Quantcast
Non acoustic studio build considerations - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Non acoustic studio build considerations
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Non acoustic studio build considerations

I'm rebuilding my basement, and want to have a rehearsal space that I can also use for recording. I'm going to grab a book on acoustics to help with selecting materials (e.g. sheetrock) and dimensions, and after the build I can purchase more traps, diffusers, etc.

Besides a 20' x 20' or so rehearsal space (that doubles as an xbox room), the basement will also have 2 bedrooms, a bathroom, and a storage room that I could use in a recording situation.

What else should I consider besides acoustics? Here is all I've come up with:

1) Wiring, snakes. I'll probably run XLR and headphone jack (at least) to each room. In the main room I'll run wires up to two roof-mounted studio monitors. Other amplification will not be a permanent fixture, so won't need wires.

2) Electricity: Lots of plugs, perhaps some sort of isolation/conditioning on the circuits to reduce hum?

3) Windows/glass, I'm thinking of buying doors with glass in them, and putting blinds on them, so the bedrooms have privacy when they're being used as bedrooms but they have some visibility if I use them for a drum cage or vocal booth.

4) Ventilation/HVAC. Oh boy I hate fan noise, but I also hate having 9 musicians in a badly ventilated room. I need to figure out the best way to quietly ventilate. I might put in-floor heating in the floor, but I'd still want forced-air ventilation, wouldn't I?

5) Lighting. The room has a low ceiling, maybe I'll just put a bunch of pot lights in because they take up no room (can fit in between the joists).

This particular forum is obviously about acoustics, and thanks everyone for all the recommendations about research material for acoustics. But it sounds like many of you must have dealt with these other 5 (or more) considerations before, are there other forums (or books) that I should read about these other topics?

Thanks,
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Get a spark to install a seperate mains connection from your main home fusebox . Have this setup with mains wire 3 or 4 times as thick as normal and more insulation than normal
This will have its own seperate earth/ground and thus be isolated from a ring main.

This is to avoid noise issues. Mains hum. Rf issues etc etc. Both my being seperate from a ring main plus the larger more hi quality wiring and insulation

The dedicated fuse should also allow a larger current flow and be a trip switch.

Mains should then also go through a conditioner/ voltage stabilizer which also helps avoid spikes/ rf pickup etc etc and also is set to blow first.

Power conditioner will have 8 outputs which can then be split to power all equipment

All this will not cost much. Cost me about 750 dollars for electrical work. Wiring. Power conditioner etc.

Sent from my GT-S5360
Old 20th September 2012
JWL
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Get Rod Gervais' book.
📝 Reply