Very small control room. Ideas? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Very small control room. Ideas?
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Very small control room. Ideas?

Hey guys,

I am in the process of going to a small studio instead of my studio at home. There are three rooms in there, one for rehearsals, one being the ´live room´ and the third, what would me the control room. The thing is, it is very small, about 2.27m long, 2.18m wide and 2.8m high. (around 7.3ft x 7ft x 9ft). Can one make it sound at least OK ? What should one do to it ?
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
You have 2 things going against you. One that the room is VERY small and the second it is square which is not good. It will never be perfect but you could just bass trap every corner (rooms have 12 corners around the room) and panels for early reflection points. The room is going to end up dead but then again in that size room there is no room sound you would want.
The Basics of Room Acoustics: Bass Traps, Diffusion, Panels - GIK Acoustics
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Including the wall-floor corners ?
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangoux ➡️
Including the wall-floor corners ?
If you have the room, yes.. I find that in front of the mixing area there is open space on the floor, so if you have space there us it.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I dont got a big controll room myself, its 4m long x 3m width x 2,80m height. At first I thought I could never get a decent sound in that but I was wrong. I got a lil bonus cause it'S a roof apartment and the wall behind me is diagonally which helps absorbing the sound and reflecting it to the bottom where I got a fancy oriental carpet layed out lol.

I put some acoustics on the roof, some on the wall and basstraps in each corner about 2m height. The room acoustics transformed from ****ty to almost 100 % for my needs.

So a small control room shouldnt be a barrier with some treatments. Just dont overkill and make the room dead. Dont buy to big speakers the room can't handle and you should be fine.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the replies, guys!

My tracking room is not much bigger, around 3 square meters (I dont have the exact measurements atm). Same idea? Is it necessary to add a cloud over the drumset, or something behind the kit, as it will be very close to one of the walls ?
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangoux ➡️
Thanks for the replies, guys!

My tracking room is not much bigger, around 3 square meters (I dont have the exact measurements atm). Same idea? Is it necessary to add a cloud over the drumset, or something behind the kit, as it will be very close to one of the walls ?
Yes to all of that.
Dive through our video page that should help you out.
Educational Videos - Acoustic Panels | Bass Traps | Diffusors | GIK Acoustics
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Kit

The Drumkit is a special case. I would place it in a corner facing out. This creates a sort of bass horn which nicely adds fundamental tone. The overhead mics will suffer greatly from ceiling reflections if the ceiling is low. PZM's on the ceiling or wall behind will eliminate this.
Some people mic under the cymbals and so on but a cloud would be very useful here. Drums do not like absorption underneath. Thin drum mats are fine but carpet really kills them.
DD
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…