Renters' Dilemma - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Renters' Dilemma
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Renters' Dilemma

Hey all,

I've been mixing in a brownstone apt and as a renter, won't be able to hang heavy traps from the ceiling.

I recently picked up a Dayton EMM-6 and along with Fuzz Measure, I'm attempting to see just how bad this room is

I've included a floorplan, pic, Fuzz Measure session and 2 Waterfall pics (2nd Waterfall showing some improvement when I moved more Bass Traps to the front wall.

I was pretty shocked recently when realizing that if I played a loud Sine Wave set to around 130 Hz, the sound practically disappears in the middle of the room but is very loud near the front!

Ceiling is only about 8" ft high. Perhaps that's the biggest culprit here...
As I can't drill into the ceiling, was just wondering if any of you thought this space could be fixed with optimal speaker placements and/or dropping a lot more $ on Bass Absoprtion for the front wall.

I'm a huge fan of RealTraps but wondering if I could by with what I have already: 5 Minitraps, 2 Mondo Traps and 6 "limp mass" BassTraps from Acoustimac.

I've got a couple B 24 "Elite" Rigid FiberGlass panels from Auralex I could maybe hang off ceiling. Although I'm assuming those will do little to nothing for this massive low end disfunction...

Any tips would be greatly appreciated
-Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Renters' Dilemma-songloft_room-pic.jpg  
Attached Images
File Type: png SongLoft_Floorplan.png (42.7 KB, 114 views) File Type: jpg SongLoft_Waterfall 1.jpg (84.9 KB, 115 views) File Type: jpg SongLoft_Waterfall 2_moved BassTraps to frontwall .jpg (84.3 KB, 117 views)
Attached Files
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
You can add supports on either side of your first reflection point treatments that form an arch-like structure to hang a cloud from.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
The one nice part about buying a finished product is being able to get personal consulting from the company vs getting a lot of info that might or might not be right on the internet. I recommend contacting the company you bought from and have them answer any room acoustic questions you have.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hi Glenn. Your recommendation is duly noted (and thanks for all your advice on these boards)
I know some of the info on these boards may not be up to the professional standards of yourself or Realtraps. I'll certainly get in touch with them.

Nonetheless, perhaps someone on here has worked out of a similar room and had some advice on what worked for them.

thanks
-C
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongLoft ➑️
if I played a loud Sine Wave set to around 130 Hz, the sound practically disappears in the middle of the room but is very loud near the front!
This is usually due to waves moving between the front and rear walls, which cancels in the middle at some frequencies. How long is your room?

Quote:
I'm a huge fan of RealTraps but wondering if I could by with what I have already: 5 Minitraps, 2 Mondo Traps and 6 "limp mass" BassTraps from Acoustimac.
That's certainly a good start, though adding more traps will only help.

--Ethan

The Acoustic Treatment Experts
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hey Ethan

thanks for chiming in.

The room is 25' in length but there's no real "wall" behind me...
I have hung a double layer of felt drapes and beyond that is another 24' long room.
(it's essentially a studio apt on the bottom floor of an old brownstone building)

For calculating modes would I consider this a 49' foot space ??
49' X 10' X 8' seems like a wacky room...

I'm assuming Bass waves will travel right through a curtain but there's also a little bit of wall framing up near ceiling (about 16" by 3")

cheers,
Chris
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongLoft ➑️
For calculating modes would I consider this a 49' foot space ??
Yes, exactly.

I wouldn't worry about calculating modes because the room is what it is. You should instead focus on treating it.

--Ethan
πŸ“ Reply