Quantcast
Building a new studio room - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Building a new studio room
Old 20th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Building a new studio room

Hi everyone. This is my first post in here.

We are looking to build a new room at our current studio. Our set up is mainly software based eg. Mac running logic, Mackie hr824 speakers, midi keyboard and a few other bit like maschine.

The max size of the room we can build is W-3.4, H-2.4, L-4.8

Soundproofing isn't an issue as the building is out the way of everything.

We were thinking of building stud walls clad both sides in 18mm ply, filled with rockwool then maybe a layer of plasterboard and skimmed or carpeted.

We have looked on various sites but can't seem to find anything about room sizes.

Is this size room going to create a decent listening environment, of course with the correct acoustic foam and bass traps added.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
A sketch would help. The first thing I want to be sure of is that you won't be making it a triple leaf wall.

By the way, "correct acoustic foam" is largely considered oxymoronic here. About th eonly thing I'd use foam for is in a VPR or maybe a gobo.
Old 20th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
What do you mean by triple leaf wall?

I haven't got a sketch as still in the early stages, just wanted to see if the room size was sufficient.

The room will be a rectangle at around the sizes I mentioned earlier with a desk at 1 end, the desk is approx 2m x 0.8m

We will not be doing any kind of recording in the room.

We make house and techno so just need a clean sounding space where we can mix an master the tracks

Thanks for the fast reply :-)
Old 20th January 2013
Old 20th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I was basically planning on building a room inside a room.

So it would basically be a freestanding room. Is this a bad idea?

Sorry, I'm not very clued up on this kinda thing :-s
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It might be a good idea to read "Home Recording Studio: Build It Like the Pros" by Rod Gervais, or consider employing an experienced studio designer. There are quite a few pitfalls along the way...
Old 21st January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer ➑️
It might be a good idea to read "Home Recording Studio: Build It Like the Pros" by Rod Gervais, or consider employing an experienced studio designer. There are quite a few pitfalls along the way...
+1. There is a a lot of great free stuff in the Acoustis reference gude sticky.

Andre
Old 23rd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Old 23rd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the replies guys. I have ordered the rod gervais book :-)
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Are you antislam, of antislam & weapon?

If isolation isn't an issue then you don't need to go the whole hog with "room in a room", double layers of plasterboard etc. I would concentrate on getting the room insulated for warmth more than anything, then measured with REW to help plan your acoustic treatment.
From the measurements it sounds like you're converting a garage type building, they're very similar to what I'm working with at the moment so I certainly hope it's a workable space or we'r both doomed!! If I remember rightly there is a thread on here about the "bare minimum" cubic feet for a studio which we just about scrape past so fingers crossed all will be fine!

+1 for Rods book also, it's a real eye opener & an invaluable tool. He's also a top bloke who will answer any questions you have on here, along with some of the other wise posters who have already chimed in for you!

Best of luck

Andre
πŸ“ Reply