Quantcast
Plenum question - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Plenum question
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Plenum question

I've seen a lot of people building plenums to slow/quiet the air flow in to a studio environment and all that I've seen are made it of wood and covered with 703 or 701 inside. My question is do you seal or paint the inside part of the wood first? My concern would be condensation and then mold on the plywood.
Or do you simply spray adhesive to hold the insulation and move on?
Thanks!
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The few wood cases we have made were extensively primed and painted for the same doubts you have. This doesn't say it is needed, we just like to be safe. If you realy want to be safe, isolate the outside to move the temperature at which condensation takes place outside of the box.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Duct liner is what I've heard recommended.
The box edges should be sealed air tight.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
What kind of duct liner? I've only been able to find basic fiberglass liners. In my mind it is more like a rubber or plastic base that covers the wood then you add the fiberglass on top of that.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
if you have condensation problems great enough to cause mold in your plenum - you will have humidity levels high enough to cause mold problems in your entire space.

So picture hidden behind your bass traps in the room corners (just one example.)

And as far as the ductwork material goes - you can get mold in ductwork regardless of the material the duct is constructed from.

One has nothing to do with the other....

Rod
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandbell ➑️
What kind of duct liner? I've only been able to find basic fiberglass liners. In my mind it is more like a rubber or plastic base that covers the wood then you add the fiberglass on top of that.
703 is a rigid fiberglass product - a particular product with a registered name that identifies the company who manufactures it.

It is not "duct liner".

It could be used to insulate the outside of a duct if it was faced - but not used inside of the body of the duct.

I generally specify Johns Manville Super Duct, which is a polymer faced duct liner.

As I mentioned above - if you have humidity levels in your space that are going to cause issues with mold - the sound baffle is only one small part of the problem. Your walls - the remainder of your ductwork - all of this is going to be an issue.

If you have a real concern about this - why not just make the box using metal duct materials - line that - and then box the entire assembly in to maintain your isolation?

Rod
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
You're the man, Rod!
That is exactly what I was after. Saved me a bit of work as well.
Thanks
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…