Quantcast
DIY Sound Diffusers—Free Blueprints—Slim, Optimized DIY Diffuser Designs (+Fractals) - Page 12 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DIY Sound Diffusers—Free Blueprints—Slim, Optimized DIY Diffuser Designs (+Fractals)
Old 4th November 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat ➡️
I'm curious to know how everyone is making these, especially if CNC isn't available?

Is this something that could be made with a table saw?
Yes, lots of people have made them simply using a table saw.

The more complex fractal designs are less practical unless you have access to a milling machine or an alternative manufacturing processes. However, the designs that are based on the Leanfuser module (A1-LF) are very simple to make. All the pieces needed to make the Leanfuser modules are easy to cut on a table saw.
Old 4th November 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Would the performance be compromised if i made the diffusers taller? Maybe an array of five, but have each unit be 8 feet tall?

Thanks!
Old 4th November 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drzayuss ➡️
Would the performance be compromised if i made the diffusers taller? Maybe an array of five, but have each unit be 8 feet tall?

Thanks!
Nope! You can certainly do that and it won't have a negative effect on the performance.
Old 6th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
To avoid making a large picturesque post, I have zipped and attached AFMG Reflex results for routering (4) 20mm roundovers onto the diffuser.

Locations

I was not suprised by the benign differences in the results, and I would not be any more suprised to see if a similar roundover dimension was the same.

Please ignore the model designations in the images, they got flip flopped...
All the models were done at 1/12 octave, no smoothing.
The periodic designation is for 5 units as described in the PDF
Attached Files
File Type: zip a1 with roundover.zip (305.4 KB, 145 views)
Old 6th November 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Fantastic. Thanks for doing this experiment.

The difference in performance is not very significant under most conditions. But, this is useful because it gives people the option of an alternative aesthetic.

Nice work.
Old 7th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Right, the way light reflects off of curved surfaces is much more pleasing than hard edges.
If you look carefully at the charts, they have smoothed out a bit as a result. I want to say this is because of less hard edge diffraction, and thus less lobing, but there could be other things happening also. It seems intuitive to say that the treble will be better diffused, but then again, other things happening.
Old 7th November 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
if i were to construct one of these with half inch plywood, would i still use all other metric measurements (well depth, cell width, etc.) ?

Thanks!
Old 7th November 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusOfTrolls ➡️
Right, the way light reflects off of curved surfaces is much more pleasing than hard edges.
If you look carefully at the charts, they have smoothed out a bit as a result. I want to say this is because of less hard edge diffraction, and thus less lobing, but there could be other things happening also. It seems intuitive to say that the treble will be better diffused, but then again, other things happening.
Yeah, it's hard to tell exactly what's happening. I would expect the high frequencies to be scattered better at the locations where you've bevelled the edges. One interesting thing is that in the periodic examples for normal incidence, the rounded version has performance spikes at about 1.7 kHz and 2.4 kHz. In this example the scattering coefficient spectrum has been smoothed out, but the diffusion coefficient spectrum is more jagged. The periodic effects are reduced at the fundamental frequency (about 800Hz), but enhanced at the first and second harmonic (about 1.6 Hz and 2.4 kHz). Obviously there is a lot of nonlinear behaviour happening at the physical level (which is expected).
Old 8th November 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drzayuss ➡️
if i were to construct one of these with half inch plywood, would i still use all other metric measurements (well depth, cell width, etc.) ?

Thanks!
You would keep all the widths the same, but the depths would change so that instead of incrementing by 10 mm, they increment by about 12.3 mm (or whatever the thickness of your 1/2" plywood).

I've tested this configuration and it performs well (slightly better than the 10mm version).
Old 8th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arqen ➡️
Yeah, it's hard to tell exactly what's happening. I would expect the high frequencies to be scattered better at the locations where you've bevelled the edges. One interesting thing is that in the periodic examples for normal incidence, the rounded version has performance spikes at about 1.7 kHz and 2.4 kHz. In this example the scattering coefficient spectrum has been smoothed out, but the diffusion coefficient spectrum is more jagged. The periodic effects are reduced at the fundamental frequency (about 800Hz), but enhanced at the first and second harmonic (about 1.6 Hz and 2.4 kHz). Obviously there is a lot of nonlinear behaviour happening at the physical level (which is expected).
Yes I noticed the increase also, but I think for diffusion an increase is good, even if it has a tuned series? It didn't remove any appreciable diffusion above about 1khz, normal. We also didn't see the same increase for diffuse field or other angles. Could there be notable effects from the narrow band increase?
Old 10th November 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I'm not sure how noticeable it would be. Typically I don't think there would be noticeable negative effects if there is a tuned series that has high diffusion. If we're aiming for a neutral response, flatter is generally preferred, but to be honest I'm not sure to what degree narrow spikes in the diffusion spectrum can actually be perceived.

