Quantcast
Trouble finding the perfect volume - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Trouble finding the perfect volume
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Trouble finding the perfect volume

Hey whats up. Im currently trying to get my new speaker setup to sound as it should. My problem is the volumes for each output is different. Say i have itunes playing at its supposed volume, when i start a youtube video its way to loud. I dont want to have to adjust the volume for every different thing if that makes sense. Im using a focusrite saffire 14 with an iMac. I have the mixer settings on default,and my monitors are yamaha hs-50s with the hs10 sub. Should i change the mixer settings? This is kind of hard to explain, I'm knew to all this audio stuff so I'm pretty lost. Thanks.
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Is this for mixing or just listening? Either way make sure you have all the gain stages set up to give a proper level between your speaker sets. Then adjust your input levels from your devices as needed at the input or mixer level. If need be for listening purposes where you are switching frequently, consider using some dynamic controls to level out the signal.
Old 25th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Read Level Practices(Click the link), specially the section II. Current-day leveling problems, that will explain you why the differences between your calibrated speakers (If you have done it) and itunes or youtube as you describe.

There is not magic solution, I have calibrated my speakers and then I use a Rotary volume attenuation control like
Where I have put labels for different outputs, like my DAW, youtube, itunes, etc... So I don't have to touch the lvl on the speakers and I can comeback fast to the standard calibration as showed in the K-System proposal.

Good luck
📝 Reply