Electrics in garage-studio conversion - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Electrics in garage-studio conversion
Old 26th February 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Electrics in garage-studio conversion

Hi,

quick question. The garage by my house I'm converting into a studio has an electric cable running from my house which my builder says could carry about 4kW, which he said would be just about enough for the lights and electric radiator and a few bits of gear.

He did offer however to keep that existing cable and use it solely for lights and the radiator and extend a separate cable from the house for all of the wall sockets and gear.

Is this a good idea? Will I have humming problems in my equipment (or tracking electric guitar)? Should I just try to manage with the 4kW cable or remove and replace the original one?

Thanks

Nevermusic
Old 26th February 2014
JWL
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
In general I think it's a good idea to have the studio equipment on a different circuit from the lights/HVAC/infrastructure. If everything is installed correctly you shouldn't have any issues with hum.
Old 26th February 2014
Gear Addict
What's the load? What's the VA rating of all your gear?

If the cable is good for about 4 KW then it's probably rated for 13 Amps. Unless you're running an electric heater and/or an electric kettle I would think a small studio setup will be OK with that. But you'll be better off with a heftier cable plus a small consumer unit in the garage

Whatever you have, make sure there is an ELCB protecting you. Garages get damp and you don't want a shock

You need a qualified electrician to install a permanent setup

Nick Froome
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…