Quantcast
DIY Sound Diffusers—Free Blueprints—Slim, Optimized DIY Diffuser Designs (+Fractals) - Page 30 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DIY Sound Diffusers—Free Blueprints—Slim, Optimized DIY Diffuser Designs (+Fractals)
Old 23rd June 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ludovichdb ➡️
Hi
I would like to build the diffuser too, can I ask you the blueprints too ?

My mail : [email protected]

Thanks,
Ludo
Hey Ludo, Sry formation The delay, email sent
Old 23rd June 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow House ➡️
Hey Ludo, Sry formation The delay, email sent
Hi !
No problems !
Thank you !
Old 4th July 2020
Gear Head

Hate to be that guy, but the Arqen mailing list is inactive, could anyone send the blueprint to me? Please PM me and I'll send my email. This would be a tremendous help, I have some 1k-4k action I need to work on in my mix room, and my wood shop is finally equipped to make these.
Old 7th July 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Here is the link:
http://arqen.com/downloads/acoustics...up&omhide=true

Just give them some recognition and follow them on twitter / facebook.
Old 19th July 2020
Here for the gear

Blueprints

Hi Tim. Do you still have those blueprints of acoustic diffusers to download?
Cheers
Memo
Old 15th August 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Dear Sir.
I cant download the blueprints for diy sound diffuser.
Can you please send me the blueprints.
I will be deeply obliged.
My e-mail is: [email protected]
Thank you very much.
Chris
Old 21st September 2020
Here for the gear

Quick question- Is it worth it and effective to use only two of these spaced apart?

I don't have the wall space for three or five of them across the wall.
Thanks for any info.
Old 2nd October 2020
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
As they say, pics or it didn’t happen, built AL1f 3 AL-1F with fractals in a 5 period array for the back wall, three period Arrays near the back on the side walls. Also built a mini(High Freq) AL-1F fractal in a 7 period modulated array for front wall. This room will be a combo live/control room. I believe I may be the first to build a 3rd order fractal that was spoken about in the beginning of the thread, could of missed it tho, anyone else build a third order fractal, pony up some pics! I’m trying to upload some of my own but can’t figure out how to do it :/ I’ll keep trying

Decided to finish the diffusers witha two tone array, alternating off white and light gray, and topping that off with an enamel clear coat.
Can’t wait to put up the walls so I put everything in and start recording!
Old 3rd October 2020
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Got it! Here are the pics
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Sound Diffusers—Free Blueprints—Slim, Optimized DIY Diffuser Designs (+Fractals)-19a5853a-0f9c-43be-929e-2e86efa2c022.jpg   DIY Sound Diffusers—Free Blueprints—Slim, Optimized DIY Diffuser Designs (+Fractals)-c8decd92-34a0-4b8b-b03d-77dc1dd78b00.jpg   DIY Sound Diffusers—Free Blueprints—Slim, Optimized DIY Diffuser Designs (+Fractals)-f7dfcb58-7216-46fd-b184-216d1f37a312.jpg   DIY Sound Diffusers—Free Blueprints—Slim, Optimized DIY Diffuser Designs (+Fractals)-0a01a113-2548-4f13-b240-ea9695d50167.jpg  
Old 3rd October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for snowflakes

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Here are the pics

Nice work!
Old 4th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thank you!
Old 15th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
I am going to build these too and your two tone look is awesome.

How many do I need to do in a 9' space?

Has anyone made any kind of top to cover the build edges?
Old 3rd December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arqen ➡️
Nolan, I've been away for a few days but what a pleasant surprise! Fantastic that you've tested out various versions, and I agree that this one looks like a nice option.

As for the deep diffuser, I think a safe minimum listening distance would be about 5 meters. For QRDs it's often recommended that the minimum listening distance be three times the longest wavelength diffused. wavelength = velocity/freq, where velocty = 344 m/s. So if we were to say 200 Hz is the lowest frequency diffused, going by this guideline you'd want to be seated 5.16 m away .... And if it's 250 Hz, you'd want to be seated 4.13m away.

