Quantcast
DIY Sound Diffusers—Free Blueprints—Slim, Optimized DIY Diffuser Designs (+Fractals) - Page 21 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DIY Sound Diffusers—Free Blueprints—Slim, Optimized DIY Diffuser Designs (+Fractals)
Old 18th May 2015 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypocrita_20XX ➡️
Hello and good morning everyone!

First off, I just want to offer a massive "thank you" for the DIY diffuser designs.
Secondly, I was just wondering if anyone could assist me a bit in my designing of appropriate sound treatment.

This is currently what I've come up with: a checkerboard pattern with broadband sound absorption and diffusers intermingled. As an aside, any measurements are open to interpretation, and are not exact.
http://s28.postimg.org/ege1tl9wt/aco...tment_plan.png

My thinking is that I can sort of tame the unwanted reflects in my room while, at the same time, adding in more pleasant ambiance. I've made designs before that were inefficient, however, hence why I'm asking for some assistance (this is completely new territory for me.)

Thanks for your time and have a great day!
Welcome to the forum!

A hybrid blend of absorption / diffusion can be a good choice at first reflection points (typically in listening rooms and home theaters), but it's hard to predict how something will perform just by looking at it.

However, I do see some issues. Your left and right panels have opposite patterns. They should actually have identical patters, because left-right symmetry is critical for sidewall reflection point treatment.

Also, your checkerboard pattern would place diffusers in a periodic arrangement, which reduces their performance, causing lobing (peaks and dips in the scattered response, where you actually want even scattering with respect to space and time).

First reflection points have a huge influence on your sound, so it's important to choose a treatment that provides enough attenuation, with minimal coloration. I don't think the periodic repetitions of diffuser-absorber-diffuser-absorber will produce well balanced sidewall reflections, but a binary amplitude diffuser or a fractal diffuser could be a good choice, depending on how far you are from your first reflection points, what type of room this is, and what your goals are for it.

What are you using this room for?

Cheers,
Tim
Old 18th May 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the welcome, and your time in responding!

After totaling up costs of materials, I've found I don't have nearly enough to do the kind of design I originally posted here (I'm only working with approximately $120 right now.) As for what I'll be using this room for, it will vary between mixing, mastering, recording, and general listening (I don't have the luxury of separate rooms at this point.) What it looks like I can do, if I can get fabric cheap enough, is ten general purpose broadband absorption panels placed in corners and along the walls around the room, using 3 inch thick rockwool spaced about 4 inches from the walls/corners. I'm still ironing out details and would like to somehow manage superchunk bass traps in the corners to the left and right of my monitors, but am unsure if my small budget will allow it. Just from listening to the room, I can tell bass is a real problem.
I've heard of something called a 1D diffuser. To clarify, is that basically a sheet of plywood angled a certain way? I'm thinking that I would benefit from at least one of those, if I can manage it, on the wall opposite of my listening position.

Right now, this is the general layout I'm thinking of going with.
http://s11.postimg.org/m3v15kiir/aco..._room_plan.png
The black box being the desk, I forgot to include that in the legend.

As an aside, concerning fabric, would cheap bed sheets with a low thread count work for covering up the rockwool?

Thanks for your time!
Old 20th May 2015 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks for the welcome, and your time in responding!

After totaling up costs of materials, I've found I don't have nearly enough to do the kind of design I originally posted here (I'm only working with approximately $120 right now.) As for what I'll be using this room for, it will vary between mixing, mastering, recording, and general listening (I don't have the luxury of separate rooms at this point.) What it looks like I can do, if I can get fabric cheap enough, is ten general purpose broadband absorption panels placed in corners and along the walls around the room, using 3 inch thick rockwool spaced about 4 inches from the walls/corners. I'm still ironing out details and would like to somehow manage superchunk bass traps in the corners to the left and right of my monitors, but am unsure if my small budget will allow it. Just from listening to the room, I can tell bass is a real problem.
I've heard of something called a 1D diffuser. To clarify, is that basically a sheet of plywood angled a certain way? I'm thinking that I would benefit from at least one of those, if I can manage it, on the wall opposite of my listening position.

Right now, this is the general layout I'm thinking of going with.
http://s11.postimg.org/m3v15kiir/aco..._room_plan.png
The black box being the desk, I forgot to include that in the legend.

