Quantcast
Can I rotate my control room - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Can I rotate my control room
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Can I rotate my control room

Hi I originally designed my control room to meet one of the recommended ratios, the room is basically a room with in a room just ho floating floor.

the trouble is i designed it to for a in the box studio no mixing desk, but due to recent unforeseen changes I have my 64 channel Maxcon 2 desk in there and this has changed things a bit as you can see from the images below.
Image 2 is before and Image 3 is the current set up.

I have rotated the control room on its side so i can fit things in and be able to get in and out the hight by the way is 243.8 cm.

the question is will I have huge problems as the dimensions are still the same in theory nothing has changed just the speaker position and only one as one speaker would have to have been where it is any way.

http://www.k5studios.co.uk/downloads/Picture2.jpg
http://www.k5studios.co.uk/downloads/Picture3.jpg
Old 18th September 2012
JWL
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Not a huge difference since the room is nearly square. Get as much bass trapping as you can in there, you'll need it.

RealTraps - How To Set Up a Room
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I agree with JWL but I would take the time to test the room to make sure you are in the best spot. You may find moving a bit forward or back will help.
Room EQ Wizard Tutorial Video
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thanks for your reply JWL, I didn't think it would I will be doing some tests once I get a door on there I need to design one first. I will have a look at the math on real traps and see if I can apply it to my room, In my experience (Limited) you need a huge room to make things work from a practical point and sound or you end up with a triangle thats like 2x2x2 feet.
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Hi Glenn I am going to try and get this one wright, once I do some test I will post the results to get some opinions before doing any treatment.
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You can rotate it easily if it's mounted on a large motorized pedestal (jk)
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I was thinking of digging it up but the large motorized pedestal sounds better
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I done a bit of listening in the room last night it seems I have to sit right up against the back wall to hear the bass, as I get closer to the desk the bass disappears, what a pain I have to move the desk in to the center of the room there will be no room for anyone else to sit in there and also the desk is going to be in the way of the speakers on stands desk hight, talk about the impossible, I may just have to get rid of the desk for this room to work.
I don't like to sit close to the desk and not hear what am tweaking I had this problem in my last place, you do miss all the nice stuff while you are tweaking.
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shak ➑️
I done a bit of listening in the room last night it seems I have to sit right up against the back wall to hear the bass, as I get closer to the desk the bass disappears, what a pain I have to move the desk in to the center of the room there will be no room for anyone else to sit in there and also the desk is going to be in the way of the speakers on stands desk hight, talk about the impossible, I may just have to get rid of the desk for this room to work.
I don't like to sit close to the desk and not hear what am tweaking I had this problem in my last place, you do miss all the nice stuff while you are tweaking.
You can overcome a lot of these problems with plenty of bass trapping
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Is this not also due to wave length, I hope plenty of trapping will deal with it.
I still need to get the door on and do some room eq testing before I can get too serious about treatment, but its good to have a plan.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…