Quantcast
DIY Sound Diffusers—Free Blueprints—Slim, Optimized DIY Diffuser Designs (+Fractals) - Page 15 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DIY Sound Diffusers—Free Blueprints—Slim, Optimized DIY Diffuser Designs (+Fractals)
Old 11th April 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
We are building a Home Theater out of our 2 car garage and I have a question... Our second row is built on top of one of our Danley DTS-10 subs (6' deep x15' wide x 7' high). We are planning on mounting 2 Klipsch speakers on the rear wall and was wondering if it would be ok to make the whole rear wall out of diffusers and install the 2 rear channels flush on the wall surrounded by diffusers.
Old 12th April 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Surround sound diffuser application

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 ➡️
We are building a Home Theater out of our 2 car garage and I have a question... Our second row is built on top of one of our Danley DTS-10 subs (6' deep x15' wide x 7' high). We are planning on mounting 2 Klipsch speakers on the rear wall and was wondering if it would be ok to make the whole rear wall out of diffusers and install the 2 rear channels flush on the wall surrounded by diffusers.
This sounds like it will look majestic.

I don't think this will cause you any issues, provided there is some distance between the listeners and the back wall (in a critical listening environment I'd recommend over 10', but in a home theater I would not worry too much about distance).

The diffusers will interact primarily with the front speakers that are pointing at them. The speakers on the back wall will also interact with the diffusers, and if the diffusers stick way out from the wall they may slightly interphere with the radiation pattern. However, I would not worry about this because the back wall speakers are used for effects more than imaging.

Cheers,
Tim
Old 12th April 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arqen ➡️
This sounds like it will look majestic.

I don't think this will cause you any issues, provided there is some distance between the listeners and the back wall (in a critical listening environment I'd recommend over 10', but in a home theater I would not worry too much about distance).

The diffusers will interact primarily with the front speakers that are pointing at them. The speakers on the back wall will also interact with the diffusers, and if the diffusers stick way out from the wall they may slightly interphere with the radiation pattern. However, I would not worry about this because the back wall speakers are used for effects more than imaging.

Cheers,
Tim
Thanks Tim. The back row will only be 2' from the rear wall (by the time we put the speakers, and the diffusers it will be even closer), but the front row will be about 10', and that will be the best seats.
Old 16th April 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hello Tim, Hello All.

I've been Reading this whole thread and Reading all documentation on these diffusers and have a question for those that have build the fractal versión of the Leanfuser.

I ve seen back walls covered with series of the fractal diffuser and was wondering how did they hang them on the Wall.¿Where do u put the screws?

For example, on your webpage there is a picture of a diffuser built by Pablo Crespo where he used the profiled modulation 1 for 5 modules.

How are they mounted on the Wall? (specially the middles modules which are deeper), i need to put them in a slopped roof, so they have to be screwed.
Old 19th April 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Frame for mounting diffusers to wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by skainet ➡️
Hello Tim, Hello All.

I've been Reading this whole thread and Reading all documentation on these diffusers and have a question for those that have build the fractal versión of the Leanfuser.

I ve seen back walls covered with series of the fractal diffuser and was wondering how did they hang them on the Wall.¿Where do u put the screws?

For example, on your webpage there is a picture of a diffuser built by Pablo Crespo where he used the profiled modulation 1 for 5 modules.

How are they mounted on the Wall? (specially the middles modules which are deeper), i need to put them in a slopped roof, so they have to be screwed.
Hi Pablo,

I answered your question in a comment but I'll post it here for anyone else. I'm not sure how the other Pablo did it, but one way to do it is build a frame like I've crudely shown below where
  • || represents a vertical brace
  • pppp represents a piece of wood, plywood or mdf cut to the shape of the profiled modulation. Imagine you are looking straight down at the top of this piece of wood, so you can't see the details from this angle.
  • You can ignore the "....." horizontal parts in the drawing. That simply represents white space so just pretend those parts are invisible.