As an aside, concerning fabric, would cheap bed sheets with a low thread count work for covering up the rockwool?

Thanks for your time!
That looks like a reasonable layout, although you may not need absorption on the front wall to the left and right of your desk.

The term 1D diffuser is counterintuitive! It means a diffuser that scatters sound in one plane (e.g., the left and right in the horizontal plane, but not up and down). By that definition my Leanfuser and Leanfractal designs are 1D diffusers. Most QRD diffusers are also 1D diffusers.

Skyline style diffusers are 2D diffusers, because they scatter sound in two planes (the horizontal and vertical planes).

For the rear wall you could use either type, but I usually go with 1D diffusers as they keep most of the scattered energy in the plane of listening. On the ceiling 2D diffusers are typically preferred over 1D.

I suggest you use acoustically transparent fabric like Guilford of Maine. Other fabrics will likely apply a coloration to your sound.

Old 20th May 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Good morning!

Ah, I see what you mean. I may not be able to do diffusion just yet, then!
It turns out I had even less than I thought I would have: only about $90. Some of my budget had to go towards other, shall we say more necessary things, like gas. What I've ended up going for are bass traps initially in the corners directly left and right of my desk, with the intention of getting the broadband absorption panels sometime in the future when I have more funds. I suppose I'll have to go super cheap concerning those for now and just nail some blankets to the walls.
I'm still looking to get some fabric, though, so for now I'll probably have to settle for bed sheets that I have laying around (with having pets, there has to be something on the traps to keep them out of the rockwool.) After getting the building materials and insulation, my budget for this happens to be non-existent, unfortunately. Looking at that Guilford of Maine fabric, I'm not convinced I can afford that, to be honest. Do you happen to know or have a rough idea as to how bad the coloration would be with, say, burlap?

Thanks so much for your time!
Old 21st May 2015 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Good morning!

Ah, I see what you mean. I may not be able to do diffusion just yet, then!
It turns out I had even less than I thought I would have: only about $90. Some of my budget had to go towards other, shall we say more necessary things, like gas. What I've ended up going for are bass traps initially in the corners directly left and right of my desk, with the intention of getting the broadband absorption panels sometime in the future when I have more funds. I suppose I'll have to go super cheap concerning those for now and just nail some blankets to the walls.
I'm still looking to get some fabric, though, so for now I'll probably have to settle for bed sheets that I have laying around (with having pets, there has to be something on the traps to keep them out of the rockwool.) After getting the building materials and insulation, my budget for this happens to be non-existent, unfortunately. Looking at that Guilford of Maine fabric, I'm not convinced I can afford that, to be honest. Do you happen to know or have a rough idea as to how bad the coloration would be with, say, burlap?

Thanks so much for your time!
If you only have $90, start by adding broadband absorption at your first reflection points (instead of blankets). That will give you the most bang for your buck. Then, if you have money left over focus on bass trapping, which is of course very important but it requires a lot of material, so it will quickly suck up your funds.

I'm not sure how burlap would color the sound. If you can find absorption coefficients for it that would provide insight. I expect it would be partially reflective at higher frequencies, which could be useful if you need to retain high frequency energy in your room while absorbing lows and mids (this is a common goal, especially in carpeted rooms).

Last edited by Arqen; 21st May 2015 at 03:31 AM..
Old 21st May 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Good morning!

Unfortunately, I've already got all the building materials for bass traps. I'm not sure I could salvage it and make it into broadband absorption panels. By that I mean that I already have lumber cut specifically for the bass trap design I have in mind. The good news is that the insulation I have will be sufficient to take care of all current and future acoustic treatment, so that's an investment I won't have to make again. More good news is that I won't be doing any serious mixing/recording until the middle of next month, so hopefully I can get some more funds together and take care of those first reflection points before then.
You bring up another good point concerning high frequency energy retention, which is something I had briefly read over, but you mentioning carpeted rooms brought it back to my mind. That's definitely something I'll need for this room, as it is carpeted and, as I may have mentioned, I can't really change that due to being in an apartment.
Acoustic treatment is crazy intricate!

