Order of processes for room treatment - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Order of processes for room treatment
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Order of processes for room treatment

Hi there,

I am finally doing the right thing and doing my best to try and get my room sounding as good as it can. I am planning on upgrading my front end but I want to get the room sounding great before throwing more money down on gear. (I am already pretty happy with what I have)

I am moving into a new place where I will have a significantly larger room than the one I am in now. (Still not huge but big enough to get a more even bass response) I have a decent grip on what materials I need, and the placement of said materials (do in large part to you wonderful folks). I will wait until I have specific questions for those matters. I have Yamaha HS50โ€™s with the matching 10sw Sub.

My question right now is,

What is the best way to proceed?

1. Test the room without treatment placed with only HS50โ€™s no sub
2. Treat room and keep testing to flatten out response
3. Then calibrate sub

I am wary of trying to effectively calibrate my sub without getting the room treated first. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Robby
p.s. if it matters. I am a professional composer. I write for mostly slot machines and do other jingle work and backing tracks for singers. I use mostly virtual instruments only recording vocals, my piano, and the occasional sax/trumpet or acoustic guitar.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
If it were me, I would do initial testing WITH a sub. I would try various locations though.

I think you need to evaluate the bass character along with the mids/highs of the room BEFORE treatment, otherwise you dont know the full picture of whats going on.

The amount of bass trapping you will need will play some role in how you treat the rest of the room. If extensive bass trapping is required, then you may have to take into account how to keep the level of "liveliness" you want given high degrees of bass trapping may make the room a bit dead.

I might go as far as treating the bass issue first, then dealing with the first reflection points and so on. If you treat the mid/highs first, its possible you may have to modify it to get the bass right. The opposite situation isnt as likely given the mid/high treatment wont affect the bass response that much.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
The idea (in my mind anyway) is to find the optimal location for speakers/listener before you apply room treatments - after which point you treat the room - knowing that no matter what you do the speakers are in the best position they could ever be.

I would not treat a sub any differently (in that regard) than any other speaker.

Rod
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Gervais โžก๏ธ
The idea (in my mind anyway) is to find the optimal location for speakers/listener before you apply room treatments - after which point you treat the room - knowing that no matter what you do the speakers are in the best position they could ever be.

I would not treat a sub any differently (in that regard) than any other speaker.

Rod
Absolutely!
+1

There may be a degree of freedom to find a better position for loudspeakers and listener, if acoustic treatment is not homogenous... so, some corrections may be possible, but broadly speaking, what Rod described in short, is a only right way to acoustically treat a small room.

Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Thanks for the quick and intelligent replies gentlemen. So it sounds like I should set the sub where I think it should go, level wise. Then try some different locations. Then add treatment and tweak from there.

Thanks guys. Please be aware I will probably be back with pictures of my waterfall graph asking you to 'fix me'

Be Well,
Robby
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…