BOTTOM BRACES
The frame would need vertical braces at the wall surface, aligned with the wall studs. These braces would be used as anchor points to mount the frame to the wall (in the frame, these braces would also hold the bottom of the pppp cuts together).

TOP BRACES
The frame would also need a separate set of vertical braces at the surface where you will mount the diffuser panels (these braces would be connected to the top of the pppp cuts).

Here is a rough top view of the concept, where only the braces on the surface of the structure (top braces) are shown. As mentioned, there would be a separate set of braces at the base of the structure for attaching it to the wall studs.

pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp
||.........||.........||.........||.........||.........||

It may also be necessary to add some cross bracing for structural integrity.

The pppp profiled modulation pieces would define the shape of the modulation, while the || braces would be responsible for 4 things:

1) Holding the frame together.
2) Providing structural support for the mass of diffuser panels which will be mounted on the frame.
3) Providing anchor points to attach the frame to the wall.
4) Providing anchor points to attach the diffuser panels to the frame.

I would attach the frame to the wall, then attach the diffuser panels to the frame.

This is not easy to describe in a a forum , but does it make sense to you?

-Tim
Old 26th May 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Question for Tim

Hi Tim
Thanks for the blueprints, relatively easy to build and my trial of a 5 panel array has produced very positive results. One question if I may. If staggering a five panel A1LF array using a deep Fractal Modulation, presumably I would scale the placement of the panels by a factor of 5 to [0,25,30,25,0]? Also, would I need to put a further board between each panel, connecting the base of each panel so that there are no gaps? To pose the question differently, would I need to put a board of 25 cm in width between panels 1 and 2, and another of 5 cm between panels 2 and 3 (and so and so forth) for the [0,25,30,25,0]?
Thanks again

Shannon
Old 26th May 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodear ➡️
Hi Tim
Thanks for the blueprints, relatively easy to build and my trial of a 5 panel array has produced very positive results. One question if I may. If staggering a five panel A1LF array using a deep Fractal Modulation, presumably I would scale the placement of the panels by a factor of 5 to [0,25,30,25,0]? Also, would I need to put a further board between each panel, connecting the base of each panel so that there are no gaps? To pose the question differently, would I need to put a board of 25 cm in width between panels 1 and 2, and another of 5 cm between panels 2 and 3 (and so and so forth) for the [0,25,30,25,0]?
Thanks again

Shannon
Hi Shannon,

If you want to do a deep modulation with 5 panels I think that would work. However, since I've not tested it I can only speculate as to how it will perform.

There may be any number of combinations that work better. For example [0, 20, 30, 20, 0] might work better. Since we've changed the proportions we should ideally do testing to determine what the best option truly is.

I came up with profiled modulation 1 and 2 by starting with a known good shape and running many tests to converge to the best variation of that shape.

If you don't want to test it using AFMG Reflex, I'd suggest drawing it out first. If the modules are arranges so that they would follow the arc of a circle, it should work well.

As a side not, in your case it's not technically a fractal modulation since the depths of the modulation is not related to the depths of the module. You need 7 modules to do what I call a fractal modulation.

I'm not sure what you mean in your second question. Can you try re-phrasing it? You don't need to scale the horizontal spacing between panels, if that's what you're asking.

Cheers,
Tim
Old 27th May 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi Tim

Thanks for pointing out that my proposed array is not a Deep Fractal Modulation. I just used the methodology for the 7 panel array at the end of your blueprints for the A1LF and assumed that it would apply to a 5 panel array. Fortunately I have mounted the panels on feet and placed them on existing low book shelves behind the listening position. They can be moved closer or further from the wall as needed.

