Quantcast
Recording Drums advice - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording Drums advice
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Recording Drums advice

Hi , I think i should place this thread here because what i want to know is...

I'm going to be recording drum tracks for my bands album & we are going to hire out a room for the day and move our gear in for the day to record.

Now.. What would be an ideal room to track the drums in?

I've been building alot of bass traps lately, so is it better to record in a large room or small room?

I was thinking of placing the bass traps around the kit like in the pictures below, however, we'd be hiring out the room for the day so wouldnt be able to have bass traps on the ceiling above the kit...(any solutions for this?)

I like punchy drums.. Jeff Buckleys drums are cool!

Mods feel free to move this to a different section if i've posted in the wrong place, i just thought it'd apply with it being the acoustics of the room and where to place my bass traps.
Attached Thumbnails
Recording Drums advice-mcfly_03.jpg   Recording Drums advice-taylor-drums-main.jpg  
Old 28th February 2014
JWL
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hopefully the recording room you hire is treated and has a good sound already.

If you are treating a larger, untreated room (like a warehouse space), then this video might help you. It's about a singer/guitarist but the same principles apply.

RealTraps - Recording Strategies
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You might this article interesting, its about the mixer who mixed Jeff Buckley amongst others -
Secrets Of The Mix Engineers: Michael Brauer
Old 28th February 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwl ➑️
Hopefully the recording room you hire is treated and has a good sound already.

If you are treating a larger, untreated room (like a warehouse space), then this video might help you.
Hi, yeah the room we will be hiring won't be treated as were not going to be hiring out a studio.. It will just be an average sized room untreated I'd presume but I will check that video
Old 28th February 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheggs ➑️
You might this article interesting, its about the mixer who mixed Jeff Buckley amongst others -
Secrets Of The Mix Engineers: Michael Brauer
Thanks very much, will take a look
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hire an old church or hall with high ceilings and good volume out in the country side
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
School hall?
Old 1st March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Well, it all depends on what sound you are looking for. If you are in a metal band, then a big echo-y room will most likely suck for what you want to achieve. If you are more of a groove rock/ccr band,that same room would probably work for you.

What are you trying to achieve?

Sorta-Edit: I get the feeling you are recording just wherever you can manage. In that case, get the recordist to capture as much as he/she possibly can: spot mics on the toms, multiple snare mics, close in mics on the hihat and ride, overheads, room mics, a mic out in the hallway, and whatever else you can imagine. Capture everything, so you can throw out most of it when the mix starts. I recorded a band in a huge church sanctuary a few months ago; we muted all the room mics while we were tracking, but at mixdown, those tracks were GOLDEN for ambience and killer reverberant sounds.

If you can record in a good sounding space, hey, have fun! If , though, the tracks dont sound like you want as you are tracking, then by all means, move the kit, move the mics, change the space! Tweak it until it sounds great! If it doesnt, then find a new space to record in.

TL:DR, record to every single track you have available, and play with it later.

...and/ or hire someone who does it for a living.
Old 2nd March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Well thanks for your advice guys, so what you're saying is record in a large vibrant space and place gobos around the kit... as i stated above i cannot then place any bass traps above the kit, will that still be ok?

I will be recording it myself, the results i am trying to achieve are kind of punchy great sounding drums..
like this
Jeff Buckley - Everybody Here Wants You - YouTube
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Eagles - it's pretty much impossible to answer your question........

Whether or not it will be "OK" is a room dependent question - in some rooms it might be OK - and in other rooms not.........

Having said that - if you need treatments over head in rooms you can't alter - you can always build a stand to support temporary overhead treatments - if push came to shove you could always use one of those temporary canopies to place treatments above - our simply pick up some PVC pipe to make your own supports..

Rod
Old 2nd March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Gervais ➑️
Eagles - it's pretty much impossible to answer your question........

Whether or not it will be "OK" is a room dependent question - in some rooms it might be OK - and in other rooms not.........

Having said that - if you need treatments over head in rooms you can't alter - you can always build a stand to support temporary overhead treatments - if push came to shove you could always use one of those temporary canopies to place treatments above - our simply pick up some PVC pipe to make your own supports..

Rod
cool ok mate, thanks for your advice, it turns out, our session drummer works in a music shop and said we can use the top floor, which is a large abandoned space.. so i'll just have to place the gobos round the back of the kit and maybe two facing it at about a metre or two away.
Old 11th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Hi guys, can some people who've posted take a look at the room we are now going to be recording in...

basically the drummer works in a music shop and the manager will let us record upstairs after closing hours, we are going to move all of the acoustic guitars so there is no ringing of the strings and clear the space in the center of the room..

i went in yesterday and clapped.. it's a pretty dead sounding room, it may have been soundproofed..

based on the images, what should i go for? i was going to put gobos round the kit and i wanted punchy kick and snare but an ambient sounding kit..

should i place my kick and snare to taste and then place the overheads high over the kit? or would that not work in this case as the room seems really dead?

Old 12th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Here's the thing, you can't do anything about whats going on ABOVE the kit.... well, unless you want to pop out a few of those drop tiles (temporarily)... so let's move on to the horizontal reflections. Before moving all the guitars out, maybe see what it sounds like leaving them there. It may be cool?? If all else fails, move them out, you were going to anyway.

I'd gobo the sides of the kit, slightly angled out (kinda like a V shape, but not so steep). Try putting a mic in that office with the door open, as an ambient decay mic.

I'd avoid high overheads...
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
cool thanks for the tips..

so with the gobos kind of like this you mean with the v shape?

Old 29th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesnh4 ➑️
I will be recording it myself, the results i am trying to achieve are kind of punchy great sounding drums..
like this
Jeff Buckley - Everybody Here Wants You - YouTube
LOL. I was just thinking about the drums on that song today. A little too loud in the orignal mix, but a sound that I'd really like to use.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…