Quantcast
3-room home studio pre-construction. Check my work? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
3-room home studio pre-construction. Check my work?
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 5 years
3-room home studio pre-construction. Check my work?

Recently relocated, I've been looking for a rental property to set up. However, because of the nature of the business, I have decided to eliminate the added overhead & do a few renovations to my home instead. By my estimates, for the same amount of a few months rent I can do these renovations. For visual reference, here is a 2d/3d rough mock-up of what I'm envisioning. Floorplanner - Studio Layout Rough

This will be my first critical construction project & wanted to ask the community for any insights before I put together a final budget prospectus, let alone spend any money; particularly possible limitations of my space, acoustic treatment basics, suggestions, etc.

As of now, the live room is a large living room (23'L x 19.5'W x 8'H) in the rear of my home. The control room & vocal room will be in what is now a small workshop (13'L x 5'W x 9'H) & storage area (5'L x 5'W x 9'H) in the garage; I will be moving the garage wall back 3 feet to give me a control room with dimensions of 13'L x 8'W x 9'H, and a vocal booth/multi-use with dimensions of 5'L x 8'W x 9'H.

Here are some of my thoughts & questions.

Live room:
The north wall between the two small nooks is actually a large brick fireplace.

I plan on building several clouds for the live room, as well as mobile gobos & wall panels. But, first things first, let's talk about the structure. My main concerns are the low 8' ceilings, large windows, and a carpeted floor.

With a room of my size, will 8' ceilings + clouds (leaving me with roughly 7' overhead) be an achilles heel for getting a good sounding room?

Will the windows cause me massive problems? I have considered building semi-permanent acoustic panels to fit over the entire windows. These would have to be massive (approx. 10'8"L X 6'H & 8'5"L x 6'H), but would save me from the problems I'm concerned about. Are my concerns founded? Or would some staggered gobos in front of the windows be sufficient? Other ideas?

My plan is to rip up the carpet & reinforce the floor. My thoughts are: subfloor>green glue>additional layer of subfloor>green glue>engineered flooring. Basically, I was curious if carpeted rooms are a complete no-no for tracking rooms & the flooring should be added to my immediate renovation plans. Hey, its just money, right?

Control Room & Vox Iso:
I have more flexibility here, as it will be practically new construction.

For the walls & ceilings, I am thinking rock wool>drywall>green glue>drywall. Overkill or a good plan? Terrible idea?

Existing floors are concrete. Would it be advantageous to frame in a new floor decoupled from the walls? I thought of framing in with 2x4s>stuffed with rock wool>subfloor>green glue>engineered flooring... Maybe an extra layer of plywood & green glue. Maybe I'm clueless

I'm thinking a sliding glass door between the hallway & vocal booth, and a sealed door between the booth and the CR.

Obviously treatments will be key in the CR, but I'm not at that phase right now.

Final (for now) thoughts.
This is all I can get on paper right now. I'm slightly overwhelmed in my head & sketchpads, so I thought I'd send it up the flag pole. All constructive criticisms and insights are greatly appreciated.

I have a nice opportunity to build a beautiful sanctuary in my home & want to make the most of it. If this is a bit premature or I have broken any pre-posting golden rules, I apologize. I've always been a measure twice, cut once kind of guy!

Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to discussing with you & finalizing some plans.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
couple of thoughts - no direct visibility between the rooms, the door in the LR looks like (if it opens inward) doesn't fit the indented wall. depending on your intentions for isolation - you need to consider something more in terms of air locks and so on. the CR seems a bit small but maybe you're restricted by existing load bearing walls etc?
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 5 years
The mock up is simply a visual aide, not a blueprint. The door will fit nicely and be able swing wide.

Forgot to mention the visibility thing. The wall between CR & LR is in fact a load bearing wall, so at this point, I'm planning to hook up some video cameras monitoring through 40" bravia's in the CR & LR. Between that and TB I'll be ok. Not ideal, but its probably the best I can do for now.

The CR is indeed a bit small, but I'm more limited by needing to leave the wife enough room to park her car than anything; believe me, I tried to get the whole garage I guess the other option would be to 86 the vocal room leaving a CR of 18'x8'x9', but I feel that would be counterproductive.

I'll do some searching on air locks. I'm not familiar, so thanks for the tip on a search query...

Thanks for your thoughts, Glenn!
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…