Help analyze room graph and acoustic design - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help analyze room graph and acoustic design
Old 23rd October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Fuzzy

What version of FuzzMeasure are you using? Mine does not do Frequency Response, but SPL or Magnitude Response.
The HS80 has a steep roll-off below 70Hz on the specs I just looked at.
A 70Hz null is very common. 8 foot ceiling, half height=null. If the width is similar, double null.

DD
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras ➑️
Agreed, but I was just pointing out that his graphs should look like a smooth line more that the gagged one.. Needless to say I don't think it is the speakers unless there are totally distorting.
so what do you suggest glen?
whats the most important to look at when measuring and treating a room?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan ➑️
What version of FuzzMeasure are you using? Mine does not do Frequency Response, but SPL or Magnitude Response.
The HS80 has a steep roll-off below 70Hz on the specs I just looked at.
A 70Hz null is very common. 8 foot ceiling, half height=null. If the width is similar, double null.

DD
Im using Fuzzmeasure 3. I just downloaded the version 2..
half height from the Cone driver = Null ????
oh no !!.. I just measure from floor to center of cone is around 130cm.
and my room is 260cm
do you mean width from left to right speaker?

I've tried to put the speaker on tall chair, and pull it near basstrap and front wall. still the null is there.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Language

si4, I don't understand, but I would use FM V3 if there is a choice.
I would delete the other version and the .plist and so on. A full uninstall.
Modal nulls do not change location with the speaker. They fit into the room because their length is related exactly to a room dimension.
Play a 70Hz sine. Listen from floor to ceiling, and for that matter all over the room. Observe where the hotspots and nulls live.
Or predict it here. hunecke.de | Room Eigenmodes Calculator

DD
Old 24th October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
here's my ETC graph and my latetest room response. I just measure it last night.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I Just added
-2 super chunk on rear corner with 60kg/cm3 rockwool material, covered with fabrics.
-2 stack of basstrap on front wall
-1 basstrap on the ceiling on mix position

and here's the graph before and after.
1/48

NEW GRAPH AFTER I MOVE MY SPEAKER POSITION DOWN by 20cm and added couple of basstrap and super chunk UPDATED 2013

1/3

AFTER

here's the room after

its indeed sounds better. but still lack of low. when I do my Mixing, its very hard to hear the bass and the kick.. it just doesn't translate well..
and High gain guitar metal tracks sounds very harsh and all over the place, I decided to pull down the faders down it sounds good, but when I hear on other speaker it just sounds too soft. So the problems here is, my mixing doesn't translate well even I reference it with other commercial tracks.
what i'm trying to achieve here is a good sounding room, so that my speaker sounds more clearer, translate well.
any suggestion / oppinion / inputs ?
do you think adding QRD7 diffuser on side wall and front wall will help with comb filtering in my room and improve my room dramatically ?
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Front Wall

Try moving your speakers very close to the front wall.
DD
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Try moving your speakers very close to the front wall.
DD
isn't the possition of speaker should be at least 50-100cm to front wall?
will it improve the sounds dramatically ? I have to move my big desk to move them
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Myth

The optimum postion for the speaker is a very complicated issue. But simply put speakers are often at their best very close to the wall, OR very far from it.
There is a decent explanation at the Genelec website.
But cutting to the chase, you are seriously lacking bass and moving the speaker close to the wall will get you some. Think about it, why do major studios go to all that trouble and expense of building speakers, into the wall?
Follow the logic and very close may be a good second best.
Try it, you will get a nice surprise.
DD
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The optimum postion for the speaker is a very complicated issue. But simply put speakers are often at their best very close to the wall, OR very far from it.
There is a decent explanation at the Genelec website.
But cutting to the chase, you are seriously lacking bass and moving the speaker close to the wall will get you some. Think about it, why do major studios go to all that trouble and expense of building speakers, into the wall?
Follow the logic and very close may be a good second best.
Try it, you will get a nice surprise.
DD
hmmm interesting ..how close you suggest ? just leave few cm gaps?
I'll give it a shoot
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Close

As close as possible, just enough to prevent transmission. Ideally you would then test at different distances, say every 2cm.
Even with such small increments you will see the LF response change. Zoom in.
View 30-200Hz with no smoothing.

Take a look at the Measurement Primer Sticky. The graph at the end shows a dramatic improvement in LF response caused by movement alone.

DD
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
As close as possible, just enough to prevent transmission. Ideally you would then test at different distances, say every 2cm.
Even with such small increments you will see the LF response change. Zoom in.
View 30-200Hz with no smoothing.

Take a look at the Measurement Primer Sticky. The graph at the end shows a dramatic improvement in LF response caused by movement alone.

DD
what about the wall? do I need the back of the speaker facing a basstrap? bcos my front wall is just plain wall without diffuser treatment etc.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Thin

Front Wall treatment is often unnecessary. RealTraps - Front Wall Absorption I would do it only to prevent flutter echo between back and front wall or with very deep traps to work on BIR and Modes.

DD
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Front Wall treatment is often unnecessary. RealTraps - Front Wall Absorption I would do it only to prevent flutter echo between back and front wall or with very deep traps to work on BIR and Modes.

DD
but If i move the speaker back, all of my bass trap on the side wall and ceiling will be useless. since I put them according to first reflection point. hmmm this is confusing
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Confusing

I sympathise. I often see people acting on some advice, only to find out later that it was false. The notion that speakers have to be moved out from the wall is widespread. I would say most people if asked would think that is the correct way to use them. I can understand that you have been misled and are now unwilling to act on new advice. So just to reassure you that I am not making this up......

Wall behind the Loudspeaker Cancellation

DD
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I sympathise. I often see people acting on some advice, only to find out later that it was false. The notion that speakers have to be moved out from the wall is widespread. I would say most people if asked would think that is the correct way to use them. I can understand that you have been misled and are now unwilling to act on new advice. So just to reassure you that I am not making this up......

Wall behind the Loudspeaker Cancellation

DD
that's very helpful article. thanks dan.. appreciate it..
Can you explain Distance to wall = ΒΌ Wavelength distance? I just dont get it wavelength distance.. I'll try with the forth option maybe, or try shift my speaker on stand maybe
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Lambda

Wavelength is the length of a full cycle. 0 to + to - and back to 0.
Sound travels at 340m/S so a 100 Cycles per second wave is.......
3.4 Metres long. Wavelength frequency convert lambda Hz sound conversion acoustics acoustic audio radio speed of sound and radio waves wave length light vacuum equation formula for frequency speed of light color spectrum - sengpielaudio Sengpiel Berlin

The 1/4 is distance from a boundary, but the reflection doubles this making it half. Half reverses phase. + becomes - see above first line.
Add + and - and you get the null.

DD
πŸ“ Reply