I'll try again with the second question. If I place all 5 panels against the wall, the side profile of the array is of the panel closest to me. I can’t see the other panels as the first panel hides them. If I pull 3 of the panels away from the wall (panels 2, 3 and 4 by say 20 cm, 25cm and 20 cm respectively), there will now be gaps between each adjoining panel, visible only when viewed from the side. Should I close these gap by fixing boards between adjoining panels? For example, the first gap between panels 1 and 2 would be 20 cm in width. Should a board of the same width be attached to the bases of these two panels?

For clarity (or to add to the above muddle of words!), whether or not I cover the gaps with more boards, the frontal profile remains the same. That is all panels still appear side by side.

Explaining the question diagrammatically;

Side profile of array sitting flatly against the wall:

W P1
W P1
W P1
W P1
W P1
W P1

Note that W= wall , P1 = panel closest to viewer. P2, P3, P4, P5 are not visible as they are behind P1. There are no gaps between the panels.

Side profile of array positioned [0,20,25,20,0]:

W P1 G G G P2 G P3
W P1 G G G P2 G P3
W P1 G G G P2 G P3
W P1 G G G P2 G P3
W P1 G G G P2 G P3
W P1 G G G P2 G P3

Note that P4 and P5 are not visible as they are behind P2 and P1 respectively. G represents the gaps, which are the subject of the question. Should a board be fixed to the base of P1, across the gap GGG to the base of P2?

Many thanks again for your help
Shannon
Old 27th May 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Question for Tim

Hi Tim

Thanks for pointing out that my proposed array is not a Deep Fractal Modulation. I just used the methodology for the 7 panel array at the end of your blueprints for the A1LF and assumed that it would apply to a 5 panel array. Fortunately I have mounted the panels on feet and placed them on existing low book shelves behind the listening position. They can be moved closer or further from the wall as needed.

I'll try again with the second question. If I place all 5 panels against the wall, the side profile of the array is of the panel closest to me. I can’t see the other panels as the first panel hides them. If I pull 3 of the panels away from the wall (panels 2, 3 and 4 by say 20 cm, 25cm and 20 cm respectively), there will now be gaps between each adjoining panel, visible only when viewed from the side. Should I close these gap by fixing boards between adjoining panels? For example, the first gap between panels 1 and 2 would be 20 cm in width. Should a board of the same width be attached to the bases of these two panels?

For clarity (or to add to the above muddle of words!), whether or not I cover the gaps with more boards, the frontal profile remains the same. That is all panels still appear side by side.

W P1
W P1
W P1
W P1
W P1
W P1

Note that W= wall , P1 = panel closest to viewer. P2, P3, P4, P5 are not visible as they are behind P1. There are no gaps between the panels.

W P1 G G G P2 G P3
W P1 G G G P2 G P3
W P1 G G G P2 G P3
W P1 G G G P2 G P3
W P1 G G G P2 G P3
W P1 G G G P2 G P3

Note that P4 and P5 are not visible as they are behind P2 and P1 respectively. G represents the gaps, which are the subject of the question. Should a board be fixed to the base of P1, across the gap GGG to the base of P2?

Shannon
Old 20th June 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I am in the process of building a 5 panel basic array for the rear of my media room. Tim has been good enough to send me his updates on how to convert those basic panels to the fractal variety.

My current plan is to just use the basic panels with the suggested modulations from Tim's design.

My question is this. Is it worth the extra effort to add the fractals? I would prefer to make that decision in the construction phase before I go on to paint the panels. It will be a lot of work to make those fractals. I am trying to figure out a simple way to make them, but have not come up with anything yet.

BTW, thanks to Tim for providing his design for us to use.

I plan on adding the panels to the rear of my media room which is 20' Wx 27' L x 9'H.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Sound Diffusers—Free Blueprints—Slim, Optimized DIY Diffuser Designs (+Fractals)-rearroom.jpg  
Old 20th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Rudy, how far would the installation be from your seated position?
Old 21st June 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
The front row of seats is about 12' from the rear wall, where I plan on installing the panels. The rear row is about 4' or so from that same wall.
Old 21st June 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
to make the fractals i think router table will be the best
i think The intent of AwwDeOhh is that as closer to the walls you are the more The importance of the fractals
Old 21st June 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
It certainly makes sense that the closer you are to the wall, the more effective the fractal design.

