The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Please help - electrical(?) interference
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Please help - electrical(?) interference

Hi,

Long time lurker, 1st post.

I have a basement home studio, and I have a problem with (I think) electrical intereference which is driving me nuts. Here's what it sounds like:
Electrical Noise - YouTube

This same noise comes out of any amp, as well as my studio monitors. It's pretty much random, comes up every few minutes for 10-15 seconds, altho sometimes lasts for 30 seconds or more.

It's ONLY in the basement, I take an amp upstairs and it's fine.

I've turned off all the breakers to the basement, run an extension cord down from the 1st floor, and I still get the noise.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by AlfromNH; 23rd January 2013 at 03:59 AM.. Reason: fix link
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Someone else had the same problem last Fall.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studi...r-pickups.html
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the heads up.

There's some stuff in that thread for me to try, but my problem is different in that it is not related to the position of the guitar or amp, and it comes and goes randomly. The buzz also comes thru my studio monitors. But not the home theater rcvr in the other half of the basement.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Are you using a computer? It could be bus noise.

If it is the power lines, get a power isolation transformer with enough VA for your equipment.
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I'm having what seems to be the same sound coming out of my control room monitors. Has anyone found a solution to this. It is completely random when it happens and only goes for a 2-3 seconds, but sounds the same as the previous example linked below.

Electrical Noise - YouTube

I was running the same system that I am now in another house without this issue, so I suspect is has something to do with electrical in the new house. (new construction)

Dynaudio BM6 MkII monitors
KRK Ergo volume knob
m-Audion Profire lightbridge
Digimax FS preamp
macbook pro 17 laptop.

Last edited by caesura; 26th January 2013 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: add more info
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
For intermittent short runs of this nature I would probably look first at boiler circuits, refrigerator circuits - air conditioning circuits - anything that you would expect to turn on and off rather quickly, in random patterns.

Turning those types of items off for a period of time longer than the pattern you're experiencing should be an easy way of figuring out if they're the problem.

Rod
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
If you still have a battery powered AM radio, tune it off station at the low end of the band, then go around the house and the neighborhood and see if you can locate the source.

This is a blog from a HAM that often goes searching for interference.

The EMI - RFI page
EMI - RFI page
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater ➑️
If you still have a battery powered AM radio, tune it off station at the low end of the band, then go around the house and the neighborhood and see if you can locate the source.

This is a blog from a HAM that often goes searching for interference.

The EMI - RFI page
EMI - RFI page
Speed,

The fact that he said:

Quote:
It's ONLY in the basement, I take an amp upstairs and it's fine.
suggests that the problem in one being generated within his electrical system and not from an air borne source outside of (or even within) the house.

I would expect the basement to be better shielded from outside transmission sources than the space directly above it.

Rod
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thanks for all the help guys. Oddly enough, I haven't had the noise come up in a couple days. I can't think of anything that's different as far as electrical devices in use. Really puzzling and annoying... I wish I could believe it was gone for good.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Perhaps your electrical supplier was doing something with their system (or having a problem with it) that was being transmitted into your home via the power cables.

Rod
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Rod, you're most probably correct.
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater ➑️
Rod, you're most probably correct.
Just sort of "best guessing" from here Speed.......... the intermittent thing to me kind of leads me towards something inside the house, along with the no problem upstairs.

However, there are never any guarantees when trying to figure something like this at a distance....

Heck - I've run into some problems in places I could physically test at where it took us months to isolate problems like this.

"But ya gots ta start somewhere" - so I always start with the easiest approach - and once in a while get lucky........

Rod
πŸ“ Reply