Quantcast
Is this space large enough for multiple rooms? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is this space large enough for multiple rooms?
Old 20th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Is this space large enough for multiple rooms?

Hello!

I have a garage in my home that was converted in to a usable space not too long ago that I am trying to turn in to a studio. I'm extremely new to the entire practice of acoustics, and have been lurking this forum for a long time now. Basically I am trying to figure out if the space I have is large enough to accommodate at least a live room, a control room, and a small vocal booth. The space has one exterior door and one interior door, as well as support poles.

The room size is: 21' wide x 25' long x 8' tall

Edit: It may also be worth noting that my floors are concrete with cinder block walls.

Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I'd be thinking more along the lines of having two booths (one at each door) plus a live/control room. If you make a CR, booth and a live room in that space, you'll need a large fraction of your footprint dedicated to bass trapping.
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I am sure you could divide up the the room but there is also no reason not to keep in one large room and use the money to treat it. Not sure what kind of budget you have but it starts to get pretty expensive (and take up a lot of room) once you try to divide up things if you want any kind of iso.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The challenge I see with iso-booths on the 2 corners is going to be coming up with a control room that makes sense.

Control rooms should be symmetrical in design. Taking 2 chucks out of opposite corners of the room are gong to make that very difficult without turning what's left into a very small control room.

If I was using a room this size it would be one large room - set up for the control room side of the equation. I would live with the rest when all is said and done.

Rod
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatballx ➑️
I am trying to figure out if the space I have is large enough to accommodate at least a live room, a control room, and a small vocal booth.
The most important question is how do you plan to use this room? Mostly for yourself and friends? To record rock bands for hire?

--Ethan

The Acoustic Treatment Experts
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
if you have the option to remove the posts - using new beams, and/or re-position the posts along with proper structure support, then you'd have a lot more options. perhaps you can move one, then that might help position the CR.
Attached Thumbnails
Is this space large enough for multiple rooms?-meatballx-studio.jpg  
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Glenn - great sketch. I thought along the lines that general shape then eyeball estimated the long dimension of the CR to be in the 13' range and was turned off by that.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
the other option is really like Rod described get a good CR to fit and hope the rest is useful. ideally replacement of the beams with steel could eliminate the poles and perhaps not intrude too much into the ceiling space and that would open up all kinds of possibilities...
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…