Oh, and to update things a bit, this is the current setup I'm looking at for the treatment.
http://s16.postimg.org/rjpm8axdx/aco..._room_plan.png

Basically instead of having smaller panels (which would have been about one foot in width) dotted about the place, I'm thinking of making wider, slightly larger panels in more strategic places (about two feet wide, six feet tall, four of which would be the absorbing material.) In case you're curious as to why the black outline doesn't connect on the bottom side, that's because my room happens to be open on that side, and leads to the kitchen/dining area, of which the back wall there is roughly ten feet away from the perimeter of the studio room.
That brings up a question: should I worry about treating that wall in the kitchen/dining area? I may or may not make four bass traps total, so I'm wondering if I will actually have any use for the fourth, or if it will just be a "save it for later" sort of thing.

Thanks for all the input. =-)
Old 30th May 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Hello, Tim!

Thank you so much for sharing the blueprint for the "leanfuser" panels!

I really would like to build some of these and try them in my room on the side walls in the back 1/2 of the room for sort of a live end/dead end approach.

I wanted to ask if you have the time and don't mind looking at these pics of my room? ...would it be OK to add some Leanfusers on the side walls in the back 1/2 of the room? Maybe just one 4' long panel one each wall?

I have already put 4" of 703 in 3 out of 4 corners (one has the door so I can't do that corner) and some on the ceiling/wall corners. I can't do the ceiling/wall corners on the rear wall due to the fire sprinkler and AC vent. I have 2" diffusers on the side walls and 3" on the rear wall above the quadratic diffuser.

I am not finished w/the rear wall BTW. Going to make some more absorbers and get an armchair back there.

Thank you, Tim!!!
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Sound Diffusers—Free Blueprints—Slim, Optimized DIY Diffuser Designs (+Fractals)-img_1121.jpg   DIY Sound Diffusers—Free Blueprints—Slim, Optimized DIY Diffuser Designs (+Fractals)-img_1122.jpg   DIY Sound Diffusers—Free Blueprints—Slim, Optimized DIY Diffuser Designs (+Fractals)-img_1123.jpg   DIY Sound Diffusers—Free Blueprints—Slim, Optimized DIY Diffuser Designs (+Fractals)-img_1124.jpg  
Old 1st June 2015 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Good morning!

Unfortunately, I've already got all the building materials for bass traps. I'm not sure I could salvage it and make it into broadband absorption panels. By that I mean that I already have lumber cut specifically for the bass trap design I have in mind. The good news is that the insulation I have will be sufficient to take care of all current and future acoustic treatment, so that's an investment I won't have to make again. More good news is that I won't be doing any serious mixing/recording until the middle of next month, so hopefully I can get some more funds together and take care of those first reflection points before then.
You bring up another good point concerning high frequency energy retention, which is something I had briefly read over, but you mentioning carpeted rooms brought it back to my mind. That's definitely something I'll need for this room, as it is carpeted and, as I may have mentioned, I can't really change that due to being in an apartment.
Acoustic treatment is crazy intricate!

Oh, and to update things a bit, this is the current setup I'm looking at for the treatment.
http://s16.postimg.org/rjpm8axdx/aco..._room_plan.png

Basically instead of having smaller panels (which would have been about one foot in width) dotted about the place, I'm thinking of making wider, slightly larger panels in more strategic places (about two feet wide, six feet tall, four of which would be the absorbing material.) In case you're curious as to why the black outline doesn't connect on the bottom side, that's because my room happens to be open on that side, and leads to the kitchen/dining area, of which the back wall there is roughly ten feet away from the perimeter of the studio room.
That brings up a question: should I worry about treating that wall in the kitchen/dining area? I may or may not make four bass traps total, so I'm wondering if I will actually have any use for the fourth, or if it will just be a "save it for later" sort of thing.

Thanks for all the input. =-)
Don't worry about treating the kitchen wall, but I would consider shifting the listening position either 45 or 90 degrees so that you're facing the top left corner or the top wall (as seen in the drawing). This way you can have left-right sidewall symmetry, instead of having one sidewall open.

Of course, usability and comfort is also important. Many people don't like working with their back to an opening, so go with whatever setup is most comfortable. If it's important to you for the kitchen to be on your left hand side, then that will impact your decision.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk sanchez ➡️
Hello, Tim!

Thank you so much for sharing the blueprint for the "leanfuser" panels!

I really would like to build some of these and try them in my room on the side walls in the back 1/2 of the room for sort of a live end/dead end approach.

