Quantcast
Garage ceiling soundproofing ? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Garage ceiling soundproofing ?
Old 25th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Garage ceiling soundproofing ?

Im building a room in a room in an unfinished garage. My question is do i finish out the ceiling like normal with 2 layers of 5/8" drywall & gg or just build the false walls & ceiling without finnishing the ceiling or one layer of drywall? Im confused on this since everything ive seen you just put insulation in the walls & go on with the room in room!
Old 25th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Nobody?
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
what have you built or designed already?
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
What are you trying to accomplish?

Will the joists in your garage support 2 layers of 5/8? Here's a span table:
Ceiling Joists Span Table

What is the proposed finished floor to ceiling height?

Do you have building codes & inspections to deal with, and if so, what country are you in? If USA, knowing the state might help.
Old 26th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Gulfo, I have a wall built 5' in front of the garage door. Piper, Im trying to soundproof as much as possible, 'im not worried about support. (thanks for the link though) The ceiling height will be 7' feet maybe a bit more. Dont have to worry about inspections or code! My thing is getting the most isolation i can with the least cost/labor. I just dont want to do any steps that are redundant. Therefore should i skin the rafters? leave them open? My final room dimentions will be 7'X17'X13' if that matters. Thanks!
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
So since you know your existing joists will support your load, go ahead and put it up.

If you need to isolate bass, then you need resilient clips or the like. If it's only high freqs, then you just need mass.

7' is really low. Modern code requires higher ceilings so firemen can walk with o2 tanks and helmets. For audio it's low too. Reflections.
Old 26th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
resilient clips & room with in a room? Its a garage if it burns it burns , it would have to burn lightning fast for anyone not to get out!
Old 26th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
It's like 7' 9'' in the first place
Old 26th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I was thinking 5/8'' drywall on joists & then room within a room?
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
you might want to stop and breath for a moment. i'm pretty sure you do not understand the concepts so some reading up is advised. secondly, when you say you don't need to worry about permits or code, you are (or could end up) dead wrong. let's assume you've done all the engineering and design work already, could you explain how you will provide fresh air into the space?
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe mamma ➑️
resilient clips & room with in a room? Its a garage if it burns it burns , it would have to burn lightning fast for anyone not to get out!
These things don't have anything to do with fire. They are means to stop loud bass. The clips prevent the vibrations from being transferred into the structure. This is, assuming we want to keep sound in. If its keeping sound out then the biggest challenge might be passing trucks.
Old 26th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I shouldnt have replied last night was a little drunk whoops!I know resileint clips dont have anything to do with fire! Piper. I was attempting to reply to your resilient clips comment & fire comment separately. Im just gonna go with drywalling the ceiling i guess dont see any reason to do the clips & a Room in room. Thanks!
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Good luck with your project.

If you haven't done drywall before, it's a chore. I always pay someone else to hang and tape it, but I prepare the studs. Pull strings to make sure your joists and studs are level to within 1/16 inch or so. Fill low spots (adhesive vinyl tile works well) and shave down high spots. It's not that hard to level things out and it makes it look a lot nicer when it's done.

Doors are the weakest link, usually.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…