Advice on treatment for new studio. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Advice on treatment for new studio.
Old 30th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Advice on treatment for new studio.

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of turning a double garage into a studio. The dimensions are 9x7m.

After doing some research on treating rooms, I have come to some decisions that I would like to share. I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

I intend to turn this double garage into a single control room. I don't do much recording apart from vocals and some guitars, so I don't require an additional live room.

First up I intend to get a carpenter in to whip a frame to install some insulation hang some dry wall, followed by laying down some floorboards. I'm thinking of using tiles for the ceiling (those foam-like tiles that I do not know the name of), in hopes that they will absorb enough of the sound and reflections.

http://blog.mixonline.com/briefingro...ston_sound.JPG Something like that is used in this picture, I was hoping that someone here could help me identify what type of ceiling tiles these are, and where I could get my hands on them.

Secondly, I plan to have a decent sized rug in the room. The rug would be about 2/3 of the room size and would be positioned on the opposite side of the mixing position.

I plan to have the back two wall corners in a 45 degree angle (like a hexagon shape).
Bass traps in all corners.

From there I'm a little bit confused on what I'll need, or if any of my previous ideas conflict. It's not that I haven't done a decent amount of research, I just need advice from someone with experience.

Things that I am not sure of are
- absorption panels on the side walls and/or the wall behind the monitors.
- a section of diffuser panels along one of the side walls or the wall behind monitors, or none.

I'd appreciate any input and help on getting this room sounding sweet!

I should mention that one end of this room will also be used as a small living-area. So a couple couches would be filling the empty space of this big room.
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I plan to have the back two wall corners in a 45 degree angle (like a hexagon shape).
Bass traps in all corners.
If you plan on filling it will fiberglass and covering with fabric then great, but don't just put up drywall going across the corner.

The ceiling panels look like covered wrapped fiberglass. That is not what you buy from a place like home depot. Those are mostly to rigid and will just reflect sound.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…