Today I finished the build of the 5 panels. Now I have to decide if I want to create the fractals or go on to the paint stage.....decisions.

I am really leaning to keeping the basic design.

Should I decide to make the fractals, I do have a router table and had already figured that it could be used to build the fractals. I'm just not sure if the extra construction time, material and weight are worth the performance difference.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 22nd June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for this. This looks so easy and cheap to build that I'm just going to build some. One thing only, is it ok if I use MDF that is 0,9cm? I see you are using 1cm for your build.
Old 22nd June 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Would fractals be best if you have seating about 2' away from them (behind you)?
Old 23rd June 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Gaps in diffuser array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodear ➡️
Hi Tim

W P1
W P1
W P1
W P1
W P1
W P1

W P1 G G G P2 G P3
W P1 G G G P2 G P3
W P1 G G G P2 G P3
W P1 G G G P2 G P3
W P1 G G G P2 G P3
W P1 G G G P2 G P3

Shannon
Hi Shannon,

Good question and sorry for the delay. I don't know how I missed this message.

I've thought about this myself. In most cases I think it would be better to close the gaps. With those gaps the performance of the diffuser array will be altered from what I've simulated. I'm not sure if it would be worse or better, but to ensure you're getting the performance you expect I would close the gaps.

Hope this helps.

-Tim
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy81 ➡️
I am in the process of building a 5 panel basic array for the rear of my media room. Tim has been good enough to send me his updates on how to convert those basic panels to the fractal variety.

My current plan is to just use the basic panels with the suggested modulations from Tim's design.

My question is this. Is it worth the extra effort to add the fractals? I would prefer to make that decision in the construction phase before I go on to paint the panels. It will be a lot of work to make those fractals. I am trying to figure out a simple way to make them, but have not come up with anything yet.

BTW, thanks to Tim for providing his design for us to use.

I plan on adding the panels to the rear of my media room which is 20' Wx 27' L x 9'H.
The basic design is enough for most people. If this was a professional control room, or if you are a real HiFi head and you want an extended diffusion bandwidth the fractals could be worth it for you. But, they do require a time investment.

I don't know how to quantify the benefit but maybe the 80/20 rule is useful when making the decision. IF 80% of the benefit comes from 20% of the work, it would be a more efficient time investment to just focus on the basic design.

I think people who build the fractals tend to do so because they want to go all out in the pursuit of high fidelity sound, aesthetics and coolness factor.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizt ➡️
Thanks for this. This looks so easy and cheap to build that I'm just going to build some. One thing only, is it ok if I use MDF that is 0,9cm? I see you are using 1cm for your build.
Better to use 12.3 mm MDF (or other 1/2" stock material) as mentioned here:
DIY Sound Diffusers FAQ

I've simulated both and the 12.3 mm variation beats the 9 mm because it provides a surface with greater roughness and overall depth.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 ➡️
Would fractals be best if you have seating about 2' away from them (behind you)?
At that distance if you want to use diffusion your best bet is to build a diffuser that focuses specifically on high frequencies (a commercial example is the RPG Flutterfree).

You could build a high frequency QRD diffuser and it would take less work than building a fractal diffuser.

