Quantcast
acoustic panels???? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
acoustic panels????
Old 17th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
acoustic panels????

I've been reading about building my own acoustic panels. its sounds like roxul board 60 is a better choice than roxul safe and sound. I have seen this at my local HD store roxul 410004 comfort board IS 1.5x24x48. is this the right stuff?
for making acoustic panels.
thanks
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I've done a bit of research on this and am thinking 1.5 inches is way to thin to be much good. You'd probably need to have 3 layers to start impacting your sound. I've looked at this thing a bunch of different ways, and am of the opinion that, done right, you won't save too much $$ by building these yourself. There are several quality vendors that make a great product, many on this board. They'll guide you toward doing it right, at the best possible cost. You may want to save up $$ and do a few at a time.
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBeez ➑️
I've looked at this thing a bunch of different ways, and am of the opinion that, done right, you won't save too much $$ by building these yourself.
Please show your math.
Old 17th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
from what i have read roxul fibre glass board is better than safe and sound.I don't know why I would have to use 4.5 inches of it as jaybeez says. I thought that 1.5 inches of fibre board would be better than 4 inches of roxul safe and sound. help me please
here is a link to the product
Roxul | Roxul R6 ComfortBoard IS Insulated Sheathing Board for Basement and Exterior Wall Applications | Home Depot Canada
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
What are you making them to absorb? 1.5 of that material isn't going to do to much. 4" of safe n sound isn't going to do to much due to soft density of the material it's best best is to capture low frequencies, but 4" won't do to much in that area. 1.5 would be cool, but making them atleast 3" to capture high frequencies would be best cost to space ratio. While making them 6-9" would probably work best for catching the lows.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
How deep are you making the absorbers? At 4" thick the Roxul 60 is better. At 7" Safe N Sound is better.

I do not recommend absorbers less than 4" thick.

Andre
Old 17th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I have built a 10x10 room room in my basement which have 2 walls of cement. I built new wall 2inches of the cement walls. I put Roxul safe and sound in all the walls and the ceiling. I will be using the room for mixing and recording vocals. I'am putting carpet on the cement floor. I'am wanting to build some accoustic panels for the room.
I would like to make the panels like only two inches on the wall. What Roxul product can I use.
Thanks for the help
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by newby ➑️
I have built a 10x10 room room in my basement which have 2 walls of cement. I built new wall 2inches of the cement walls. I put Roxul safe and sound in all the walls and the ceiling. I will be using the room for mixing and recording vocals. I'am putting carpet on the cement floor. I'am wanting to build some accoustic panels for the room.
I would like to make the panels like only two inches on the wall. What Roxul product can I use.
Thanks for the help
Ok, one more time:

https://gearspace.com/board/8269584-post5.html

and also:

Flooring question

Old 7th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncamorea ➑️
Please show your math.
2 inch Roxul = $10
1x4 Frame = $7
1.5 yards Burlap = $9
Glue, Staples, Wall Hangers, etc. = $3
Total Cost = $29

I can buy these pre-made (and better than I can do) for $50 locally. So, while technically the materials for home-made are cheaper, I estimate a minimum of 2 hours to put each one of these together. Which means my time (which I have none to spare) would be worth About $10 / hour. That isn't enough pay for me to take on building these things. I put 10 in my room. I could have saved $200, but would have had to find 20 hours to put them together.
Old 9th October 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
See Andre's 4" comment above.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…