Quantcast
Eliminating Train Noise/ Vibration - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Eliminating Train Noise/ Vibration
Old 25th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Eliminating Train Noise/ Vibration

Hey there- this is my first post on these forums, I hope that I put this in the right place.

I just moved into a 1st floor/ basement duplex apartment in Brooklyn. We want to build a studio in our basement. The basement consists of one big room (17 1/2' by 13') and two bedrooms (which we'll be living in, but also using one as a mixing room and half of the other one as a vocal/horn booth).

Here lies the problem:
The subway runs on the same avenue that our building is on, so we can definitely hear and feel the train vibrations. The basement floor is made out of concrete. Our initial plan to kill some of the vibration/ noise was to lay an initial layer of OSB, some rubber joist isolators, the joists, another layer of OSB and carpeting.

I'm reaching out to you guys for advice. Is this a wild goose chase? Will I be able to remove this train noise/ vibration? Are there better ways to do this? What are the better ways?

We have a limited budget for the entire project (which is much bigger than just a recording studio), so I can't do any crazy expensive alternatives, but if anyone has better ideas it would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks!

Ivan
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
aside from the general isolation you need to protect your neighbors from whatever noise you will generate, the key would be doing a proper isolation job for the room which will have actual microphones with the goal of getting the train noise down to the lowest frequency possible so it can be filtered out without significant impact on the recording. the mix room shouldn't need as much - just enough to avoid the noise skewing your judgement.
so consider building a proper floating room for the live recording and using the damped membrane approach in the mix room.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…