Of course that rule is not black and white. For example, some diffusers scatter energy in all directions except that of the listening position, in which case they can be used at a closer distance. I believe the RPG skyline has this trait. So the minimum distance depends on the low frequency polar response of this particular diffuser, and if this diffuser tends to scatter low frequencies away from the listener, you might be okay seated as close as 3.5 meters (which is just over twice the wavelength of a 200 Hz sound wave), provided that you don't care about hearing the low frequency diffusion. Bear in mind that I'm just using intuition here, so you should take this with a grain of salt.

While shallower diffusers sacrifice low frequency diffusion, they allow you to sit closer without experiencing artifacts. And in that sense, I think the second diffuser you posted provides a nice tradeoff.
Hey Tim, have been reading through this thread!

In regards to the "safe distance" from listening position to the QRD diffuser(s), I've came across this website which have provided sweet spot & min distances for folded well QRD, and wanted to see what your thoughts are on their recommendations.

cite : https://dngmns.home.xs4all.nl/fwd_uk.html & https://dngmns.home.xs4all.nl/fwd_uk.html#

Many Thanks !
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Sound Diffusers—Free Blueprints—Slim, Optimized DIY Diffuser Designs (+Fractals)-screen-shot-2020-12-03-10.18.50-pm.jpg  
Old 6th December 2020
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
3, 5 or 7

Question about diffusion on front wall of two channel listening room . . .

I have a very narrow front wall, 11ft, on which my speakers are located. I’m hoping to enlarge the depth and width of my sound stage.

I am hoping diffusion will be a good start but I’m not sure about the width of the build. Is a 5 panel Leanfuser enough ? Is a 7 panel too much ? Do I want a 4 ft or 6 ft tall build ?

Thank you in advance.

Edit .... I have LF treatment in room currently
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Sound Diffusers—Free Blueprints—Slim, Optimized DIY Diffuser Designs (+Fractals)-6e8d5a95-6d9f-460f-ba62-2857a15b7062.jpg  

Last edited by HIFI1959; 6th December 2020 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: Additionally
Old 6th December 2020 | Show parent
Old 6th January 2021
Here for the gear

Hello, can someone send me blueprints at: [email protected], I will appreciate it very much, I've downloaded them years ago, but I lost them, don't even know how and when...
Old 10th February 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I don't know if this is still being looked at by OP, but I love this work and am building these strictly for my listening pleasure...not a control room or recording or anything...

Anyways, found the designs and I have a bunch of 130 year old lumber from my front porch that each board happens to be roughly 20mm thick (I will plane it to get them perfect...

Anyways long story short due to the math and the way these fit together I can potentially create an air gap next to the middle well behind the 1st board...or I can eliminate that air gap, but then have an air gap behind the 40mm...panel...hard to describe with words, but I can take pics if anyone is out there interested in this...

I am curious if leaving the middle well open to its sides would increase resonance at all, or potentially grab some lower frequencies or if it breaks the optimization because now the middle well would drop to 20mm instead of 30mm...

I have enough material to test both...but was wondering if anyone with the right tools to math it would be able to help me so I dont waste time.

Thanks for this study and for your openness...its been so much fun to learn about acoustics and signal processing...absolutely fascinating stuff and I am enjoying my improving listening experience.
Old 12th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I'm not exactly sure what you mean when talking about an air gap, nor am I a whiz at any of the math stuff. but I do know a lot of crazy math and careful work went into these measurements and any variance in those numbers will change the effectiveness in unknowable ways. Seeing how the current design is literally one in a couple million, chances are those ways will probably not be for the better. I would suggest building them as close to original spec as possible for the most guaranteed result, but if you have time and material to make both I'd love to hear about your findings!
Old 13th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hi, if you dig back on this thread, you will find me asking the OP if it was a decent idea to make the design with complete open air between wells. Not quite what you are asking, but maybe close enough to be comparable.

So what you see is all the wells made of strips of lumber (44mm x 44mm in my case) simply secured at the top and bottom to the frame. Not one well touches the other - fully open in between each well! Then, I stuffed the whole area behind the wells with acoustic blanket to reduce any resonance from the slats and to double up as a mid/high absorber behind the slats.