I wanted to ask if you have the time and don't mind looking at these pics of my room? ...would it be OK to add some Leanfusers on the side walls in the back 1/2 of the room? Maybe just one 4' long panel one each wall?

I have already put 4" of 703 in 3 out of 4 corners (one has the door so I can't do that corner) and some on the ceiling/wall corners. I can't do the ceiling/wall corners on the rear wall due to the fire sprinkler and AC vent. I have 2" diffusers on the side walls and 3" on the rear wall above the quadratic diffuser.

I am not finished w/the rear wall BTW. Going to make some more absorbers and get an armchair back there.

Thank you, Tim!!!
Yes, you can put them there. Of course, your rear wall should be a higher priority, as it looks like you have untreated first reflection points there.

Cheers,
Tim
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arqen ➡️
Yes, you can put them there. Of course, your rear wall should be a higher priority, as it looks like you have untreated first reflection points there.

Cheers,
Tim
Thank you so much for the kind response, Tim. Getting any sort of tips from somebody w/your knowledge is like gold to me.

Glad to hear I can try some one those side walls in the rear of the room!

After reading your comments I made a few changes to the rear wall. I lowered things to be centered around the height of the monitors more.

Here is one more pic of the rear wall now w/changes...any better?

Headed to the store to get Lumber in the morning and starting a pair of Leanfusers!

I won't dominate this thread or keep asking a zillion question just about me/my place ~ but I WILL post some pics once I build them and get them up Appreciate the wonderful help. Cant wait to try these!

PS...I'd do the Leanfuser array on the back wall but there is only enough for 3 wide, it'd have to cover/block the light switches and ac outlet in order to be centered...and the rear wall is only 7 to 8' from where I sit.

PPS...there is going to be a chair or loveseat under that BBC diffuser too.

Great thread!
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Sound Diffusers—Free Blueprints—Slim, Optimized DIY Diffuser Designs (+Fractals)-img_1130.jpg  
Old 1st June 2015
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Hey guys , enjoying the thread and thanks for the free info and DIY plans ! a few had some questions about diffusion set and distance of mics and instruments .Even though the general thought is to be at least 6 feet away take a listen to Ethan Winers video demonstrating various absorption/diffusion with a mic right up at the diffusor and instrument about a foot away . Good diffusion still makes the source sound open . I have recorded drums in a low room where the OH's were about 1 foot away from a flat drywall ceiling and it sounded fine . So with diffusion It would sound even better . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nzmBhkR4JQ the comparison is around 7 min mark .
Old 2nd June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
...here is the first of two Leanfusers hanging and awaiting stain.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Sound Diffusers—Free Blueprints—Slim, Optimized DIY Diffuser Designs (+Fractals)-stapleton-leanfuser.jpg  
Old 3rd June 2015 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
...here is the first of two Leanfusers hanging and awaiting stain.
Looks good. I'm a fan of building these out of plywood as you can get a nice natural look for not much money.

FYI, you do have enough space behind you. In most people's experience it is safe to use the diffusers closer than 3 times the longest wavelength diffused (but for professional critical listening applications I still recommend this guideline).

For other applications you're probably safe at 1.5 times longest wavelength diffused. Once you get much closer than that we enter a zone that's hard to predict, and audible artifacts become increasingly likely.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Specular reflection vs diffusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL ➡️
Hey guys , enjoying the thread and thanks for the free info and DIY plans ! a few had some questions about diffusion set and distance of mics and instruments .Even though the general thought is to be at least 6 feet away take a listen to Ethan Winers video demonstrating various absorption/diffusion with a mic right up at the diffusor and instrument about a foot away . Good diffusion still makes the source sound open . I have recorded drums in a low room where the OH's were about 1 foot away from a flat drywall ceiling and it sounded fine . So with diffusion It would sound even better . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nzmBhkR4JQ the comparison is around 7 min mark .
Thanks for your feedback Arial. Ethan's videos are very useful and I frequently refer people to them.

I know people have listened to these diffusers up close and not noticed any anomalies, but we can't guarantee their performance up close.

Of course, you're right that they should usually be better than a bare wall, except in cases where you want the spectacular reflection of a bare wall. Specular reflection is of course desirable when we want to communicate information about the room size and shape, and the location of the microphone and sound source relative to surfaces.