I've explained how to determine the ideal cutoff frequency for a given listening distance in the comments at the bottom of the page here: Sound Diffusers 101: Free DIY Diffuser Designs

To sum it up:

Suggested low cutoff (Hz) = 3 x 344 / (listening distance from diffusers in meters)

So if you are sitting 2' = 0.61 meters from the diffusers:
Suggested low cutoff = 3 x 344 / 0.61 = 1692 Hz

You can then design a QRD diffuser based on that frequency using simple QRD formulas or one of the free online QRD tools.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Better to use 12.3 mm MDF (or other 1/2" stock material) as mentioned here:
DIY Sound Diffusers FAQ

I've simulated both variations and the 12.3 mm variations beats the 9 mm variation because it provides a surface with greater roughness and overall depth.
Oh, I did not see the FAQ, my bad. I'm asking because last time I bought wood labeled as 10mm on a popular hardware store with presence all around the world, in fact it was in the 0,9mm-0,95mm area. I will try to get the 12,3mm MDF then. But in case I dont find it... will using the mentioned 0,9mm affect too much the performance of the stepped diffuser? Thanks!
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizt ➡️
Oh, I did not see the FAQ, my bad. I'm asking because last time I bought wood labeled as 10mm on a popular hardware store with presence all around the world, in fact it was in the 0,9mm-0,95mm area. I will try to get the 12,3mm MDF then. But in case I dont find it... will using the mentioned 0,9mm affect too much the performance of the stepped diffuser? Thanks!
I don't have the test results handy for the 9 mm version but (if I recall correctly) you might be sacrificing 10-20% of the performance that you would get with 12.3 mm material. It's still worth doing with 9 mm material, but it would be better if you can find any material in the range of 10 mm - 13 mm.
Old 4th July 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
10mm is able to be obtained by using laminated Mdf.

9mm Mdf with 1.2 mm Laminate finish.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Sound Diffusers—Free Blueprints—Slim, Optimized DIY Diffuser Designs (+Fractals)-studio-lantern-144-copy.jpg   DIY Sound Diffusers—Free Blueprints—Slim, Optimized DIY Diffuser Designs (+Fractals)-studio-lantern-142-copy.jpg   DIY Sound Diffusers—Free Blueprints—Slim, Optimized DIY Diffuser Designs (+Fractals)-studio-lantern-140-copy.jpg   DIY Sound Diffusers—Free Blueprints—Slim, Optimized DIY Diffuser Designs (+Fractals)-studio-lantern-21-copy.jpg   DIY Sound Diffusers—Free Blueprints—Slim, Optimized DIY Diffuser Designs (+Fractals)-studio-lantern-18-copy.jpg  

Old 4th July 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xulfer1 ➡️

How much does one weigh after it is built?
Old 5th July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
[Click here to get the DIY Diffuser Blueprints]

Hey guys,

You might recall that I was going to give away free blueprints for DIY sound diffusers.

Well, here they are:

DIY Sound Diffuser Blueprints <- Free Fabrication Drawings

ABOUT THE OPTIMIZED DIY STEPPED DIFFUSERS

These are low profile, optimized stepped diffusers, designed for my thesis on acoustic diffuser optimization (outlined in this thread).

These modular DIY diffusers strike an optimal balance between
  • Performance (designed using simulated natural selection and physical modeling)
  • Compactness (low profile, modular design)
  • Simplicity (easy to construct)

At least two people have built the diffusers so far and were excited to tell me that they were cheap and simple to make — Exactly what I intended! Those folks constructed the diffusers using the information in the thesis… but because you have access to the blueprints, you should have an even easier time building them!

FRACTAL DIFFUSERS

For those of you who are interested in building fractal sound diffusers, I’ll include fractal diffuser specs in the near future [Update: specs for one of the fractal diffusers are now available for download]. I’ll keep you up to date if you follow this thread or sign up for updates on my website. In the meantime, you’ll find the dimensions for all the diffusers in the diffuser design thesis.

The video above shows a simulation of sound scattering from a fractal acoustic diffuser (finite difference time domain (FDTD) simulation).

THE DIY DIFFUSER BLUEPRINTS

To grab the designs, visit the link below.

DIY Sound Diffusers <- Free Blueprints

ARE YOU COMFORTABLE BUILDING THEM?
WHAT CHALLENGES DO YOU FACE?

I hope you guys like the designs. Please reply to this thread if you have any questions, insights, run into any challenges while building them, etc.

