Quantcast
Absorbing floor and Ceiling? Please help! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Absorbing floor and Ceiling? Please help!
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Absorbing floor and Ceiling? Please help!

Hey guys!

I m into some acoustic development in my room , and I m still not sure about whether I should treat the ceiling or not? I have absorbers , and diffusors behind the speakers, absorbers to the right, and to the left of the speakers, diffusors behind me , and I have like a 10 mm thick carpet as well. I know its hard to tell but do you think putting absorbers to the ceiling will make my room sounding dead? Or is it okay if I leave the ceiling free? (because I have a big carpet)

Thanks is advance!
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Yes you want to cover the early reflection point on the ceiling with absorption.
Video Early or First Reflection Points - GIK Acoustics
How high is your ceiling?
Old 27th February 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras ➡️
Yes you want to cover the early reflection point on the ceiling with absorption.
Video Early or First Reflection Points - GIK Acoustics
How high is your ceiling?
Despite the carpet? Ceiling is 3.2 meters high

Thanks!
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Yes even with the carpet. At 3.2 meters you do want use absorption.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Carpet is seldom a positive thing since it only absorbs the high frequency range, and if wall-to-wall carpet; quite a lot of it, resulting in a lack of energy decay in this range compared to the lower frequency range (usually the most problematic range, too long decay time in the upper frequency range compared to the lower part is extremely rare).

Ideally; loose the carpet and treat the ceiling with either thick broadband absorbers (thick enough so you're not only absorbing the highs, only EQ:ing the reflections) or angled geometry redirecting (reflective, at least above the modal range) early reflections away from the sweet spot, and pressure based absorbers on other areas not directly related to early reflection issues.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studi...-question.html
Old 28th February 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Thank you guys! I appreaciate your help!
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Carpet

How does your room sound now? Given that one of the two largest surfaces in your room is absorbent at HF, and that height, it would take a lot of ceiling treatment to make any audible difference at all IMO. If you have a fairly small listening area you could try a well placed cloud of say at least 2.4 x 2.4 Metres. It is bound to remove some of the HF cancelling energy from the overhead reflection.
Note while carpet is impractical and detrimental to the recorded sound of some instruments in a room, it can have benefits for a critical listening room. Quite a few Mastering rooms are carpeted, and the bare floors in large control rooms quite frequently end up with area rugs, to cut down the harsh clatter of floor reflections.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Bob+...w=1420&bih=960

DD
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Since you mention floor reflection, I had some success with damping using small blocks of foam designed to look as a footstool.
From what I have seen it is not commonly used to treat floor reflection in studios, but in other situations, where the more ideal approaches may be difficult to implement, it might be worth considering as one more detail that can bring you closer to your target.

Pictures and measurements and description on my blog:
Øyvind Kvålsvoll: Floor reflection fixed
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…