And then still, behind the 'backboard' is a 200mm deep air cavity sealed with rigid rockwool sitting in the middle of said sealed air cavity. This latter bit is to provide a bit of bass trapping. The OP gave me a nod of approval on the idea but with the idea that this will help but it would be a proper deviation from the performance of the original concept and not easily measurable other than subjective listening. I did this for my front studio wall while I have the 'regular type of design (fully solid btw) on the back wall. Sounds to me like you can play around and improve things but I would watch out for any timber that can vibrate freely enough to possibly cause unwanted resonances being generated back into the room.
Old 28th February 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hey, I followed your replies on this thread for awhile, nice work. How did you do the milling? Router table and dado type cuts or table saw? Or cnc lol?
Old 1st March 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thanks! I think did it all on a table saw with a dado blade to get the right thickness of cuts. It wasn’t too painful, but very tedious! Anything beats building a skyline tho! Good luck
Old 19th March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Does anyone has these blueprints to share? I can't get it to download from the website

http://arqen.com/sound-diffusers/
Old 24th March 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hello guys, I'm looking to build this diffuser, does anyone are trying to do the 3 modules design with the 8cm as described here: http://arqen.com/sound-diffusers/faq/#modulations
Does anyone can tell what should be the safe distance with this configuration please.
Thank you so much.
Old 8th April 2021 | Show parent
JDO
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL ➡️
A room that small i would not use diffusion but braodband absorbers.
https://www.primacoustic.com/broadway-panels/
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsart ➡️
Thanks for responding Ariel. I appreciate your input. I am checking the absorbers. Just hoping for more WAF look. The main objective is remedying the boomy bass for now. Other issues will come I feel sure. You think these panels will correct this. And, can these be constructed as a DIY project? Thanks. Robert
Some well-respected acousticians on related threads here have recommended a significant amount of diffusion in rooms smaller than this, and given that it's a LISTENING room, front- and back-wall (and ceiling) diffusion could prove excellent... Of course low-end management is usually first, and that usually necessitates some absorption, but as long as the listening position is far enough from the diffusers for the diffusers to be effective (which has to do with distance as related to lowest frequency of diffusion, because of wavelength), diffusion could be quite beneficial. We don't need a 40x40 ft room to incorporate diffusion!
Old 8th April 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDO ➡️
Some well-respected acousticians on related threads here have recommended a significant amount of diffusion in rooms smaller than this, and given that it's a LISTENING room, front- and back-wall (and ceiling) diffusion could prove excellent... Of course low-end management is usually first, and that usually necessitates some absorption, but as long as the listening position is far enough from the diffusers for the diffusers to be effective (which has to do with distance as related to lowest frequency of diffusion, because of wavelength), diffusion could be quite beneficial. We don't need a 40x40 ft room to incorporate diffusion!
JDO, I have come to terms with the acoustical remedies and that is none. Nothing seems to meet the WAF, but other changes seemed to fit the Bill. A rug...granite, roller bearings and or roller pads under the speakers and cable management. Oh and, of course, speaker placement. The changes were dramatic and I am happy...for now. Upgraded the Node2 for the 2i since most of my music is Tidal/Qobuz. Thanks for your input.
Old 27th April 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Hello

I've seen some inspiring diffuser builds on this thread and I'm very keen to build a number of diffusers panels myself.

Would someone be kind and please send me the DIY Diffuser Blueprints. I have tried the portal and emailed Tim at [email protected] but no reply received.

Please send blueprints to [email protected]

Appreciate assistance

Regards
John
Old 3rd May 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John White ➡️
Fantastic information and free is my favorite price.

Thank You,
Hey John, do you still have the blueprints to this? I've been trying to download the blueprints but have had no luck, and can't reach them.
Old 18th June 2021
Here for the gear

I too would love to get the blueprints! [email protected]
Old 7th July 2021
Here for the gear

Hi,

Could someone send me the blueprints as well to [email protected]
Thank you very much.
Old 21st July 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Hi!

I was also trying to download the plans from the website, but didn`t succeed. Can someone please send me the plans to [email protected]?

Thank you very much and best regards!
📝 Reply