small rooms do. Because you have 2 dimensions that are the same (3m x 3m) that means even more bass issues to sort out.

Details here: RealTraps - Acoustic Basics
Thank you!
Yes absolutely, that's my first step and yes, there are some issues in the low end, however images don't show 2 big blocks of rockwool "caged" around 2 big pipes on the ceilings (bass trapping and enough pipes isolation). The frequency response is not ideal at all but not so dramatic.
However... I'm planning to revisite all the absorption side of the room, after some years now I own the Ethan Winer book and the Rod Geivais one (and many others) and i read them intensively, so what you suggest I think it's already on my plans more or less
That said, you're absolutely right, and I'll "recycle" the polyurethane to build good bass traps and I will place them in the right spots in the room!
But before doing this and placing all the "new" absorption I'd like to plan all the work, and i have to find the optimal way to "bring back life" into the room.
Diffusers? plain walls? Just less absorption everywhere? Any solution seems to have pro & cons in small rooms...
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Have you tested the room? I would definitely do this to have a close look at what is happening -
Room EQ Wizard Tutorial - GIK Acoustics
Understanding Decay Times and Waterfall Graphs - GIK Acoustics Europe
Old 28th February 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheggs ➑️
Have you tested the room? I would definitely do this to have a close look at what is happening -
Room EQ Wizard Tutorial - GIK Acoustics
Understanding Decay Times and Waterfall Graphs - GIK Acoustics Europe
Yes I'm doing this really soon, waiting for my measurement mic order
Thank you for links!
Old 28th February 2014
JWL
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm not familiar with polyurethane as an absorptive material. I can tell you it isn't commonly used for acoustic panels, so I'd be suspicious of it. I suggest veryifying how much absorption they provide across the frequency spectrum, particularly for bass frequencies with the manufacturer. If you are unable to verify their specs, then I'd strongly suggest using a more proven material such as rigid fiberglass or rockwool of the appropriate densities.
Old 1st March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
1st post here, in a smallish room it's all about the bass traps mate! I made the same sort of mistake years ago in my bedroom studio. The sound was dead in the upper end but still boomy in the mids and lower. In many ways worst of both worlds. I now have a garage with similar dimensions to your room, a bit bigger floor space but lower ceiling so I killed it (the ceiling)with 100% coverage of 30cm rockwool with airgap.
I would guess as many bass traps as you can fit/afford in corners- cloud above the drum kit and other coverage on most of remaining walls and ceiling too. Probably ditch the rugs under the drums too as the bare wooden floor is your best bet for keeping the sound alive, I did, it wasn't a huge difference but better without for me, it is 2 reflective surfaces interacting that is what you need to avoid.
Diffusion in a smallish room is possible, if you have your drumkit against the far wall with some diffusion at the other end length wise on your 5m dimension that is just sufficient a distance to gain some benefit. However from what I've read the area immediately near to the diffusion panels is no longer usable (makes it sound weird somehow?)so you will not be able to use (ie no soundsource or mics)about 1m floorspace at the diffuser covered end. In a room with your dimensions it might not be worth it.
Diffusers or not your room (and mine) are smallish so the room will never sound super lively but properly treated it does sound much clearer and very usable. Good luck.
Old 1st March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Thank you all for your advices!
I think that's time for room testing and plans now
πŸ“ Reply