Help with idea for a sound barrier.. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help with idea for a sound barrier..
Old 24th September 2012
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Help with idea for a sound barrier..

Hello gear sluts

I've been trying to devise ways to temporarily soundproof a garage door and I think I've got some sort of a plan. I want to try and drape MLV on nails and grommets but obviously MLV by itself will be too weak to withstand its own weight over time. So I looked into reinforced MLV which is way too expensive in my opinion. So, I figure, why not try and "reinforce it" myself?

My idea was to have 2 sheets of 4'x8' MLV, with some sort of frame between them keeping them intact. Does that seem feasible? And if so... what kind of material can I use to construct the frame? I would like it to be pliable, so some kind of plastic or rubber would be perfect. I've attached a crappy gliffy diagram of my idea.

Let me know if anyone has any ideas of what I can make the frame out of, and where I can procure the right materials..

Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Isolation requires mass. MLV is expensive for its mass. Drywall is considerabley cheaper.

Andre
Old 24th September 2012
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
That would be great.. But I need a way for me to temporarily soundproof the garage, which is tough with rigid materials like dry wall. If there could be a way for me to easily remove the walls when practice is over (like I could with grommeted MLV) then let me know!
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
maybe make a set of 2'w x 8'h (or whatever height) panels (which bolt together and to the wall) using 2x3 and drywall (somewhat like stage sets) with a heavy foam rubber seal all around.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…