Subwoofer help please... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Subwoofer help please...
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Subwoofer help please...

Hi,

I own a pair of genelec 8020b monitors and I absolutely love them .
I would like to a add a subwoofer to my setup but I'm not sure what is the right one for my small room.
I live in a very badly soundproofed apartment so does it even make any sense to get a subwoofer? And if yes which one would you recommend, genelec 7050b or the 5040 one. I prefer the 5040a becuase of the price and size for my small room but Ive read the sub is not for mixing, it tends to color the sound to much. Is that true? any experience with that setup?

Thanks!
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Guru

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Lightbulb

Those speakers go down only to 66 Hz, so you would benefit from speakers that go lower. Can you trade them in for a larger model? That would be better IMO than adding a subwoofer.

--Ethan

The Acoustic Treatment Experts
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Why is it better to replace them instead of adding a subwoofer?
Isn't the point to go lower? So what is the difference?

Thanks!
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Lightbulb

Unless you're mixing surround sound for movie sound tracks, it's usually better to have a pair of full-range speakers that go as low as needed, rather than lesser speakers with a subwoofer. The quote below is from my Audio Expert book.

--Ethan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Audio Expert
Subwoofers are important for home theater multichannel surround systems because movie soundtracks include an LFE channel dedicated to low-frequency sound effects. Here, LFE stands for Low Frequency Effects, and it's the ".1" in a 5.1 or 7.1 system because its limited bandwidth handles only frequencies from 120 Hz and lower. For recording studios and normal stereo listening, my personal preference is a single pair of full-range speakers that can play down to at least 50 Hz or lower.

When you add a subwoofer to a stereo music system, another crossover frequency is needed that splits the bass range to come from three physical locations instead of only two - the left and right main speaker's woofers, plus the subwoofer. This can skew the response around the crossover frequency more than the regular crossover in a two-way speaker, because the sub is not usually adjacent to the main woofer. So now sound from three distant locations must combine in phase to a unified whole at the listening position. As loudspeaker expert Floyd Toole would say, this is basically a "lottery" scheme; there's no simple way to predict how these three disparate low-frequency sources will couple to excite the room modes.
๐Ÿ“ Reply