Quantcast
Help with desk and monitor positioning in small room (noob) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help with desk and monitor positioning in small room (noob)
Old 26th February 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Help with desk and monitor positioning in small room (noob)

Hi all! So, I have been producing as a hobby for a few years now but have mainly been using headphones. Recently, I decided to finally get some cheap but decent monitors as I was in a friend's studio and really noticed how they give a new dimension to sound.

After hours of reading reviews on the forums here, I decided to go with the JBL LSR305's and I have to say; so far I am delighted with my choice. While reading reviews, I also realized the significance of their placement in a room. As they are rear-ported monitors, I decided to try and put as much distance between the ports and a wall, so I positioned my desk in a way which would allow this. The only problem is that I now have a window about 2 feet behind the 'sweet spot' of the equilateral triangle and was wondering if this has the potential to cause me serious problems (do the curtains help reduce reverb when they're shut?).

Soo, yes. As I am rather inexperienced, I figured I would take some pictures of the room and ask you guys, who are much smarter than me, about your opinions on how I should position my desk and stands to get optimal sound in this room.

Before you suggest acoustic treatment, keep in mind that I'm in a student flat and will only be here until June. Also, I just dropped like 6 months of my savings plus birthday and christmas money on these monitors, stands, pads, cables, etc.. So I really can't afford panels at the moment.
Attached Thumbnails
Help with desk and monitor positioning in small room (noob)-photo-2.jpg   Help with desk and monitor positioning in small room (noob)-photo-1.jpg   Help with desk and monitor positioning in small room (noob)-room-plan.jpg  

Last edited by plamenvalkov; 27th February 2014 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: Added room plan
Old 26th February 2014
JWL
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I can't tell dimensions of the room from the photos. I would set up so the speakers are firing into the longest part of the room.

Details here: RealTraps - How To Set Up a Room
Old 27th February 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwl ➑️
I can't tell dimensions of the room from the photos. I would set up so the speakers are firing into the longest part of the room.

Details here: RealTraps - How To Set Up a Room
That's what I wanted to do but I also didn't want to place the speaker ports too close to a wall. Before, my desk was set up against the wall it is now perpendicular to. If the speakers were incorporated into that desk set up, their ports would have been too close to the wall behind them but they would also be firing into the longest part of the room. Would it be better to have ports close to a wall or a window right behind the sweet spot?
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Again, dimensions or plan would definitely help but these articles /videos should help -

Monitor Positioning in Room Setup - GIK Acoustics
Positioning the Listening Spot - GIK Acoustics
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheggs ➑️
Again, dimensions or plan would definitely help but these articles /videos should help -

Monitor Positioning in Room Setup - GIK Acoustics
Positioning the Listening Spot - GIK Acoustics
Thanks for the reply. I have added a room plan in the attachments of my original post. (Keep in mind, that is how I originally had my desk. Now it is in front of the window, as you can see in the pictures)
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I would place the listening spot facing the lower window. It is fine, actually it might be better, to have the speakers as close the wall as possible (a window is fine). You do want to make sure you are centered on that wall. From there trap as many corner as possible with proper bass trapping and panels for early reflection points.
More here:
The Basics of Room Acoustics: Bass Traps, Diffusors, Acoustic Panels |
Video Early or First Reflection Points - GIK Acoustics
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras ➑️
I would place the listening spot facing the lower window. It is fine, actually it might be better, to have the speakers as close the wall as possible (a window is fine). You do want to make sure you are centered on that wall. From there trap as many corner as possible with proper bass trapping and panels for early reflection points.
More here:
The Basics of Room Acoustics: Bass Traps, Diffusors, Acoustic Panels |
Video Early or First Reflection Points - GIK Acoustics
Thanks for the reply, Glenn. So basically, you're suggesting I move my desk to the window and sit facing it?
As for the bass traps, unfortunately, I can't afford any at the moment but thanks for the tip anyway.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by plamenvalkov ➑️
Thanks for the reply, Glenn. So basically, you're suggesting I move my desk to the window and sit facing it?
As for the bass traps, unfortunately, I can't afford any at the moment but thanks for the tip anyway.
Yes face the window..
πŸ“ Reply