Quantcast
Considering adding wood walls to my studio - any ideas? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Considering adding wood walls to my studio - any ideas?
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Considering adding wood walls to my studio - any ideas?

In an attempt to improve the atmosphere, vibe (and yes accoustics) in my studio I have considered adding wood to the walls in my:

- Control Room
- Vocal Room
- Live Room
- Drum Iso Room

Currently, all rooms are concrete slab, with pad and carpet on top. Walls are single or double drywall.

- Drum Iso (wood floating floor to be added soon) is a room within a room inside the Live Room with staggered studs, double drywall inside and out, etc.
- Vocal room is double drywall
- All rooms are accoustically treated with celing clouds and broadband & bass trapping built with OC703, or Roxul SafenSound or AFB.

Current sound is actually not too shabby I must say but, like may of you, I'm always looking to improve/have ADD and need to keep it moving.

Any suggestions as to why I should or shouldnt do this? If your answer is should, any advice on what wood to look for and/or installation tips?

Thanks a lot.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just so you know, it´s not wood per se that makes some rooms sound good; it´s how it behaves when mounded in a certain way (and this applies to other material than wood also so there’s nothing magic about wood, it just happens to be a common material to use). More on this topic here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studi...-question.html

What you should do is measure your rooms and locate your modal frequencies (and especially those that are causing you trouble) and build some pressure based absorbers (and yes, possibly made of wood) tuned for these frequencies. You also might want to learn about diffusers and how to use them.
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Eklund ➡️
Just so you know, it´s not wood per se that makes some rooms sound good; it´s how it behaves when mounded in a certain way (and this applies to other material than wood also so there’s nothing magic about wood, it just happens to be a common material to use). More on this topic here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studi...-question.html

What you should do is measure your rooms and locate your modal frequencies (and especially those that are causing you trouble) and build some pressure based absorbers (and yes, possibly made of wood) tuned for these frequencies. You also might want to learn about diffusers and how to use them.
+1.

Andre
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…