Last edited by Arqen; 3rd June 2015 at 04:12 PM..
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arqen ➡️
Looks good. I'm a fan of building these out of plywood as you can get a nice natural look for not much money.

FYI, you do have enough space behind you. In most people's experience it is safe to use the diffusers closer than 3 times the longest wavelength diffused (but for professional critical listening applications I still recommend this guideline).

For other applications you're probably safe at 1.5 times longest wavelength diffused. Once you get much closer than that we enter a zone that's hard to predict, and audible artifacts become increasingly likely.
Thanks again, Tim! Appreciate the additional info!!!

This is for professional critical listening though ~ if professional mixing and mastering qualifies as such.

I can hear a difference ~ I hung both of them (I'll stain them soon) on the side walls (for now).

Is it OK to do a pair side by side? I know you usually suggest 5/7 (or 3) units wide. My idea was to add one more on each side wall so I have a pair on each side wall in the rear 40% of the room.

Thanks again for the free blueprints and help! This is amazing.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
This is for professional critical listening though ~ if professional mixing and mastering qualifies as such.

I can hear a difference ~ I hung both of them (I'll stain them soon) on the side walls (for now).

Is it OK to do a pair side by side? I know you usually suggest 5/7 (or 3) units wide. My idea was to add one more on each side wall so I have a pair on each side wall in the rear 40% of the room.

Thanks again for the free blueprints and help! This is amazing.
Happy to help! Yes, I mean accurate monitoring, mixing, mastering, listening for alien signals, etc.

It should be fine to put two panels side-by-side. We've not tested that but I did originally optimize them in an array of 5 side-by-side to make sure it has a reasonably even response even when arranged periodically.

The basic panel is designed to be efficient and robust, so it works in a wide variety of configurations. The high performance configurations are of course the deeper arrays with multiple panels at different depths, like this:

Last edited by Arqen; 3rd June 2015 at 09:08 PM..
Old 4th June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Depth for 4 modules array

Thanks for the Blueprints¡¡¡
The space from my rear wall is 1,80 meters so 5 modules x 42 cm is 2,1 meters. I want to work a 4 A1-LF array with the profiled modulation 1. Do you can sugest a depth for the 4 modules. I think (0,5,5,0)????
Thanks¡¡¡¡
Old 10th June 2015 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lectric ➡️
Thanks for the Blueprints¡¡¡
The space from my rear wall is 1,80 meters so 5 modules x 42 cm is 2,1 meters. I want to work a 4 A1-LF array with the profiled modulation 1. Do you can sugest a depth for the 4 modules. I think (0,5,5,0)????
Thanks¡¡¡¡
Hi Lectric. Glad you like them!

See my notes here regarding 4 diffuser panels.

We've not tested arrays of 4 panels, so I suggest you use AFMG Reflex to test a few configurations, starting with the modulation [0, 5, 6, 0] cm.
Old 11th June 2015
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
3 A1-LF modules

Coming back to the topic of 3 A1-LF modules. The consensus at the moment seems to be to offset the middle module by 8 cm (making it taller than the sides).
I've experimented with some other modifications of the middle module in AFMG Reflex. The results seem interesting. What do you think, guys, especially about versions 5 and 6? The spatial response looks a bit funkier, but diffusion seems to get better and more even across the frequency spectrum.

1. Middle module raised by 8 cm (current consensus configuration):

2. The sides of the middle panel raised by 2 cm to 10 cm.

3. The middle part of the middle panel raised by 3 cm to 14 cm.

4. The middle part of the middle panel raised by 4 cm to 15 cm.

5. Both sides raised to 10 cm and middle to 14 cm.

6. Both sides raised to 10 cm and middle to 15 cm.

Last edited by Tadragh1; 11th June 2015 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: Image links corrected
Old 17th June 2015 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Any comments on my charts for 3 diffusers? Do you think it would be worth to modify the middle panel as shown?
Old 20th June 2015 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadragh1 ➡️
Coming back to the topic of 3 A1-LF modules. The consensus at the moment seems to be to offset the middle module by 8 cm (making it taller than the sides).
I've experimented with some other modifications of the middle module in AFMG Reflex. The results seem interesting. What do you think, guys, especially about versions 5 and 6? The spatial response looks a bit funkier, but diffusion seems to get better and more even across the frequency spectrum.

