Quantcast
Foam boxes/ Absorbency around microphones? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Foam boxes/ Absorbency around microphones?
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Red face Foam boxes/ Absorbency around microphones?

Hey yall,

Recently, I've been seeing a couple of ads and products that put a sort of chamber around your mic to help against room reflection. The front of the mic of course faces the person, while the sides and the back are towards the chamber. Depending on the chamber, it could be fully enclosed with a top, or open top and bottom. Either design has either absorption foam, or fiber glass paneling.

I'm much more interested in these boxes with closed top and bottom that seem to pretty much have the mic in the middle and filled with absorption foam. Are these little things effective in semi to non treated rooms? At first I thought it didn't make sense since the mic's back (the rejection side) is facing the chamber and wouldn't do much, but then again, you pretty much limit your first reflection point that way. You of course would get a first reflection the louder the person goes but in this case, then you'd just have to worry about the back in which you could either let the room treatment help, or add a standing panel of some sort (one of those partition things) behind the vocalist.

Any input on this would be nice as if it's effective, I might try building one of those boxes if not getting one. If there's a tutorial on how to build on that can easily screw on to a mic stand, that'd be great too.

Though my room is semi treated, I'm not in an iso booth when I do recordings. My vocal sound is clean (especially after processing), but I'm definitely sure I could get the sound more flatter before processing with the gates and such.

Thanks everyone
Old 22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Lightbulb

Absorption behind microphones can do a good job of avoiding room tone, but the key is their size. Very small absorbers are not useful at all, medium sized absorbers work better, and large ones work the best.

--Ethan

The Acoustic Treatment Experts
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hey Ethan! :D

I'm guessing that's because of the density of the material. But even with shorter frequencies like vocals, I thought size and density were mainly to control longer standing waves like bass tones? Since I'm pretty sure the vocalist wouldn't have the same power and bass resonance as an electric bass (lol), It would seem like you wouldn't need something so dense to kill those vocal frequencies, also considering that with that box, you're essentially creating a new space?

Seems like the best bet is gobos and definitely more treatment in the room.

I'm just curious really as I've always wondered if that product would be really effective at all.
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUFO_2000 ➡️
I'm guessing that's because of the density of the material.
Density really hasn't much to do with it. The significant figure is "gas flow resistivity" and "thickness".

Quote:
I thought size and density were mainly to control longer standing waves like bass tones?
Usually, thicker absorbers do absorb standing waves / modal resonances, and just low frequencies in general, yes.

Quote:
Since I'm pretty sure the vocalist wouldn't have the same power and bass resonance as an electric bass (lol)
Actually, yes, and probably much more, too. Strike an E on a bass guitar that isn't plugged into an amp, and sing a low tone. Your voice will likely put out much more low frequency energy. But in either case, vocals do go down to 125-150 Hz, and if not treated in that frequency range, can give boxy or boomy vocals.

Quote:
also considering that with that box, you're essentially creating a new space?
Slightly, but this is actually very bad. The resonances would be up in the hundreds of Hz, as opposed to 80 Hz, 50 Hz, or 40 Hz resonances in a small room that would be undetectable in vocals.

The best solution is to treat the room!
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I love it when you guys set off knowledge bombs in these kinds of threads.

Especially when other folks/companies come with exaggerated claims about their product making promises of "guarantee to get that commercial sound".

Cheers to you guys!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Chris ➡️
I love it when you guys set off knowledge bombs in these kinds of threads.

Especially when other folks/companies come with exaggerated claims about their product making promises of "guarantee to get that commercial sound".

Cheers to you guys!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
We keep asking the lab to send us back reports with a "That sound %" figure...I'll let you know when they finally give in with the secret measurements.
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Lightbulb

Quote:
I thought size and density were mainly to control longer standing waves like bass tones?
Exactly. At "voice" frequencies it's mainly about surface area.

--Ethan
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIK Acoustics ➡️
We keep asking the lab to send us back reports with a "That sound %" figure...I'll let you know when they finally give in with the secret measurements.
That is awesome!! Love it that u guys are proactive about it.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Thanks for clearing that up guys!
Looks like it's more custom wall panels and gobos in my future lol. They look great but take forever to build x_X.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up guys!
Looks like it's more custom wall panels and gobos in my future lol. They look great but take forever to build x_X.
Its the best way to go. I got tired of over thinking the layout, DIY, 705 or 703, 2" or 4", where to order it and how much of it, putting them together, etc.

In fact I just submitted the room I'm working on to GIK for advice on how best to treat it. Its gonna be a bit more $$ but at least it takes the thinking out, putting it together, and will look more professional than how it would've if I did it myself lol.

Cheers!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
📝 Reply