Quantcast
Newbie Here Planing On Opening Small Studio - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Newbie Here Planing On Opening Small Studio
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Newbie Here Planing On Opening Small Studio

Hey guys I am new on here, but have been lurking the forums for a good 2 years or so now so I don't make a complete idiot of myself when I post for the first time (i.e: now).

So basically I am opening a small studio and would love the hear some suggestions from you guys on what I can do to make this the best studio possible within reasonable budget.

So basically this is what I have so far.

We are planning on having a space that is rectangular at-least 15 ft wide by 30 ft long. Acoustic treatment everywhere that is necessary covering 50-75% of studio walls. Ceiling clouds, diffusers, bass traps and the works.
Studio monitors will be placed lengthwise at least 1 meter from the back wall converging at 60 degree angles to the centre of the room.

On studio monitors we are deciding on a pair of Mains between: Adam A77X, Dynaudio BM15 a's and Monroe Egg 150's... I was also looking at Adam P33's, but I could not see if they are good or not since they are old. I would prefer their 150hz crossover to the 400hz of the A77x's but I could not find any threads that stack them up against each other.
We will also have a pair of Yamaha NS-10's for a secondary reference just to make sure the mix's bang.

Now the catch is that we will be a studio primarily specializing in EDM and not so much band work.

So recording gear at the begging will be limited but plan to further expand when/if the studio picks up pace.

We plan to start off with an RME Fireface UFX audio interface with an SM7B and SM81 with a Great Rive NE-MV1 preamp since the only real recording done in the begging will be mostly single guitar works and vocals.(We were looking for the best all rounder mic's for the start)

For the mixing stage we went with a more modern approach. We are planing on have about 3 or so 24 inch monitors side by side and having our mixer board be 2 Mixed Logic M24 boards running through MIDI and controlling our DAW since we view consol's as something a bit outdated and a bit too expensive.

There will most likely be a second small room for the recording of the vocals and small acoustics that is also sound treated.

Oh and before I forget we plan on getting one of those microphone cloud just go give us a bit more gain for the mics.

We will also have a nice high end midi drum kit that is fully velocity sensitive for recording drummers and eventually bands. I find this to be better since you have greater control rather then just triggered drums.

So we are basically planning a studio that is not so conventional and rely mainly on new technology( midi controllers and the works), but of course when analogue is need it will be used.

For mixdowns and mastering a lot of the SSL and Waves plugins will be used to give the sound some "character" since vintage analogue gear is very expensive.

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks guys
Old 22nd January 2013
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Shameless bump :(, anyone?
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Lightbulb

I think the lack of responses is because your post covered too much ground, asking about room size, acoustics, gear, speakers and crossover frequencies, plug-ins, etc. Maybe stick to just one or two questions at a time, and ask about gear in other GS forum sections that focus on that. In the mean time, this will help you plan your room:

Graphical Mode Calculator
How to set up a room
Early Reflections
Acoustic Basics

--Ethan

The Acoustic Treatment Experts
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer โžก๏ธ
I think the lack of responses is because your post covered too much ground, asking about room size, acoustics, gear, speakers and crossover frequencies, plug-ins, etc. Maybe stick to just one or two questions at a time, and ask about gear in other GS forum sections that focus on that. In the mean time, this will help you plan your room:

Graphical Mode Calculator
How to set up a room
Early Reflections
Acoustic Basics

--Ethan

The Acoustic Treatment Experts
Already reading those . Thanks though
๐Ÿ“ Reply