Quantcast
CR in width - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
CR in width
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
CR in width

Why is it that many control rooms of bigger studios are built in width. what i mean is that the distance front to back is less than that of side to side!!

From my understanding it is usually better to have the speakers firing lengthwise. one reason being the reflections from the backwall being further away. another reason would be, that one can be further away from the front wall. there are many more reasons for firing lengthwise.
I have recently been to 2 acclaimed studios in my region (maybe not so successful in this decade) and both were configured that the speakers fire into the width. it just seems weird to me.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixoblivion ➑️
Why is it that many control rooms of bigger studios are built in width. what i mean is that the distance front to back is less than that of side to side!!

From my understanding it is usually better to have the speakers firing lengthwise. one reason being the reflections from the backwall being further away. another reason would be, that one can be further away from the front wall. there are many more reasons for firing lengthwise.
I have recently been to 2 acclaimed studios in my region (maybe not so successful in this decade) and both were configured that the speakers fire into the width. it just seems weird to me.
The lengthwise suggestion is valid for smaller control rooms. In larger control rooms the width dimension is large enough to provide sufficient time for back wall reflections to sufficiently delayed. In smaller rooms this is not true.

Andre
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
it also depends on the console and speakers. if you have an 11' wide console and large dual 15" mains, you need the width and so rooms where there is not a corresponding depth means compromises - usually a very deep set of traps on the back wall to deal with the reflections and intense LF levels in a shallow space.
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Agreed with the above. I actually did this test not so long ago. Here is the video with the results.
Video: Positioning Listening Spot
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Great answers!
Thanks for clearing that up.

Now how wide does a room have to be sothat facing the long side is not a problem anymore?
Because the professional CRs ive seen dont seem so wide... i would say maybe 5m wide. but i cant tell exactly!
Still i wonder, even if with bigger rooms there is less problems facing the longer side, would it not still be better to face the short side of the room??
Facing the short side makes it a lot more likley to be sitting in the middle of the width then, since the console, speakers, etc. will take some space and the sitting position will be further back.
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Everything you pointed out is correct. 5m, IMO would be doable but would still recommend the other way if you can.
Old 18th September 2012
Deleted 56021e5
This simply has to do with lateral reflections that are not absorb and trying to increase the delay time between them and the initial sound.

It also has to do with the geometry of the room in RFZ rooms
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
All the responses are saying the same thing in different words. Adding to the different words, as a room becomes wider, in the layout sense, there is less need for treatment of the early reflection points on the sides to maintain early sound criteria.

An example of the criteria quantified is the EBU 3276 early refelctions within 15 ms of the initial sound sound shall be 10 dB down relative to the initial sound. There are numerous varitions on that criteria, but one starts to have significant reduction just from the distance reduction. That is assuming the listening postion is not in the far field.

Andre
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by avare ➑️
Adding to the different words, as a room becomes wider, in the layout sense, there is less need for treatment of the early reflection points on the sides to maintain early sound criteria.

Andre
Very true, but that also means, more treatment is needed in the back/front!!! its a give and take, making one side further makes the other side closer... so it really doesnt change much!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixoblivion ➑️
Very true, but that also means, more treatment is needed in the back/front!!! its a give and take, making one side further makes the other side closer... so it really doesnt change much!
Where are you getting "that also means, more treatment is needed in the back/front!!!" from? Standard treatment for back walls is full range absorption with diffusers in front. Front wall is usually reflective, particularly with flush mounted monitors. This does not change with the room layout.

What "changes" with larger control rooms is a that a configuration with the longest dimension being the width becomes a viable option.

Andre
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by avare ➑️
Where are you getting "that also means, more treatment is needed in the back/front!!!" from? Standard treatment for back walls is full range absorption with diffusers in front. Front wall is usually reflective, particularly with flush mounted monitors. This does not change with the room layout.
Andre
Well i was using the same logic as you explained that one needs less absorption on the sides with a wider room, since the sound takes longer to travel. so if the room is longer one needs less absorption (diffusion maybe) since the sound takes longer to travel to the back and then front again...

oh are we not building rooms where the front is being absorbed and the back diffused anymore?? interesting. i thought, that was the standard! :P
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…