Build sound traps in BALI - by Improvising
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Build sound traps in BALI - by Improvising

Hi There ,

Im living in Bali Indonesia .

Due to the location and its difficulty in importing products , I

..., ts going to be a challenge constructing a well built soundproof Recording Studio in Bali.

In case my plan A (ie; using 100% Auralex products throughout) might not viable ...,

Im looking for workable plan B - alternative ..., by possibly substituting some Auralex products for locally available products and materials .

I will be building a new house in about 18 months and it will include a well insulated , medium sized studio , that (within the same room) can also be used as a good live / rehearsal room , with maybe an isolated vocal booth that could double as an amp booth .

I will mostly be tracking and mixing in this room , so I want the room acoustics as best as I can manage.

I want to have a good battle plan ..., as an EX builder/contractor I know all the work is in the planning.

Plan A ; send in room plan to Auralex and deck out to their specifications .
cons ; No Auralex products in Indonesia , and Singapore Auralex price is double that of USA , then add a huge shipping cost to that for such a large package, then a big import tax on top again

Plan B; Improvise where possible , make my own timber diffuses (labour is cheap here) and make whatever else I can ..., Ideas anyone ???

What other recommendations ??????????????????????????????? ....,

for example , I was thinking that ; Quality Art / Paintings are cheap here ..., I could buy huge canvas artworks on a 1.5 inch thick frames , and stuff the frames with rockwool (or would the canvas be too reflective for the sound ?)

another Idea I have is to make frames stuffed with rockwool and foam then cover them with beautiful handmade BATIK cotton fabric

The only foam available here in Bali is the foam used for furnature , the higher density foak thats made up of all those different coloured peices all compressed and glued together ( i have also seen this used as carpet underlay)..., and there is also closed cell foam mats available here - from 1/4 inch to 1 inch in thicknesses .

Also a company here called Boral produce a gypsum based perforated dry wall plasterboard , that you install the rockwool behind ... how would the whole room like that sound.

The initial starting point for the room before I begin adding any soundproofing..,
- will be a double cavity brick wall construction ( 2 skins of brick walls with 2 inch cavity between the walls)
- concrete floor and 12 ft concrete ceiling,

After soundproofing measures (ie; floating floors and walls etc) then sound
treatments.

Any thoughts on this , or other suggestions ????

ps - these are 2 products I could incorporate as part of the soundproofing skin to fix to the inside rendered brick wall .

1- Soundstop - Sound Insulation Board ;Soundstop

Soundstop is a gypsum board that has a high density and can reduce noise generated in a room so as not to be heard in the other room.

Excellence
Has a higher density than regular gypsum board so as to produce better STC value.
It has been tested and certified by the agency PUSKIM
Supports the need for acoustic systems specially halls like a hotel room, karaoke room, etc.

2 - this (maybe) on the final outside ...., Jayabell

Jayabell
Jayabell - Noise Absorption Plasterboard
Jayabell is gypsum board with holes and has a layer of tissue absorption akusitk so have excellent sound. Available in four different design patterns, can be adapted to the needs of aesthetics

excellence
NRC levels (Nouise Reduction Coefisien) high (NRC 0:50 without mineral wool).
Can be applied to the partition and curved walls without affecting sound absorption with a minimum radius of 8.000 mm.
There are 4 types of hole choice for aesthetic needs.

Available in a choice of two edge forms:
The edge of the box (Square Edge)
Leaning edge (Recessed Edge)

3- I should also be able to get vinyl (as recomended in the Auralex handbook to sandwich between the plasterboard sheets) This stuff is heavy , and there is no way you would import /ship this stuff from Auralex , which in sure is just run of the mill vinyl ..., here as its used in hospitals etc .
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
seafoam_green,

Well, hello there. I'm in Jakarta and I am familiar with all of the 'ways' that they do things here in Indonesia.

If you want good acoustics... , well, you're not going to get good acoustics following the 'norm' here.

The perforated gypsum board is for controlling mid and high frequency sound in buildings.. normally associated with architectural acoustics. .. We just did acoustics testing for Doubletree Hilton in Jakarta. Yep, that's what they used in their meeting rooms and, believe me, they barely scrapped by meeting Hilton specs...

A good studio build requires MUCH more than Auralex products.
Canvas is to reflective for use on the side and back walls. There's plenty of good fabric available in Indonesia that will work in a studio.
Foam is not what you need AT ALL. Your room is a concrete bunker! You will need extreme and serious bass trapping.
Go to my publications page and download everything.. enjoy! - Better yet, just call me. +62 081510 111 774 (cell)

Cheers,
John
Old 27th February 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbrandt ➡️
seafoam_green,

Well, hello there. I'm in Jakarta and I am familiar with all of the 'ways' that they do things here in Indonesia.

If you want good acoustics... , well, you're not going to get good acoustics following the 'norm' here.

The perforated gypsum board is for controlling mid and high frequency sound in buildings.. normally associated with architectural acoustics. .. We just did acoustics testing for Doubletree Hilton in Jakarta. Yep, that's what they used in their meeting rooms and, believe me, they barely scrapped by meeting Hilton specs...

Canvas is to reflective for use on the side and back walls. There's plenty of good fabric available in Indonesia that will work in a studio.
Foam is not what you need AT ALL. Your room is a concrete bunker! You will need extreme and serious bass trapping.
Go to my publications page and download everything.. enjoy! - Better yet, just call me. +62 081510 111 774 (cell)

Cheers,
John
Wow , cheers galore John .
I will call you in the next day or so and say gday ...,

How how lucky am I eh ..., someone locally who understands the predicaments we face here ..., like lack of materials , equipment , skilled help , trying to order gear , and the shops that wont/cant do it for you, having to import everything youself, corrupt customs officials ..., oh man the list goes on ....,

and I am also very lucky to speak to a real expert like yourself John, instead of someone who was actually selling Bakso off a cart the previous week for a career (im 100% sure you know what I,m talking about here LOL)

..., its veryeasy to go nuts here with frustration sometimes unless you can manage to have a laugh while taking the good with the bad .

In the meantime Ill do some downloading John from your links .., and call for a chat , and perhaps even share a cold Bintang sometime .

Terima kasih Banyak Teman,
Bicara Lagi

Dave.
Old 30th August 2017 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbrandt ➡️
seafoam_green,

Cheers,
John
Hi John, I'm in a similar predicament to seafoam_green. Do you mind if I give you a call on your cell?
Cheers
Baz
Old 30th August 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Barryo,

That's an old number. :P

Please see the numbers on my contact page on my website. I keep that updated.
Talk to you soon.
Cheers,
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…