Room measurement data - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Room measurement data
Old 25th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Room measurement data

Hey guys, how's everyone?

This afternoon I did a measurement of the acoustics in my control room. Since I'm not quite the expert in this field of work, I read some tips on equipment choice and mic placement on this forum and other places, and I think it went great ^^.
So I thought I'd post the results here, hoping that you guys might help me find the best solution for the problem areas.

This is what the room looked like right before the measurement:
Room measurement data-photo-3.jpg Room measurement data-photo-2.jpg

I used a Behringer ECM8000 microphone, connected to a M-Audio MobilePre USB soundcard, which was calibrated correctly. The software used is REW.
There were no EQ adjustments on the speakers.

The frequency response graph showed the following results:
Room measurement data-full-meas-cr-no-speaker-eq-spl.jpg

This looks to me like a decent result, although below +- 70Hz, these is something weird happening I think. Could this be the cause of the room being relatively small?

The waterfall graph showed these results:
Room measurement data-full-meas-cr-no-speaker-eq-waterfall.jpg

Seems like I need to get rid of some decay, especially in the low frequencies.

I hope this is a relatively good result, but I'm not quite sure how to interpret the quality of the low frequencies in this room.
The biggest problem of all I imagine, in the end, is the lack of space to hang some decent-sized panels in the corners, because of the door(s)... Maybe some panels behind and above the listening position will help?

In any case, thank you very much in advance.
If more information is needed, you only need ask!

Grts,
Steve
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
This looks to me like a decent result, although below +- 70Hz, these is something weird happening I think. Could this be the cause of the room being relatively small?
You are viewing that with 1/3 smoothing, which is covering up way to much. View it without smoothing from 20hz to around 300 hz. You will be shocked at how bad it is.

Your waterfall is showing a great deal of decay which is common for a untreated room.

You really should be facing the short wall to to give the speakers a longer throw to the back wall. Here is a test I did that talks about room orientation.
Video: Positioning Listening Spot
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras ➡️
You are viewing that with 1/3 smoothing, which is covering up way to much. View it without smoothing from 20hz to around 300 hz. You will be shocked at how bad it is.
Hi Glenn, thanks for the reply .

Here is the curve from 20 to 400 Hz without any smoothing:
Room measurement data-20-400hz-cr-no-speaker-eq-spl.jpg

And you're right, that's far from smooth at all ^^. Could there be another solution for taming those fluctuations than panels in the corners? Because I might only have space for them in single corner, if I move around some stuff...

As for the decay times, could broadband absorption behind the listening position be a step in the right direction?

Unfortunately I don't think I can move the speakers with their back against the short wall, because the desk is wider than that wall, and it would conlict with doors on either side.

Thanks!

Grts,
Steve
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
As for the decay times, could broadband absorption behind the listening position be a step in the right direction?
It would but it is going to have to be thick and good amount of coverage.
📝 Reply