Quantcast
Beginning my studio build. Require some advise. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Beginning my studio build. Require some advise.
Old 29th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Beginning my studio build. Require some advise.

I have recently purchased a house and currently conventing the loft. The ceiling of the room in question has yet to be installed. Only the joists are in place at present. The room walls are asymmetrical and the room is also to house a kitewind staircase leading upstairs. See below for a rough approximation of the room.

Work is being carried out by myself and my brother (who just happens to be a very competent joiner). Things are progressing at quite a rate and I am keen to maintain the momentum as to not lose my brothers interest (as he is carrying out the work for the cost of materials).

The rooms function will be twofold. a.) music production and b.) hosting band rehearsals.

I have a few questions as regards where the best placement for the desk will be and how I should approach treating the ceiling.

My initial thought is to have the desk facing the south wall (BACK WALL) due to the symmetry of that end of the room, obviously, omitting the staircase. Should I be concerned with the position of the staircase while making my decision? Bearing in mind that in this position, there will still be plenty of wall space for mounting absorption at the first reflection points.

As regards the ceiling, as stated the joists are currently exposed. Also, toward the north wall (FRONT WALL) the ceiling steps up. The ceiling is 7'6 at its lowest point. I have had trouble finding much advise as regards ceiling treatment. However, I do see the opportunity to make an impressive bass trap.

I have scored 20sq metres of fireseal acoustic foam supplied in 2000x1000x50mm sheets (data sheet http://www.ribaproductselector.com/D.../COL227080.pdf ) and also approximately 10sq metres of 50mm thick reconstituted foam sheets of various sizes. The recon material has a density of 95kg/m3 and passes the "breath" test.

My gut feeling is to stuff standard 8" fluffy loft insulation between the 8" joists and then face the ceiling with the fireseal for the lower portion. For the stepped section near the windows. I was thinking of constructing a trapezoid shaped frame that would be fixed flush with the face of the lower ceiling which would then angle up to meet the corner where the front wall meets the ceiling. This frame would be stuffed full of fluffy type loft insulation and faced with the reconstituted foam. All the ceiling would then be faced with acoustically transparent material for aesthetics.

Does this sound like it would be affective or overkill? I am keen to hear any suggestions as regards how I should proceed. Especially, if there is something important I have overlooked.

Kind Regards

Mark

Larger images:-

http://www.imageurlhost.com/images/3...iycn94h7ki.jpg
http://www.imageurlhost.com/images/f...4a4r1q8s99.jpg
http://www.imageurlhost.com/images/r...5attqh7glj.jpg
http://www.imageurlhost.com/images/0...wi70nnvffo.jpg
http://www.imageurlhost.com/images/w...7hrft73lo1.jpg
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
can you make the picture smaller? It is making it hard to read your copy and see the pictures.
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
My apologies. Resized as requested.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
you could try the foam over the soft insulation. it should fairly reflective so the ceiling shouldn't make things dead and you could add spot absorption to finish.
where are you planning on putting your mix desk? lower left opposite the stairs?
Old 30th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi Gullfo,

I managed to get the fireseal foam from a contact at work. I got it at cost but it was still relatively expensive. Do you feel the gains from mounting it on the ceiling would be notable. If not, I wonder if I could use it to greater effect in traps in the corners, etc and either just stuff fluffy insulation between the joists or maybe mounting the cheap recon foam just above the mixing area instead.

I imagine the best place for the mixing position would be pointing toward the back wall. The wall opposite the wall with the windows due to the symmetry but I would not be against having it elsewhere. We installed the staircase today. It doesn't extend as far toward the door as shown in the diagrams so getting around the desk in this position should not be an issue.

I will be taking my time to analysis the room properly when the major work is over. However, I would appreciate some opinions to work with while the structure is still open

What are your thoughts?
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
my preference would not to be using the foam at all but if you've already paid for it you might consider using it. using it on the ceiling, spanning corners etc, should be ok - pay attention to reflection points when laying it out.

one option on the layout would be facing the wall behind the stairs and creating a short wall which mirrors the window wall so you have an angled set of walls relative to your desk. again a lot depends on the importance of the mix position versus live room usage.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…