Quantcast
In a bedroom studio, would it be best to have a window to the side, front or behind? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
In a bedroom studio, would it be best to have a window to the side, front or behind?
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
In a bedroom studio, would it be best to have a window to the side, front or behind?

I just moved into a new place, and my room is pretty tiny, and has a tall window. I'm just wondering where I should set up my desk and monitors. Thanks in advance for any advice!!
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Guru

๐ŸŽง 15 years
You want good symmetry and face the short wall (a normal room).
Positioning the Listening Spot - GIK Acoustics
If you would like to list a layout of your room we can take a look and go from there.
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Hey Glenn! Thank you so much for your reply and the information.

I move into my new place in a couple days and will update with the room dimensions and a layout then~

Thanks again!
Old 26th January 2013
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
I guess now it all depends what wall the window is on

What's outside the window? If it were something fairly broadband like traffic noise then i'd say have the window in front or behind (i don't reckon it'd make too much difference) but avoid the sides if you can.

In theory - having a nearby white noise source would potentially mask any particularly quiet frequencies in the mix. But unless it's really really loud I don't think it's too critical. Sure if you have a motorway outside there's bigger concerns than noise coming through the window.

And yes, short wall is usually the better option - more distance to the back wall etc. Just as long as the monitors have good acoustical controls, especially if you have to stick them in the corners of a rather thin room.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…