1. Middle module raised by 8 cm (current consensus configuration):

2. The sides of the middle panel raised by 2 cm to 10 cm.

3. The middle part of the middle panel raised by 3 cm to 14 cm.

4. The middle part of the middle panel raised by 4 cm to 15 cm.

5. Both sides raised to 10 cm and middle to 14 cm.

6. Both sides raised to 10 cm and middle to 15 cm.

Nice work and sorry for the delay. It's been a crazy week of travelling.

5 and 6 look like good configurations. They perform better than the 3 module configuration using stock panels, which makes sense because they have extra depth. Also, the overall shape more closely resembles a convex curve.

For any given diffuser configuration it's worth experimenting because there is often something better out there waiting to be discovered.

In general you would expect a single optimized 21 well diffuser to outperform 3 modules of a 7 well diffuser. The 7 well design has the advantage of simplicity, modularity and flexibility, so it can be configured in a variety of ways. But if we are designing for a specific installation and all we care about is performance, I'd expect a larger, custom optimized or high prime number diffuser to be the top performer.
Old 20th June 2015
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Arqen, thank you for your reply. I hope this is useful for others as well. I'll get to modifying my middle panel then.
Old 12th July 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
THanks for these fantastic blueprints, I am jotting down materials as i type to go shopping tomorrow. I just have one question. Would it be better to group these modules in groups of two and hang them in different places of my tracking room or put them all together? I am tracking acoustic guitars in a rectangular room of about 16 X 11ft.

thanks again!
Old 14th July 2015 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by attaboy_jhb ➡️
THanks for these fantastic blueprints, I am jotting down materials as i type to go shopping tomorrow. I just have one question. Would it be better to group these modules in groups of two and hang them in different places of my tracking room or put them all together? I am tracking acoustic guitars in a rectangular room of about 16 X 11ft.

thanks again!
Glad you're planning to build them! It's best to mount them as a group with varying panel depth, using one of these profiled modulations.

At the above link I've given suggestions for mounting 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 11 or 15 panels in an array. The 3, 5 and 7 panel arrays have been performance tested using AFMG Reflex, and the 11 and 15 panel configurations are made of combinations of these performance-tested arrays.

You could mount them as groups of two in various places around the room, but in critical places like the rear wall you'll get better performance if you arrange them to form a large array with varying depth. That way the modules combine to form one larger, deeper diffuser.

Hope this helps!

-Tim
Old 27th July 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hey Tim,

Thanks for providing these killer designs!

I'm in the process of deciding how to treat the rear wall of my control room/recording space. I've attached a 3D image of the wall in question, including the location of the door and two air ducts (that are currently unboxed, despite what the picture suggests)

I'd love to know what you'd suggest I do in terms of diffusion on the rear wall, and how I might use your designs to do it. I have access to plenty of woodwork/furniture making tools/saws/etc, and I'm keen to get the best possible result so I don't mind building a more intricate design if need be.

Some details about the room:

-Rear wall is 4.8 metres (16 ft), and ceiling height is standard 2.4m (8 ft)

-Length of the room is 5.3 metres (17.5 ft). I can easily get 3 - 4 metres between me and the rear wall as my speakers are pretty much hard up against the front wall with absorption directly behind them to handle SBIR. I have a chunky ceiling cloud and side wall panels to handle early reflections in the listening position also.

-Bass trapping is a work in progress but I'll definitely install some bass traps on the rear wall also, in the wall/wall corners and potentially below (and maybe even above) the diffusers in the wall/ceiling corners along the length of the wall also.

-The room is basically a control room. Some tracking will be done in here too (even some drums fairly close to the rear wall), but I'm mostly concerned with setting it up as a mixing/control room.

Some issues with the rear wall!:

-There's a door on it :-). This can't be moved, and I'm about to replace it with a solid core door that will probably open OUT into the hallway, rather than into the room like it currently does. This would mean I could mount some diffusers on the door itself.

-There's ducting going from the ceiling space into the floor below my studio. So ideally I'd have a panel which can be built out 100mm (4 inches) from the wall at this point in the room (approximately the centre of the back wall) which has a gap behind it to cover the ducting. The ducting itself is 150mm, but it can be squeezed up to 100mm without causing problems. This could be covered by a diffuser that's stepped out from other diffuser panels as part of a fractal modulation array, or it could be covered by a floor to ceiling bass trap that sits in the middle of two diffuser arrays.

