Quantcast
Can only hear bass in the back of room - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Can only hear bass in the back of room
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Can only hear bass in the back of room

In my apartment room, I have yamaha HS80ms next to my laptop on a desk. When sitting in my chair the bass is not really that clear. But when I walk to the back of the room, the bass response is near perfect.

Is there ANYTHING I can do about this? I cant really move my setup back there, I can only slide it to the left or right a little. Am I doomed for a poor bass response because of the size of my room?

PS: I previously had Hs50ms with a KRK 10s subwoofer but I had this same problem with it actually even worse. So im pretty frustrated
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I'd recommend learning how to measure the room with REW or equivalent.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studi...t-results.html

You'll probably need to add quite a bit of bass trapping.

Can you post a shetch of the room with dimensions?
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Forgot to mention I have 4 bass traps on- 2 back corners and 2 in the ceiling line infront of my setup.

Ill check out that thread, thanks.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Do you get the same increase in bass response if you go and listen at the front wall too? If so then you probably need to target the fundamental axial mode between front and back wall. Incidentally your mixing position will most likely then be sitting in the null, hence your perception of being a bit bass light. You will never get a perfectly flat response from front wall to rear wall; the best you can aim for is a reasonable "zone" around your mix position, which you can only achieve with correct treatment positioned with reference to measurement.

1. Measure the room
2. Vary your listener position (measuring position)/ loudspeaker setup to find the best set-up.
3. Use relevant treatment to reduce modal ringing and early reflections
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncamorea ➑️
I'd recommend learning how to measure the room with REW or equivalent.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studi...t-results.html

You'll probably need to add quite a bit of bass trapping.

Can you post a shetch of the room with dimensions?
Agreed.. You might think it is right back there but it might just be VERY bass heavy. I do recommend test the room. It might also be that you are sitting in a null so just moving forward or back might help.
Bass Traps and Understanding Low Frequencies - GIK AcousticsAcoustic Panels | Bass Traps | Diffusors | GIK Acoustics
Room EQ Wizard Tutorial - GIK AcousticsAcoustic Panels | Bass Traps | Diffusors | GIK Acoustics
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecube1 ➑️
Do you get the same increase in bass response if you go and listen at the front wall too?
No, just the back wall. Seems like its the sweet spot
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Sweet

Try moving your speakers extremely close to the front wall.
You can try to optimise your speaker and listening positions by ear but acoustic measurement will make the process a lot more certain.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studi...er-v2-1-a.html
Take a look a the graph at the end of that article. Improvement by position change only.
DD
Old 1st February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras ➑️
Agreed.. You might think it is right back there but it might just be VERY bass heavy. I do recommend test the room. It might also be that you are sitting in a null so just moving forward or back might help.
Bass Traps and Understanding Low Frequencies - GIK AcousticsAcoustic Panels | Bass Traps | Diffusors | GIK Acoustics
Room EQ Wizard Tutorial - GIK AcousticsAcoustic Panels | Bass Traps | Diffusors | GIK Acoustics
I am getting ready to run REW on my room using an ECM8000. Any suggestions on what type of pre to use? I'm running a LYNX Aurora 16, and I have several different pre's.(1073, Germanium, API,ect)
Thanks
Old 28th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyder boy ➑️
I am getting ready to run REW on my room using an ECM8000. Any suggestions on what type of pre to use? I'm running a LYNX Aurora 16, and I have several different pre's.(1073, Germanium, API,ect)
Thanks
Anyone?
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Any preamp that is not terrible will work but if you have an option, use the one with the least amount of "colour" (low distortion/phase shifts/noise, and a linear frequency response).

In the bass region, there are two things to consider; position (source and receiver) and treatment, in relation to modal and SBIR related issues:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/bass-...ml#post8502850
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/8672631-post329.html
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studi...07-sbir-9.html
πŸ“ Reply