Quantcast
Wall Construction - Insulation Installed wrong * Need Advice - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Wall Construction - Insulation Installed wrong * Need Advice
Old 21st September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Need Advice

I have a concerns that the STC and acoustics are going to be effect by this improper construction. How do you think this will effect both the STC and acoustics in the rooms?

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: png doubleStudWall-TopView.png (100.8 KB, 2949 views) File Type: png doubleStudWall-TopView3.png (67.5 KB, 632 views)
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't think it will have any effect. You've got a 1" gap either side still so the cavity isn't bridged by the mineral wool

The mineral wool is there to damp down resonances within the cavity between the drywalls. The majority of the wall's STC performance will come from the drywall and green glue combination.

I think you're fine

EDIT: However it shows a lack of eye for detail from the builder, might be worth checking out other bits of the construction
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dange ➡️
I don't think it will have any effect. You've got a 1" gap either side still so the cavity isn't bridged by the mineral wool

The mineral wool is there to damp down resonances within the cavity between the drywalls. The majority of the wall's STC performance will come from the drywall and green glue combination.

I think you're fine

EDIT: However it shows a lack of eye for detail from the builder, might be worth checking out other bits of the construction
+1 to all of the above. Especially checking for other variances in construction.

Inavriably,
Andre
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This will (of course) depend on both the density of the insulation in question - as well as the degree of compression between the 2 surfaces...

Overly dense and compressed insulation can cause a path for direct flanking between the 2 surfaces.

But - as long as it is not a dense insulation - for example normal ordinary fluffy fiberglass - and not over stuffed - for example - a double layer of R19 fiberglass insulation (so 11" total) stuffed into your 9 1/2" cavity - then I would agree that you should not have any issues....

Rod
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…