I'd only be concerned if the average coefficient is pushed down significantly.
Old 12th November 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
i tried building some of these diffusers today with some wood i had on hand. but the steps are slightly different. Would it still be efficient, and worth while putting up if i did a hole wall of them? Anythin's better than a flat wall right?

I'll try to post some pictures up.

Don't mind the Rum bottle in the cinderblock. ha ha !

Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicatrix ➡️
i tried building some of these diffusers today with some wood i had on hand. but the steps are slightly different. Would it still be efficient, and worth while putting up if i did a hole wall of them? Anythin's better than a flat wall right?

I'll try to post some pictures up.

Don't mind the Rum bottle in the cinderblock. ha ha !
What size wood did you use? 3/4"? I noticed that you've also varied the width of the steps significantly. To be honest I don't know how they will perform given that the design is changed significantly. You've made some of the steps very narrow and left a wide flat portion in the middle of the diffuser, which I don't think is ideal.

Haha, I doubt I would have noticed the rum bottle without you pointing it out. That's a mighty fine place to store rum if you ask me .
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arqen ➡️
What size wood did you use? 3/4"? I noticed that you've also varied the width of the steps significantly. To be honest I don't know how they will perform given that the design is changed significantly. You've made some of the steps very narrow and left a wide flat portion in the middle of the diffuser, which I don't think is ideal.

Haha, I doubt I would have noticed the rum bottle without you pointing it out. That's a mighty fine place to store rum if you ask me .
Hey thanks for your input. Yup, 3/4 ". All I have to do is change the second piece from the top to the matching 2" piece like on the top and shift it over and i should have a design a lot closer to the original. I just didnt have any more of that size wood. Kooks like i'll go pick some up today though!
Old 12th November 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I changed them a lot more like how the originals are. It's as close as I can get them for now.
I forgot to thank you for the blueprints. Thanks very much! It's most gracious of you.

[URL=http://s1356.photobucket.com/user/ventapael/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps71d476a4.jpg.html][/URL
Old 12th November 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Hey, my pleasure. These designs should be effective but if you plan on mounting a bunch of them I recommend using the profiled modulations given on the last 3 pages of the blueprints.
Old 16th November 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Hi arqen. I am finishing the diffusers. I ended making a fractal version of the a1. 5 modules.

I planned to mount them using the modulation 0 5 6 5 0 cm. But I made a mistake gluing the lateral woods and now I could mount them in 0 6 7 6 0 cm

Do you think it would hinder in anyway the acoustic response?

Maybe 1 6 7 6 1 to keep the proportions right?

Thanks. I will post photos of the whole process soon
Old 16th November 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Hi arqen. I am finishing the diffusers. I ended making a fractal version of the a1. 5 modules.

I planned to mount them using the modulation 0 5 6 5 0 cm. But I made a mistake gluing the lateral woods and now I could mount them in 0 6 7 6 0 cm

Old 17th November 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Fractal diffusers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo1980 ➡️

Hi Pablo,

Fantastic that you're doing this. The A1-fractal diffuser designs have recently become my favourite, and not many people have built them so far (maybe because I've not published full blueprints for them).

I don't think it would hurt the response to mount them at [0 6 7 6 0] cm, but I'm not certain. To be safe you could do [1 6 7 6 1] cm, and in the future you would have the option of adding an additional module on each side (if you have the space), so that you have 7-modules mounted at [0 1 6 7 6 1 0] cm.

How long ago did you download the blueprints? Just in case it's an option for you, have you seen the 7-module version shown below? It has modules mounted at [0 8 10 6 10 8 0] cm.

Deleted User #122334
2 ft height array instead of 4 ft

Hi Tim and everybody,

I would like to mount an array of 5 half-height (2 feet) diffusers on a wall in my tracking room, instead of the usual 4 ft full height. These would be above absorption panels and closer to the ceiling.

Does the performance change significantly by using half-height modules?

Thanks!
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andresvial ➡️
Hi Tim and everybody,

I would like to mount an array of 5 half-height (2 feet) diffusers on a wall in my tracking room, instead of the usual 4 ft full height. These would be above absorption panels and closer to the ceiling.

Does the performance change significantly by using half-height modules?

Thanks!
Yes, you can certainly do that and it won't effect the operation of the diffusers (but of course, you'd naturally get more diffusion with the 4' versions simply because they cover more surface area...).

