Help with new control room - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help with new control room
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Help with new control room

Hi Everyone,

I just moved into a new control room and I started with some measurements. I first positioned the desk about 2-3 feet from the front wall. I then took the first measurement and moved it 3" closer to the wall and took another. I did that a few times and the desk is now about 6-10" from the wall. Things seemed to improve a lot. I still have a pesky bump in the 150-200hz range. I tried to position some traps in the room but couldnt seem to find a place to even effect that area freq.

I have eight 2x4' traps (4" thick - 703) and 3 couplers. Its not in the budget to build anything further, so 8 traps will have to do.

Can anyone give me a hand on figuring out where to put the 8 traps to sort of tame that 150-200hz range even further.

I can certainly compensate you for your time.

Please let me know,

Thanks so much!

jB
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Guru

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Lightbulb

The best (only) way to find where bass traps are most effective is to measure your room as you experiment. Room EQ Wizard has a real-time analyzer mode that sweeps continually. Or just get some friends over to hold traps in various places as you run sweeps manually. I can tell you that for a room the size of yours, eventually you'll need at least twice as many traps.

--Ethan

The Acoustic Treatment Experts
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Guru

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
I can tell you that for a room the size of yours, eventually you'll need at least twice as many traps.
Agreed, if not more!

Quote:
I still have a pesky bump in the 150-200hz range.
It could come from anywhere. I would treat the room first and then see if it is still there.
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Thank you for the comments. I was hoping for a place to start but it seems, like with most things, you just have to get in there.

I will try to move the desk around a little bit more and see what i find. Then see if i can mess with traps.

jB
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…