Also, I’d like to know:
  1. Do you think the stepped diffusers look easy to build?
  2. Where do you live?
  3. Do you have access to 1cm thick construction material? Or do you only have access to lumber with imperial dimensions?
  4. Do you have access to affordable bamboo lumber?
  5. What’s the most likely material you’d use for building them?
  6. What tools are available to you? Do you have access to woodworking equipment? CNC?

Enjoy the blueprints!

Tim

P.S. I’ll update this thread when I post more DIY diffuser resources. So stay tuned!
(to download the designs, visit the blue link above)

Great work !!!
I have two clarifications though. .
1) in the A1-LF Drawings, u have mentioned the Slat Depth Sequence as 0,40,50,30,50,40,0
But in the B2-Frac Specs, the fractals are mounted on Slat Depth Sequence of 0,40,70,60,80,50,10,0
Did I get it wrong by thinking that the B2-Frac is an extended (advanced) version of the A1-LF ?

2) The width of the Fractal cells in the B2-Frac are mentioned as 8.57mm. Will the design change/suffer if we use a 10mm for the same if its easily available here?

Sorry if the questions have been asked before...
Old 6th July 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xulfer1 ➡️

Ah, smart . Thanks for sharing that tip!
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolida ➡️
Great work !!!
I have two clarifications though. .
1) in the A1-LF Drawings, u have mentioned the Slat Depth Sequence as 0,40,50,30,50,40,0
But in the B2-Frac Specs, the fractals are mounted on Slat Depth Sequence of 0,40,70,60,80,50,10,0
Did I get it wrong by thinking that the B2-Frac is an extended (advanced) version of the A1-LF ?

2) The width of the Fractal cells in the B2-Frac are mentioned as 8.57mm. Will the design change/suffer if we use a 10mm for the same if its easily available here?

Sorry if the questions have been asked before...
Hi Jolida. To answer your questions:

1) B2-Frac is a completely different design, based on B2-LF in the thesis. There IS a fractal version of A1-LF, called A1-Frac (or the Leanfracal). I've not included blueprints for it for legal reasons. Someone has been stealing my work, selling it and trying to patent it... and since A1-Frac is my favorite diffuser design I'm taking extra precautions to protect it. All the information for it is out there, but it's not packaged up in a single document.

You can find out how to build it here.

2) The diffusion performance will change (I expect it will be shifted to lower frequencies, which is not ideal). The main thing to note is that if you make the fractal cells wider, you also need to make the base design wider to fit the larger fractal cells.

If you do this, I suggest you scale everything proportionally so that the overall design is deeper. If you make everything bigger but keep all proportions the same I would expect the diffusion coefficient curves to look similar, but shifted to lower frequencies.

The easiest thing to do if you live in North America is to simply use standard 1/2" material (typically 12.3 mm actual thickness) for the unit of depth on the base diffuser design. The extra depth this gives you will let you make the cells a bit wider while keeping the proportions reasonably close.

Hope this helps!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The easiest thing to do if you live in North America is to simply use standard 1/2" material (typically 12.3 mm actual thickness) for the unit of depth on the base diffuser design. The extra depth this gives you will let you make the cells a bit wider while keeping the proportions reasonably close.
Great. So if ive understood it right, the resulting Step Depths based on the 1/2" (12.3mm) would be 0, 49.2, 61.5, 36.9, 61.5, 49.2, 0.
Is that correct?
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolida ➡️
Great. So if ive understood it right, the resulting Step Depths based on the 1/2" (12.3mm) would be 0, 49.2, 61.5, 36.9, 61.5, 49.2, 0.
Is that correct?
You got it.
Old 6th July 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Almost done with my 5 panels. Decided on simply the basic design. Painted them in black lacquer to match my HT decor.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Sound Diffusers—Free Blueprints—Slim, Optimized DIY Diffuser Designs (+Fractals)-diffuser1.jpg  
📝 Reply