These diffusers are only designed to diffuse sound in the horizontal plane, so the height is flexible (within reason). Any height greater than 1' is fair game.

Tim
Old 18th November 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
What´s the recomended height of 120cm diffuser? the middle of the diffuser at ear level?
Old 18th November 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
What´s the recomended height of 120cm diffuser? the middle of the diffuser at ear level?
Yes, that's a good height to mount it at. If you want it to be useful for people both sitting and standing, you could mount it so that the middle is about 145-148 cm above ground (based on the recommended height for mounting studio monitors).
Old 24th November 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I'm going to build an array of 5 Leanfusors using 1/2" MDF = 12.7mm.

In the plans the mounting modulation for 5 units is: (0,5cm,6cm,5cm,0).

How would I calculate the mounting modulation depth for my stock depth (12.7mm)?

Thanks in advance!
Old 24th November 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
FINISHED!
I´ve mounted a fractal version of the A1, a shop that makes cnc cuts made the fractal units for me (somewhere in the thread are the measures for the fractals using 12mm MDF). I mounted in a profiled modulation of 5 panels, so I have a kind of 3 stages fractal device (not complete due to the 5 panels).

The result is kind subjetive cause I didn´t measure before and after but I have notice a big improvement in the reverbs detail, the general focus and spatial placemente.

Have you ever made the experiment of putting your hands behind your ears forming a cup? you get more highs definition and focus (have a go if you want to), with the difussers I have notices that the effect of putting the hands behind the ears is lost, so it is like having them all the time, the back wall is not interfearing so much with the sound stage.

I don´t know how to post photos here, so I will send them to arqen!
Thanks!!!
Old 24th November 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
FINISHED!
I´ve mounted a fractal version of the A1, a shop that makes cnc cuts made the fractal units for me (somewhere in the thread are the measures for the fractals using 12mm MDF). I mounted in a profiled modulation of 5 panels, so I have a kind of 3 stages fractal device (not complete due to the 5 panels).

The result is kind subjetive cause I didn´t measure before and after but I have notice a big improvement in the reverbs detail, the general focus and spatial placemente.

Have you ever made the experiment of putting your hands behind your ears forming a cup? you get more highs definition and focus (have a go if you want to), with the difussers I have notices that the effect of putting the hands behind the ears is lost, so it is like having them all the time, the back wall is not interfearing so much with the sound stage.

Thanks!!!
Old 25th November 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by behussey ➡️
I'm going to build an array of 5 Leanfusors using 1/2" MDF = 12.7mm.

In the plans the mounting modulation for 5 units is: (0,5cm,6cm,5cm,0).

How would I calculate the mounting modulation depth for my stock depth (12.7mm)?

Thanks in advance!
I would simply use the stock depth as the default depth unit instead of a cm. So 5cm becomes 63.5 mm and 6 cm becomes 76.2mm.
Old 25th November 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
FINISHED!

Thanks!!!
Fantastic! I got your photos and they look great. I did that experiment just now in a room without acoustic treatment behind me, and the difference is drastic. Even though it's not a very scientific test, it seems like a useful way to subjectively observe the effects of diffusion.

If you want to post the photos in the thread, click the paper clip icon (beside the mountain icon) in the compose window. This lets you upload images.

Excellent work!
Tim
Old 26th November 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi experts,

Diffusion novice right here...
Need to choose a diffuser solution for 4m cube rehearsal room with parallel plasterboard walls…
My head is spinning with all info and options…

Has anybody tried making DIY Flutterfree style diffusers?
Would they perform a lot better than Arqen's simple diffuser?
I'm guessing a strip of wood and a cheap router would work in making these…

BTW, nice one Arqen for the free stuff.

Old 26th November 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Sticks ➡️
Hi experts,

Diffusion novice right here...
Need to choose a diffuser solution for 4m cube rehearsal room with parallel plasterboard walls…
My head is spinning with all info and options…

Has anybody tried making DIY Flutterfree style diffusers?
Would they perform a lot better than Arqen's simple diffuser?
I'm guessing a strip of wood and a cheap router would work in making these…

BTW, nice one Arqen for the free stuff.

You can see the acoustical data on the flutterfree here: http://www.rpginc.com/ProductDocs/FL...cal%20Data.pdf

It's designed for use at higher frequencies. Above 4000 Hz it has better diffusion than my Leanfuser design (arranged in Profiled Modulation 1), but it has worse performance below that.

The Flutterfree T has better diffusion performance above about 2.5 kHz, and worse performance below 2 kHz.

However, I'm not sure how it compares to the A1-fractal design. My A1-fractal design has increased high frequency performance, but the diffusion coefficients have not been measured.
📝 Reply