Quantcast
New Studio Construction - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Studio Construction
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
New Studio Construction

Hey guys I'm about to take the plunge and FINALLY move my studio out of home. Been looking into a few industrial business complexes over the last few months and I think I may have found one

My question is whats the best insulation/rockwool to use. The complex has a business above on the first floor and there is a cafe next door, so I'd like to try keep the sound in as much as I can. I have enough space to make a 5x5 control room, 5x4 live room aswell as a small rehearsal space and offices/edit rooms. I am pretty certain we will use the room within a room concept, but I don't know whats best for inside the walls and the plasterboard.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Cheers,

Daniel
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
For wall partitions, typical light loft/attic/wall insulation works best. Easy, cheap, and works great for isolation.
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hey Alexander thanks for the info! When you say loft/wall insulation, do you mean the normal insulation in residential homes?

Will the rockwool deaden the live room too much?
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Alexander is talking about the wool within the walls, not the acoustic treatment. Take care of your isolation needs first, and then focus on internal acoustic treatment. If you haven’t already; read up on “modal distribution” and what room ratios you can use to prevent poor modal distribution.

EDIT: And since you are talking about a 5x5 control room, it´s apparent that you haven’t read up on room modes. You´ll avoid tons of trouble by optimizing the room layout with modal distribution in mind.
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Eklund ➡️
Alexander is talking about the wool within the walls, not the acoustic treatment. Take care of your isolation needs first, and then focus on internal acoustic treatment. If you haven’t already; read up on “modal distribution” and what room ratios you can use to prevent poor modal distribution.

EDIT: And since you are talking about a 5x5 control room, it´s apparent that you haven’t read up on room modes. You´ll avoid tons of trouble by optimizing the room layout with modal distribution in mind.
Thanks for clarification Jens. And as usual, agree'd.

If you have a 5x5 room and a 4x5 room, you could use the 4x5 room as the control room, and splay the walls in the live room (heavily if you wish to break up modal activity).

How high is the ceiling?
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Thanks jens. Your right I haven't read much at all ha. I'll post some pics of the warehouse plans I tried to put together. The reason my control room is bigger than the live room is because I have a monster console. It's 4.5m long.

Alex I'm not sure exactly how high the ceilings are, I'll get back to you. I think they're about 9 or 10 feet.

So if I use the room within a room technique and just use ordinary insulation in the walls, will that still isolate the sound going out to the neighboring factories.

Thanks so much for advice btw. Much appreciated
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hey guys please find attached mock drawing I did. I'll try move some walls to splay the live room and control room like you suggested alex
Attached Thumbnails
New Studio Construction-studio-rough.jpg  
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Ok so I tried splaying the walls...I still don't know if that helps though. I am know architect

In regards to the ceilings there is a business already above on the first floor. How would I make the ceilings so the sound doesn't escape to the top floor, especially if theres a band in the rehearsal room?
Attached Thumbnails
New Studio Construction-studio-rough-2.jpg  
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
gik acoustics was referring to splayed live room walls i think.

usually 12deg is minimum for the isolating walls so 6 degress either side will give you 12 deg.

maybe have a look into room ratios. looks to me like your control room is almost a square which is not the most desirable outcome.

are the walls existing or is this a fitout?
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Although splaying walls 6-12 degrees (thus avoiding parallel surfaces facing each other) might prevent flutter echo, it does little in terms of improving modal behavior or a room with poor modal distribution. I would start off with a rectangular super structure with favorable ratios providing good modal distribution and then treat whatever modal and other issues exists (based on information sourced from measurements naturally).
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the responses guys. To answer your question gouge, it is a fit out
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ok, looks like you may need to try a few more layouts out and see what works.

is the door at the rehersal room an exit door?
how do people get to the rehersal room.
where is the cafe? try and keep you noise sources away from them.
ceiling is a hard one to answer without knowing the existing stucture etc.

if it were me. i would get an acoustic engineer to go to site and provide a report of existing noise levels plus existing isolation value of walls/ceilings.

your problem is this. if you get shut down for noise polution then every cent you have invested into building your space goes down the tube or it costs you a small fortunes to rectify your new work.

you will also need a certifier to certify your plans and work.

the piece of mind is worth it i think. it bugs me but clubs and pubs are being moved on and shut down every day due to noise. whether they've been there prior or not doesn't matter.
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hey Gouge, the external door of the rehearsal room is the entry for the rehearsal space. There is actually a big sliding roller door there too. It is also the back door to the factory. The factory is a corner block. So the side where the rehearsal space, control room and live room are just a carpark. The other door is so the rehearsal room can access the kitchen/toilets. I wanted to keep it this way so bands aren't dragging there gear through the walkway banging the walls with their equipment haha

The cafe is on the same side as the edit suites. Well its actually the kitchen to the cafe.

A friend of mine was recommending rockwool for the insulation of the walls?
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
sounds like you are heading in the right direction with room positions then.

it's hard to know what to use in the walls or detail to use. what level of isolation do the current walls offer?
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
There is no isolation at all atm. Its currently an empty bottom floor. The shell of the warehouse is concrete and on a concrete floor.

I spoke to the real estate agent and he told me the business above me is separated by concrete too. I don't understand how though, it looks like the first floor is held up by just 3 small beams.

Can anyone give me a little more info of the room within a room technique. I'm unsure how to do the outer ceiling.

Is this studio/rehearsal space going to work? Is soundproofing it something that will be out of reach? I really don't want to get shut down if I agree on the lease.

Thanks for all your responses guys
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
What are everyone's ideas on soundproofing a live room for a studio. The current floor is concrete as well as the walls and ceilings. Btw there is another business above me on the first floor.

How would you do it?
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Bump!!
Old 27th September 2012
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…