Quantcast
Panel Placement Help - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Panel Placement Help
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Panel Placement Help

Hey guys, I just made six 2" acoustic panels that are 2' x 4' and looking for some help on exactly where they should be placed in my room. I use this room for mixing and recording, i'm also planning on building some more panels and bass traps soon.

Here's a picture of my room with the exact measurements. If i'v left out any important details feel free to ask me questions. Thanks, i'd appreciate it!

Height of my room is 7ft
Attached Thumbnails
Panel Placement Help-studioroom.jpg  
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
You can use 2" panels for early reflection points (I actually recommend 4" if possible) but in a small room the problem is bass frequencies which you need no less then 4" panels straddling as many corners as possible. Also, if possible you should have your mix spot against the right wall. Here are a few videos to help you with set up and understanding room acoustics.
The Basics of Room Acoustics: Bass Traps, Diffusion, Panels - GIK Acoustics
Video Early or First Reflection Points - GIK Acoustics
Bass Traps and Understanding Low Frequencies - GIK Acoustics
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thanks! Checked the videos out they're a huge help. But i'm not too sure it's possible to have my mix position on the right wall. I could try to rearrange my room but the couch doesn't really fit anywhere else. Is it because the closet interferes with the way it's set up now? I could probably hang a panel where the wall cuts off.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
The the one speaker is in that corner, which is going to throw off the balance. Plus the sidewalls are really close. You can work with it but you are going to get a much better balance facing the right wall.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Actually the speaker isnt in a corner it just looks like that in the diagram because of the window, here is a real picture of my mix area.

Also if i had my mix position on the right wall, how would i get the bass trap in the corner where the door is?
Attached Thumbnails
Panel Placement Help-2013-01-22-16.50.36.jpg  
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
does this change anything or would i still get a better balance on the right wall?
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
by the right wall did u mean where the tv is? Hope so, i rearranged my room heres a new pic with a couple pannels i built so far
http://i45.tinypic.com/2uh0pdc.jpg
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilic ➑️
by the right wall did u mean where the tv is? Hope so, i rearranged my room heres a new pic with a couple pannels i built so far
http://i45.tinypic.com/2uh0pdc.jpg
No I was talking about the right wall. You do have more room then I though so it might be fine. Over all though the right wall will be better because the side walls are further from the mix spot. You don't want to face the wall with the TV. See the following test.
http://gikacoustics.com/positioning-listening-spot/
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I redid my room with my mix position on the right wall like you suggested. I ran into couple of problems. I circled the area in the pic where one of the first reflections would be, i used the mirror trick. Also i'm not sure how i'm going to get a bass trap in that corner. Please let me know your suggestions.

http://i49.tinypic.com/35m49zb.jpg
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I would use the panel on a stand.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…