Questions...

-Would you attempt a large modulation array (A1-Frac?) across most of the back wall that covers both the door as well as the ducting, just leaving some space in the wall/wall corners for bass traps? Or would you instead build two smaller arrays on either side of the wall, or something different again?

-Depending on the array you'd suggest, do you have specific sizes of board/spacing/etc that tend to work best? I'm in New Zealand so we're metric over here in terms of our standard board sizes (typically things like 3mm, 5mm, 9mm, 12mm, 18mm, etc). I could probably source any size if need be though.

-Can porous absorption be used behind some of the stepped diffusers in an array to achieve some bass trapping below the diffusion/scattering cut off points? Much like you see people build in behind the wells in 1D QRD's in order to get some bass trapping out of them.

-In terms of materials, is wood as good as anything else? It would definitely be the simplest for me to build it out of wood in one sense, but if the array gets quite large then things obviously get heavy quickly so I'm open to other options.

Thanks Tim!

Kris
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Sound Diffusers—Free Blueprints—Slim, Optimized DIY Diffuser Designs (+Fractals)-studio-rear-wall.png  
Old 27th July 2015 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisnz ➡️

Questions...

-Would you attempt a large modulation array (A1-Frac?) across most of the back wall that covers both the door as well as the ducting, just leaving some space in the wall/wall corners for bass traps? Or would you instead build two smaller arrays on either side of the wall, or something different again?

-Depending on the array you'd suggest, do you have specific sizes of board/spacing/etc that tend to work best? I'm in New Zealand so we're metric over here in terms of our standard board sizes (typically things like 3mm, 5mm, 9mm, 12mm, 18mm, etc). I could probably source any size if need be though.

-Can porous absorption be used behind some of the stepped diffusers in an array to achieve some bass trapping below the diffusion/scattering cut off points? Much like you see people build in behind the wells in 1D QRD's in order to get some bass trapping out of them.

-In terms of materials, is wood as good as anything else? It would definitely be the simplest for me to build it out of wood in one sense, but if the array gets quite large then things obviously get heavy quickly so I'm open to other options.

Thanks Tim!

Kris

Hi Kris,

Welcome to the forum! Here are my suggestions:

- Yes, I recommend A1-frac (aka the Leanfractal). I would try a large array if you can make it fit. Another option is to use absorption directly behind you (including over the door), and smaller arrays to the left and right. And another option is to use two larger identical arrays, with part of one array over the door. Whatever you do, strive for left-right symmetry.

- Use 12 mm board as the basic unit of depth.

- Yes, it's a good idea to use porous absorption behind the diffusers.

- I really suggest wood as a material. Bamboo would be great too if it grows near New Zealand. There are other materials you can build it from but as far as aesthetics and sustainability goes it's hard to beat local wood and bamboo.

If you go through with this build it would be great to see photos!
Old 6th September 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Smile

Hello Arqen and THANX for those blueprints
I'm about to start build Leanfractal (A1-Frac) optimized stepped diffuser like that.

And can't figure out what's the sizes of highest points as it's loox like it's not symmetrical please, guess ti is was used to reduce the effects of periodicity in the array
Old 6th September 2015 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_X ➡️
Hello Arqen and THANX for those blueprints
I'm about to start build Leanfractal (A1-Frac) optimized stepped diffuser like that.

And can't figure out what's the sizes of highest points as it's loox like it's not symmetrical please, guess ti is was used to reduce the effects of periodicity in the array
Hi Sonic_X,

That image is of B2-Frac, not A1-Frac. Information about the Leanfractal (A1-Frac) is sent via email because I don't want it to suffer the same fate as B2-Frac, which people have been mass producing out of polystyrene and selling on Ebay. One guy was also ripping off my website graphics on his sales page and I was tipped off that he was trying patent the diffuser designs for himself.

If you email me I'll give you the information to build the Leanfractal (email is my first name at my user name dot com (it's also on my website contact page)).

Cheers,

Tim
Old 6th September 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Mail sent, Thanx Tim
Old 7th September 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Another question if you don't mind Tim
My space is limited, behind my chair is only 2,26m till the back wall where I wanted to install Leanfractal. Is there any sense of using 3 module with profiled modulation or 5 module with profiled modulation is also safe to use?
📝 Reply